The actual I am watching the World Cup thread. No, non World Cup watchers please. Spoilers.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    drhaggis said:

England have always been a last 8 team (imho).

Getting to the semis a sucess, getting knocked out in the round of 16 a failure

If they are going to win it they need to do what the women did - beat teams who are/have been better than they are

I think worldwide we are 8-16 so I would argue last 16 is playing to par and quarters is us doing well
    I feel the current team is better than a last-16 team. But then, football is life.

I'd say player for player in recent times you could make a good argument we are top 4.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • drhaggis said:

England have always been a last 8 team (imho).

Getting to the semis a sucess, getting knocked out in the round of 16 a failure

If they are going to win it they need to do what the women did - beat teams who are/have been better than they are

I think worldwide we are 8-16 so I would argue last 16 is playing to par and quarters is us doing well
    I feel the current team is better than a last-16 team. But then, football is life.

I'd say player for player in recent times you could make a good argument we are top 4.
    I would say 2 of France/Germany/Italy/Spain have been ahead of us in recent times plus one other in Europe like Belgium, Croatia, Portugal and then Brazil/Argentina.

In this tournament I would say only France are measureably better than us and that is without half of their team.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,945
    2 rapid goals from Japan stun Spain.
    Costa Rica equalize against Germany.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Costa rica in front. That would put Spain and Germany out!
    Still 20 minutes to go mind so a lot can happen yet!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,944

Costa rica in front. That would put Spain and Germany out!
    Still 20 minutes to go mind so a lot can happen yet!

Germany scores to put Spain back in
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Germany now in front, but still wouldn't be enough for Germany
  • tailwindhome
    As the commentators have identified.

Spain go through as it stands - but with the benefit of eliminating Germany- so long as they stick with a 2-1 loss

Mad group
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Spain need to realise that Germany are heading out and stick with the current result
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,790

Spain need to realise that Germany are heading out and stick with the current result

Not if they want to top the group
  • Dorset_Boy
    Japan win.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Germany win 4-2 but say good bye to Qatar
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    edited December 2022
    El Pais has a decent picture of the ball ITV are complaining about:
    https://elpais.com/deportes/mundial-futbol/2022-12-01/japon-espana-partido-del-grupo-e-del-mundial-de-qatar-en-directo.html

EDIT: It's also on their home website.
  • drhaggis said:

https://elpais.com/deportes/mundial-futbol/2022-12-01/japon-espana-partido-del-grupo-e-del-mundial-de-qatar-en-directo.html

That's still in.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

drhaggis said:

That's still in.
    From that angle, I agree it seems the ball's in by the skin of its teeth. However, the argument is not showing VAR or replays. Which I'm not sure about, because I was cooking dinner.
  • I was only vaguely watching without sound, but couldn't work out why Germany's 4th wasn't off side.
  • tailwindhome
    From the routes to the final graphic ITV just showed, it looks like England need to get past France, then Spain then either Argentina or Brazil in the final
  • tailwindhome
    For the neutral/non-English fan, a France v Spain & Argentina v Brazil pair of semifinals would be classic World Cup
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201

drhaggis said:

That's still in.
    Looks like the overhead, flying camera has taken that one but don't think that is used for VAR decisions. By the letter of the law, it is in by the thickness of a Rizla paper in that photo..........but that photo isnt necessarily at the extremity of its path, it may well have gone further. I think the ITV pundits were wanting to see the footage that was used to make the VAR decision. Souness is on a mission with it.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,656

Germany win 4-2 but say good bye to Qatar

Xmas party here and as a Japanese HQ'd company it was quite lively tonight as we had the Japan v Spain game on the big screen. The Japanese expats were absolutely lathered by the end of it.

Anyway, Auf Wiedersehen Germany :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,656

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • crescent said:

drhaggis said:

That's still in.
    Looks like the overhead, flying camera has taken that one but don't think that is used for VAR decisions. By the letter of the law, it is in by the thickness of a Rizla paper in that photo..........but that photo isnt necessarily at the extremity of its path, it may well have gone further. I think the ITV pundits were wanting to see the footage that was used to make the VAR decision. Souness is on a mission with it.
    Someone tell him this is it.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Damn

Bad evening to miss...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    edited December 2022
    The image in the twitter link above is a good example of parallax error - the angle which you view something three dimensional is critical in establishing an accurate image. If you look at the needle on a pressure gauge, for instance, then you need to view the face perpendicularly, if you view it from several angles you will get very different readings.
    I think the ITV point was that there must be a conclusive image that showed it was still in, because all initial evidence strongly suggested it was out, as the referee decided at the time.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2022
    Terrible punditry. It was a big moment and all those sour men could bang on about is a f@cking photo.

They have Hawkeye in the stadium and a sensor literally in the ball.
  • Someone needs to tell Souness a ball is spherical. He is an absolute walloper. Proper, bad bell end.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,641
    Just saw the various camera angles of the Japan goal and the first one I was firmly in the ‘it has to be out’ camp as it looked so far over the line then I see others where it looks like the bottom of the ball is only just over the line and the rear of the ball is clearly in. It’s one area where you definitely need to trust the technology.
  • tailwindhome
    Pound for pound I don't think there's a team consistently performs as well as Croatia
  • rick_chasey

Pound for pound I don't think there's a team consistently performs as well as Croatia

What have you been smoking?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,401

Terrible punditry. It was a big moment and all those sour men could bang on about is a f@cking photo.

They have Hawkeye in the stadium and a sensor literally in the ball.

Isn't that only within the goal though? All other line decisions are at the mercy of the officials.