The actual I am watching the World Cup thread. No, non World Cup watchers please. Spoilers.

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,318
edited November 2022 in The cake stop
England vs Iran at 1pm. Stupid bloody time but hey ho.

My guess for today's squad.

Pickford, Walker, Stones, McGuire, Shaw, mount, Bellingham, Foden, Saka, Kane, Sterling.

Rashford’s has found some form but might have not be as confident with the England squad. Kalvin Phillips might be in to sure up the midfield. Trippier could be in for Walker if there’s a doubt over fitness.
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216
    Not sure you need Walker's pace against Iran, so I'd be inclined to start Trippier as he's a bit savvier...
  • seanoconn

Not sure you need Walker's pace against Iran, so I'd be inclined to start Trippier as he's a bit savvier...

I prefer Trippier to be honest and gives you options with free kicks. Walker’s fine but is inclined to make silly errors. He’s necessary if you’re up against pace like Mbappe though.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    edited November 2022
    Nice to see that exclusion is still alive and kicking. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Little warm up game for the group before the proper match at 7pm. You can tell the priority by which gets prime time TV.
  • seanoconn
    Pross said:

Little warm up game for the group before the proper match at 7pm. You can tell the priority by which gets prime time TV.

😂
  • Little warm up game for the group before the proper match at 7pm.

I thought Senegal v Netherlands was at 4pm? ;)
  • rick_chasey

Little warm up game for the group before the proper match at 7pm.

I thought Senegal v Netherlands was at 4pm? ;)
    NGL has wrecked my afternoon.
  • seanoconn said:

I prefer Trippier to be honest and gives you options with free kicks. Walker’s fine but is inclined to make silly errors. He’s necessary if you’re up against pace like Mbappe though.
    According to a Spurs season ticket holder, he needs that pace because his positional play is so bad.
  • seanoconn
    edited November 2022
    Double post
  • I will be keeping half an eye on it but my opinion is that our group is so sh1t that we should walk it and if we don't then I won't want to watch it anyway.

I am assuming my interest will pick up when we need to win by two clear goals to qualify or watching other groups to see who we play next.
  • rick_chasey

I will be keeping half an eye on it but my opinion is that our group is so censored that we should walk it and if we don't then I won't want to watch it anyway.

I am assuming my interest will pick up when we need to win by two clear goals to qualify or watching other groups to see who we play next.

Strength of opposition in the path to the final is underrated.

England lucked out last world cup and if they have any control over it they should go for the easiest route to the final again.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

I will be keeping half an eye on it but my opinion is that our group is so censored that we should walk it and if we don't then I won't want to watch it anyway.

Strength of opposition in the path to the final is underrated.

England lucked out last world cup and if they have any control over it they should go for the easiest route to the final again.
    footballing genius. amazing that no one thought of this before.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,366

Saw something yesterday that uses FIFA rankings . . . we are "officially" in the Group of Death!

This is due to the height and proximity of rankings - All in Group B are in the top 20.

For me, Kalvin Phillips is the player England have missed most since the Euros
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • I don't quite get why the press is making a big deal of Qatar losing their first match... was there an expectation of them to beat Ecuador? It seems bizarre to me, I always took for granted they would lose all the matches
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross

I don't quite get why the press is making a big deal of Qatar losing their first match... was there an expectation of them to beat Ecuador? It seems bizarre to me, I always took for granted they would lose all the matches

I think it was more to do with just how bad they were. They would never get near a World Cup finals that they hadn't bought their way into as host nation.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,366
    England XI:
    Pickford, Stones, Maguire, Trippier, Rice, Bellingham, Mount, Shaw, Saka, Kane, Sterling
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • seanoconn
    Pross said:

I don't quite get why the press is making a big deal of Qatar losing their first match... was there an expectation of them to beat Ecuador? It seems bizarre to me, I always took for granted they would lose all the matches

I think it was more to do with just how bad they were. They would never get near a World Cup finals that they hadn't bought their way into as host nation.
    I was half expecting a Sheik to walk on the pitch and drag the team off in disgust after Ecuador scored.
  • I don't quite get why the press is making a big deal of Qatar losing their first match... was there an expectation of them to beat Ecuador? It seems bizarre to me, I always took for granted they would lose all the matches

I would be interested to know what the expectations are within Qatar? As they have spent x number of billions on it, and with perhaps less football knowledge amongst the wider population, maybe many Qataris thought the national team were a little better than the reality.

I think anyone who follows football reasonably closely knows it will take a minor miracle for Qatar to pick up a single point in the group stages.
  • rick_chasey

England XI:
    Pickford, Stones, Maguire, Trippier, Rice, Bellingham, Mount, Shaw, Saka, Kane, Sterling

Forum agrees with the choice at right back by the looks of it.
  • seanoconn

England XI:

Looks well balanced
  • I wonder how many students will come to the lecture at 1PM... :D

left the forum March 2023
  • seanoconn

I wonder how many students will come to the lecture at 1PM... :D

Do you have a big screen protector?
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022
    Some pretty funny banners being put up by the Iranians.

• Pross
    Football is a disgrace with head injuries
  • Pross said:

That was incredible.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    you'd think they'd get the spelling correct!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,503
    Pross said:

Much better in pro cycling...
  • Pross

Pross said:

Much better in pro cycling...
    They’ve started to make an effort in cycling despite it being more of a challenge than simply insisting on a substitution whilst checks are out. It ended up wasting even more time as well.
  • Pross
    This is becoming a rout. These players will be trying to avoid going home if they get hammered by England and the US!
  • Not sure I've seen 14 minutes added time before.

Good score for the first half hour!