The actual I am watching the World Cup thread. No, non World Cup watchers please. Spoilers.

Comments

• seanoconn said:

No idea on the Southgate Foden vs Mount issue. I suspect he does think he is a wide player. Grealish is the direct replacement for Mount hence why he always subs him for Jack.

Completely agree on the defensive nature, against both Croatia and Italy we were attacking and on top and the risk averse side of him kicked in and tried to protect the lead.

I don't think he doesn't know what to do or how to change things. He chooses not to, he feels he is making the right decisions and sticks to them. Like I said, he is conservative in approach and feels keeping it tight and taking the result on offer in light of this (a draw in last night's case) is the best approach.

He will also have an eye on the tournament as a whole. They got a good win first game, he wanted to protect their position and not lose yesterday. He will see the group stage as something to be navigated and play each game accordingly, rather than just attack and go all out every game.

I think he has snookered himself as he has no alternative to Kane and he looked unfit/injured.

Grealish is a show pony with no end product with no defensive discipline (even Sterling is better) so it beggars belief that anybody could prefer him to Foden.

Grealish holds the ball in high positions better than Sterling, Rashford or Saka he gives possession away less than them too. What he doesn't offer is the same goal threat but in some recent Man City games Grealish has been their best player. I wouldn't object to Grealish left, Foden right, Maddison behind and a number 9 who plays as a 9. Swings and roundabouts - you can make the case for Sterling, Saka or Rashford too depending on how we want to play.
    The amount of possession Grealish has is the problem, slowing the pace of the game with little attacking threat and drawing fouls in non-threatening areas. Might be ok if you’re defending a lead but not for trying to win a game.
    He should have stayed at Villa and been a hero

For me Grealish has been consistently pretty good for England. The evidence from the other night when he came on suggests he does draw fouls in dangerous areas and does create big chances - the backheel to (I think) Foden being one.

His running with the ball drags opposition players about and creates space for others - sometimes slowing it down allows team mates to get up in support notably Kane who spends so much time in deep positions.
    He is 27 years old in the prime of his career, in the 26 games for England he has scored against Andorra and against a well beaten Iran. I can not find his start for assists so it may be zero.

He has played 130 premier league games scoring 19 goals and 19 assists.

You have been conned into thinking he is a good player.
  • Foden's scored a goal every 130 minutes of play this season. 7 goals in 14 league games sounds like good form.

Grealish seems a player to bring on to slow the game down and get fouled. Which he is very good at.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,424

Foden's scored a goal every 130 minutes of play this season. 7 goals in 14 league games sounds like good form.

Grealish seems a player to bring on to slow the game down and fall over, cheating out a foul. Which he is very good at.

Fixed for you

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pet hate but people knowingly doing things that are punished with free kicks and cards isn’t cheating. It’s just playing game.

If they gave a goal to the opposition every time someone dived they stay on their feet as much as they could.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865
    edited November 2022

Foden's scored a goal every 130 minutes of play this season. 7 goals in 14 league games sounds like good form.

Grealish seems a player to bring on to slow the game down and fall over, cheating out a foul. Which he is very good at.

Fixed for you

He started 22 matches for the champions last year so it's obviously a sought after skill.

He gets kicked and goes down. It's not him that's breaking the rules there.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Pet hate but people knowingly doing things that are punished with free kicks and cards isn’t cheating. It’s just playing game.

If they gave a goal to the opposition every time someone dived they stay on their feet as much as they could.

There's unwritten rules.

Diving is cheating, unless there's enough contact to justify going down

Hand ball is cheating, if its to score, but OK if defending, unless on the goal line.

Fouling to prevent a quick attack is OK, unless it's a too obvious shirt pull

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey

There's unwritten rules.

Diving is cheating, unless there's enough contact to justify going down

Hand ball is cheating, if its to score, but OK if defending, unless on the goal line.

Fouling to prevent a quick attack is OK, unless it's a too obvious shirt pull

They’re for mugs, especially when stakes are high.

If I was coach I’d bang on and on about playing fairly publicly and tell them to dive as much as they could get away with, along with cynical fouls, the lot.
  • Foden's scored a goal every 130 minutes of play this season. 7 goals in 14 league games sounds like good form.

Fixed for you

He started 22 matches for the champions last year so it's obviously a sought after skill.

He played 26 league games and scored 3 goals, surely that is the output of a fullback.

If I played up front for City last year I would have been disappointed if I did not get 3 goals.
  • rick_chasey

Fixed for you

He played 26 league games and scored 3 goals, surely that is the output of a fullback.

If I played up front for City last year I would have been disappointed if I did not get 3 goals.
    Decent paycheque however and like City care
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865
    edited November 2022

Fixed for you

The man who actually got to select him chose to play him over anything else money could buy. And won. So there's that.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,635
    I think England should drop Saka for the benefit of his employers.

Fixed for you

The man who actually got to select him chose to play him over anything else money could buy. And won. So there's that.
    Except it isn’t anybody else that money can buy as they have to meet a quota of “home grown” players. If it wasn’t for that do you not think City could find somebody a lot cheaper to fall over a lot?
  • Who decided on Shearer as a co-commentator, he is bad enough as a pundit.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,636

Who decided on Shearer as a co-commentator, he is bad enough as a pundit.

Don’t mind Shearer as a pundit, fairly sensible and honest.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Agree he is a straight up bloke, just never found him that insightful as a pundit. Particularly for someone who was a genuinely world class footballer. His analysis always seems a bit obvious.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,293

Agree he is a straight up bloke, just never found him that insightful as a pundit. Particularly for someone who was a genuinely world class footballer. His analysis always seems a bit obvious.

Maybe that’s because it is all fairly obvious at the end of the day despite all the people who get paid to make it sound more complicated?
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Agree he is a straight up bloke, just never found him that insightful as a pundit. Particularly for someone who was a genuinely world class footballer. His analysis always seems a bit obvious.

Maybe that’s because it is all fairly obvious at the end of the day despite all the people who get paid to make it sound more complicated?
    This is the kind of analysis you’d hope for:
    https://youtu.be/4wAG5ZUJ4eI
  • It is simple, but give us more insight. Germany have a corner just now in the last minute. Shearer "you want a quality ball". Yes, but you were one of the best attacking headers of a ball in the game. Tell us where you would you want the cross placed, where you would start your run from, how you would shake off your marker etc. You have an insight into this game none if us have had, share it!
  • Pross
    TBF it is tricky to do that in real-time during a match though. I don’t watch MOTD much but isn’t that the sort of thing he does on there with the big screen and moving players around to show where they should have been running?
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

TBF it is tricky to do that in real-time during a match though. I don’t watch MOTD much but isn’t that the sort of thing he does on there with the big screen and moving players around to show where they should have been running?

It’s mainly “look at that” which is a favourite of his and then he’ll highlight some player in loads of space and he’ll say “you’ve got to get closer - it’s unacceptable” and then they’ll see a chance and he’ll say “he’s got to do better than that”

It’s all the chat they get told at training without the swearing.
  • I just want to see Foden play football.

Seems to be either him or mount. Who was poor yesterday.

I reckon Foden must have made a joke about Southgate's nose at some point, and that's why he's always on the bench.
    he has a history of not knowing how to behave so maybe he has erred again
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,517
    Cameroon v Serbia - Cameroon come back from 3-1 down to make it 3-3 with 18 minutes left to play . . . it's a cracker!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048

seanoconn said:

No idea on the Southgate Foden vs Mount issue. I suspect he does think he is a wide player. Grealish is the direct replacement for Mount hence why he always subs him for Jack.

Completely agree on the defensive nature, against both Croatia and Italy we were attacking and on top and the risk averse side of him kicked in and tried to protect the lead.

I don't think he doesn't know what to do or how to change things. He chooses not to, he feels he is making the right decisions and sticks to them. Like I said, he is conservative in approach and feels keeping it tight and taking the result on offer in light of this (a draw in last night's case) is the best approach.

He will also have an eye on the tournament as a whole. They got a good win first game, he wanted to protect their position and not lose yesterday. He will see the group stage as something to be navigated and play each game accordingly, rather than just attack and go all out every game.

I think he has snookered himself as he has no alternative to Kane and he looked unfit/injured.

Grealish is a show pony with no end product with no defensive discipline (even Sterling is better) so it beggars belief that anybody could prefer him to Foden.

Grealish holds the ball in high positions better than Sterling, Rashford or Saka he gives possession away less than them too. What he doesn't offer is the same goal threat but in some recent Man City games Grealish has been their best player. I wouldn't object to Grealish left, Foden right, Maddison behind and a number 9 who plays as a 9. Swings and roundabouts - you can make the case for Sterling, Saka or Rashford too depending on how we want to play.
    The amount of possession Grealish has is the problem, slowing the pace of the game with little attacking threat and drawing fouls in non-threatening areas. Might be ok if you’re defending a lead but not for trying to win a game.
    He should have stayed at Villa and been a hero

For me Grealish has been consistently pretty good for England. The evidence from the other night when he came on suggests he does draw fouls in dangerous areas and does create big chances - the backheel to (I think) Foden being one.

His running with the ball drags opposition players about and creates space for others - sometimes slowing it down allows team mates to get up in support notably Kane who spends so much time in deep positions.
    He is 27 years old in the prime of his career, in the 26 games for England he has scored against Andorra and against a well beaten Iran. I can not find his start for assists so it may be zero.

He has played 130 premier league games scoring 19 goals and 19 assists.

You have been conned into thinking he is a good player.
    Let's just play 11 centre forwards then we'll score shed loads.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048

It is simple, but give us more insight. Germany have a corner just now in the last minute. Shearer "you want a quality ball". Yes, but you were one of the best attacking headers of a ball in the game. Tell us where you would you want the cross placed, where you would start your run from, how you would shake off your marker etc. You have an insight into this game none if us have had, share it!

I get your point but I wouldn't want the football equivalent of ITVs Tour coverage where the assumption seems to be the viewer has never watched the sport before and requires the bleedin' obvious explained every time it happens.

Shearer is just a poor pundit though - I know that attitude, commitment, work rate etc are a huge part of football but I rarely hear Shearer offer anything beyond that level of insight.

I was surprised some of the female pundits were compared unfavourably with him on here because for my money their analysis is generally far more insightful.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Fixed for you

Except it isn’t anybody else that money can buy as they have to meet a quota of “home grown” players. If it wasn’t for that do you not think City could find somebody a lot cheaper to fall over a lot?
    Man City have space for another 3 non-home grown players in their squad this season if they wanted them.
  • rick_chasey
    Ghana Korea match is great.
  • Pross
    Just saw the challenge on Neymar that ITV showed where he injured his ankle. It looked more like he stood on the defenders foot and went over than the other player caught him but couldn't wind back to check what I'd seen. Was it that bad a tackle?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Portugal v Uruguay already showing prime primadonna-ing. "He touch me, he touch me..." I do want to see Suarez get subbed on then bite Me-Me-Me-CR7. Moneyballer waynekers.
  • Foden.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,636
    Rashford
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי