Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,744
    Talk the talk or walk the walk?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,466

pinno said:

orraloon said:

Oh Musk is a pr!ck, but I hate this sort of concerned-but-won't-do-anything-about-it stuff.

Throwing your arms up and going "pfft, isn't everyone else awful?"

So, what are you doing?
    Bet my entire career that the world gets serious about the energy transition. In my little corner of a corner of the market, I am exclusively focused on sustainability. I spend a lot of time thinking about it when i'm on the plane...
    What can I say, I've actually put my money where my mouth is. Servicing companies which are doing something proactive around sustainability, the energy transition and other responsible behaviour. Even better, I've set this whole new area in my business up from scratch. So anything and everything we do in this space is down to me.

That's better than 99% of people who sit there whining about the world ending because of human behaviour but not doing anything proactive about it themselves.

Go wang on about all your various porsches and how everyone else is a hypocrite. That'll help.
    Good for you, though it shouldn't make you holier than thou.
    Anyway, you know my carbon footprint is negative plus I only drive 8k pa, most of it in a BMW averaging 44mpg.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,816
    Did not have a green p***ing contest on my bingo card 😁.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,759
    How will we decide who wins the green halo here?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

How will we decide who wins the green halo here?

Not looking for a halo, just pointing out that i'm no hypocrite.

It's a bit odd really, as Rick doesn't care for greenery nor wildlife.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,918

If people are making money out of it, then it's easy. It's when they are not that it's tricky.

Why does it need to be hard?

Making it easy is the route to success
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    pinno said:

pinno said:

orraloon said:

Oh Musk is a pr!ck, but I hate this sort of concerned-but-won't-do-anything-about-it stuff.

So, what are you doing?
    Bet my entire career that the world gets serious about the energy transition. In my little corner of a corner of the market, I am exclusively focused on sustainability. I spend a lot of time thinking about it when i'm on the plane...
    What can I say, I've actually put my money where my mouth is. Servicing companies which are doing something proactive around sustainability, the energy transition and other responsible behaviour. Even better, I've set this whole new area in my business up from scratch. So anything and everything we do in this space is down to me.

That's better than 99% of people who sit there whining about the world ending because of human behaviour but not doing anything proactive about it themselves.

Go wang on about all your various porsches and how everyone else is a hypocrite. That'll help.
    Anyway, you know my carbon footprint is negative plus I only drive 8k pa, most of it in a BMW averaging 44mpg.
    It's not about holier than thou, it's more about the not liking the attitude from people like you who think they are holier because they do some nonsense at the margins of their own behaviour that will make f*ck all difference, even in the aggregate, and they talk about how they care about wildlife, as if that even matters.

I don't go around telling people they're bad for the environment or that everyone else is the problem apart from me.

I recognise it's a basic political problem and a problem of aligning incentives, and I will not have a go at anyone for responding rationally to incentives. It's up to the leaders in this world, both actual politicians but also leaders in individual fields, however large or small, to work to set the system up in a way that rewards sustainable behaviour.

It is a transition and it will not happen overnight > it'll almost certainly happen after large swathes of this forum passes away. But there are a lot of people who are working on that, and I am privileged enough in my professional life people to meet those people on a daily basis - not because they are somehow heroes, but because they understand the basics of delivery, commerce and incentives, and can balance the strategic and details of sustainability in their field.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,914
    A simple reminder that this tangent was about Musky sending multiple mahoosive rockets into the sky at a cost of billions in an effort to get to Mars.
    It was not about our individual actions.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    It is ironic that someone who made such a success out of the desire and anticipation that electrification is a critical part of the transition, is so disinterested in it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,723

If people are making money out of it, then it's easy. It's when they are not that it's tricky.

My point being that I have more respect for someone who sacrifices a lot to make the world a better place than for someone who makes the world a better place because it makes them rich. That is not to say that I think it is wrong to incentivise people with money to make the world a better place, but that putting the incentives in place is the really good bit.
  • rick_chasey

My point being that I have more respect for someone who sacrifices a lot to make the world a better place than for someone who makes the world a better place because it makes them rich. That is not to say that I think it is wrong to incentivise people with money to make the world a better place, but that putting the incentives in place is the really good bit.
    lol this is where we differ. I couldn't give a sh!t why they do something. I'm interested in their output. If it's good for the world, great. If they get rewarded for it, so much the better - someone else will want to get that reward too. Win win.
  • pinno

pinno said:

pinno said:

orraloon said:

So, what are you doing?

It's not about holier than thou, it's more about the not liking the attitude from people like you who think they are holier because they do some nonsense at the margins of their own behaviour that will make f*ck all difference, even in the aggregate, and they talk about how they care about wildlife, as if that even matters.
    '...some nonsense... at the margins of their own behaviour...'

You couldn't be more condescending or wrong.

As far as the caring about wildlife is concerned, it is deeply wrapped up in the preservation of habitat.
    Habitat after all, is what keeps us humans alive.

• rick_chasey
    pinno said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

orraloon said:

So, what are you doing?

'...some nonsense... at the margins of their own behaviour...'

You couldn't be more condescending or wrong.

As far as the caring about wildlife is concerned, it is deeply wrapped up in the preservation of habitat.
    Habitat after all, is what keeps us humans alive.

Yeah you don't need to "love wildlife" to understand the importance of biodiversity to sustainability.

You can just not care yourself but recognise the importance.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,101
    From the amount of sponsored ad posts and cr@p on the 'For you' feed I'm blocking on TwiXer, I get the feeling that Musk is desperate to push content. Even when I've blcked multiple accounts dedicated to American Football and basketball, the posts keep on popping up... but it's still quite satisfying blocking them.
  • Good old Elon at an Event told advertisers they can "go fvck themselves"

later in the same interview he aid that it would be advertisers who bankrupt Twitter

He does not sound very well
  • From the amount of sponsored ad posts and cr@p on the 'For you' feed I'm blocking on TwiXer, I get the feeling that Musk is desperate to push content. Even when I've blcked multiple accounts dedicated to American Football and basketball, the posts keep on popping up... but it's still quite satisfying blocking them.

I thought that was just me!

I've managed to divert NFL and NBA, but am now in the crosshairs of the Twitter algorithm that thinks I'm interested in Ukrainian military history or in detailed "scoring" in relation to atrocities in the Middle East.
  • could regular Musk watchers tell us if this is normal?

to me he looks on the edge of a breakdown
    https://youtu.be/U_M_uvDChJQ
  • rick_chasey
    He’s off his tits
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,723
    In a crossover to the economics thread, it reminds me that people who are capable of putting in a few billion on a whim (his investors/lenders) don't necessarily do it very well. I can't imagine doing that in a way that would allow Musk to still be involved.
  • rjsterry

could regular Musk watchers tell us if this is normal?

It's quite disturbing to watch. He does not seem strongly connected with the world outside.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

It's quite disturbing to watch. He does not seem strongly connected with the world outside.

I actually could only watch a couple of minutes. Even with the volume turned down he looks nuts. Deeply bizarre.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    edited December 2023

Yes, it's a shame there are any followers of Mr Musk's greatness frequenting this forum. Maybe they could explain the lack of fear to risk a two hundred billion dollar fortune (Zip2/PayPal) not once but twice with SpaceX and Tesla.

Start filtering yourself, become scared to speak do your mind/goals. Would you risk everything with that attitude and consequently lead an alternate cushy life?

I don't know... He's here in his mold.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,864

Yes, it's a shame there are any followers of Mr Musk's greatness frequenting this forum. Maybe they could explain the lack of fear to risk a two hundred billion dollar fortune (Zip2/PayPal) not once but twice with SpaceX and Tesla.

Start filtering yourself, become scared to speak do your mind/goals. Would you risk everything with that attitude and consequently lead an alternate cushy life?

Because he's an egomaniac?
  • rjsterry

You sound less coherent than Musk, which is an achievement.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

Whatever, sticks and stones.
  • It did hurt a bit though, I feel quite sad now.
  • And I felt Christmassy, December the first and all that.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Whatever, sticks and stones.
    I just meant I couldn't make sense of what you wrote. Risk taking has it's place in challenging received wisdom of what can and can't be done. But he doesn't seem to have any awareness of when that risk taking is beneficial and when it's harmful to his business. Telling your major customers to f*** off because they don't like what you've done with the product is just stupid. Trying to suggest that your customers are responsible for whether your business is doing well is just not being honest with yourself.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    It cheers me up that Musk got community noted on past in which he 'questioned' (aka disparaged) a community note. How long before he decides he doesn't like community notes?