Musky

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,864
    Nice that he’s decided to give a voice to those who have been deprived of their say for so long in reinstating those lovely, reasonable people Katie Hopkins and Tommy Robinson.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,101
    Meanwhile, all of a sudden, my "For you" feed is full of various sports I have absolutely no interest in. Mute, mute, mute...
  • Meanwhile

SpaceX is on track to book revenues of about $9 billion this year across its rocket launch and Starlink businesses, according to people familiar with the matter, with sales projected to rise to around $15 billion in 2024.

Sales for Starlink, in particular, are expected to outpace and exceed the launch business next year as the product becomes available in more regions around the world, according to the people, who asked not to be identified as the information is private. Starlink will then represent the majority of SpaceX revenue, the people said.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-11-06/spacex-eyes-15-billion-in-sales-next-year-on-starlink-strength?leadSource=uverify wall

Nice
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    edited November 2023
    BERLIN, Nov 6 (Reuters) - Tesla (TSLA.O) plans to build a 25,000-euro ($26,838) car at its factory near Berlin, a source with knowledge of the matter said on Monday, in a long-awaited development for the electric vehicle maker which is aiming for mass uptake of its cars.

The source, who declined to be named, did not say when production would begin.

Tesla declined to comment. Its shares were up 3% in pre-market trading in the United States at 0910 GMT.

The steep price tag of electric cars - compounded by high interest rates - is one of several factors holding back uptake of the technology in Europe and the United States, consumer surveys show.

The average retail price of an EV in Europe in the first half of 2023 was over 65,000 euros, according to autos research firm JATO Dynamics, compared to just over 31,000 euros in China.

Musk had long planned to make a more affordable electric car, but said in 2022 he had not yet mastered the technology and shelved the plan.

Still, sources told Reuters in September the carmaker was closing in on an innovation that would allow it to die cast nearly all of the underbody of the EV in one piece, a breakthrough that would speed up production and lower costs.

Expanding into the mass market is critical to meeting Tesla's aim of increasing vehicle deliveries to 20 million by 2030, setting it apart from competitors like Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) who have shied away from setting delivery targets and instead focused their strategies on protecting profit margins in the transition to EVs.

WAGE HIKE
    Chief Executive Elon Musk visited the plant in Gruenheide on Friday and thanked staff for their hard work, a video showed on Musk's social media platform X.

At the same meeting, he informed staff of plans to build the 25,000-euro vehicle there, the source said.

The German plant currently produces the Model Y, Europe's best-selling EV.

The carmaker plans to double the German plant's capacity to 1 million vehicles a year, but has not provided an update on how many cars it produces there since March, when it said it had produced 5,000 vehicles in a week - equivalent to around 250,000 annually.

Local authorities said in October they had asked the carmaker to submit further information on how its expansion plans would adhere to nature conservation laws and would then make a decision on whether to approve them, without providing a timeframe.

Tesla also informed workers on Friday that all staff would receive a 4% pay rise from November onwards, with production workers receiving an additional 2,500 euros per year from February 2024 - equivalent to an 18% pay rise in 1-1/2 years.
    https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-build-25000-euro-car-german-plant-source-2023-11-06/

A smaller cheaper EV (model 2?) would be a good car more suited to Europe.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,344

Meanwhile

SpaceX is on track to book revenues of about $9 billion this year across its rocket launch and Starlink businesses, according to people familiar with the matter, with sales projected to rise to around $15 billion in 2024.

Sales for Starlink, in particular, are expected to outpace and exceed the launch business next year as the product becomes available in more regions around the world, according to the people, who asked not to be identified as the information is private. Starlink will then represent the majority of SpaceX revenue, the people said.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-11-06/spacex-eyes-15-billion-in-sales-next-year-on-starlink-strength?leadSource=uverify wall

Nice
    And profit?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,815
    But he slept in his office for a bit years ago. Surely that counteracts being an antisemitic conspiracy theorist?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

But he slept in his office for a bit years ago. Surely that counteracts being an antisemitic conspiracy theorist?

Don't forget the rockets too.
  • And the mind chip tapping.
  • Oh, and bring back balance to X
  • And he doesn't have a house.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,815

Oh, and bring back balance to X

Yes, there are definitely more idiots on there than when it was owned by a non-idiot.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    Several big advertisers withdrawing adverts from Twixxer because of Musk's approval of antisemitic Tweexes.

I suspect he'll be less worried about the EU not advertising there for the same reason.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,912
    "Today was hailed as incredibly successful by SpaceX engineers, despite the Super Heavy booster experiencing what is known as "a rapid unscheduled disassembly"."

🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    edited November 2023
    pblakeney said:

"Today was hailed as incredibly successful by SpaceX engineers, despite the Super Heavy booster experiencing what is known as "a rapid unscheduled disassembly"."

🤣🤣🤣

I'd say on the second launch that's bloody good progress. How many times have the Falcon rockets failed since evolution/refinement?

Since June 2010, rockets from the Falcon 9 family have been launched 282 times, with 280 full mission successes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Falcon_9_and_Falcon_Heavy_launches

150 metric tonnes fully reusable and 250 metric tonnes expendable.
    https://www.spacex.com/vehicles/starship/#:~:text=Starship is the world's most,and 250 metric tonnes expendable.
    I still can't get over the capacity,150-250 tonne payload compared to the Shuttles max of 25 tonnes.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,912
    a rapid unscheduled disassembly

No matter how you cut it, that is a funny turn of phrase.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

a rapid unscheduled disassembly

No matter how you cut it, that is a funny turn of phrase.

Oh yeah, "RUD". I guess as long as there is progress it can be taken on the chin. Bloody expensive firework though.
  • focuszing723
    edited November 2023
    I still keep thinking there are Planets in the Universe much older than Earth and at what evolutionary state intelligent matter has evolved on/from them?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399

I still keep thinking there are Planets in the Universe much older than Earth

Sorry, but this is flat-out untrue...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

Worded badly. We know there are Planets older than Earth, consequently intelligent matter on/from them must be more evolved.

Fascinating to know to what advanced state.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,466
    ddraver said:

We can't get there anyway.
    [You definitely won't get there in a pace x rocket]
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,742
    Erm, what about the "take it to warp factor n Mr Sulu" tech? You forgotten that science stuff?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    ddraver said:

Which bit? Earth is around 4.5 billion years old, the universe is nearly 14 billion years old. There almost certainly are planets much older than Earth. Whether any of those planets could support advanced civilisations is potentially different as creation of heavier elements pretty much requires a few cycles of star lifecycles.
  • Did another one blow up? Did it also scatter concrete miles in every direction this time, or have they at least sorted that bit?
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399

ddraver said:

Which bit? Earth is around 4.5 billion years old, the universe is nearly 14 billion years old. There almost certainly are planets much older than Earth. Whether any of those planets could support advanced civilisations is potentially different as creation of heavier elements pretty much requires a few cycles of star lifecycles.
    There is no universal "now" and, by extension, no universal "then". Discussion on age of stuff in a universal context is very complex and, frankly, odd.

I say this following my recent reading of a few books and with no real authority but it really tests the mind! (well, my mind anyway).
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • briantrumpet

I say this following my recent reading of a few books and with no real authority but it really tests the mind! (well, my mind anyway).

I decided some while ago that my brain isn't even close to being big enough to comprehend the universe in any meaningful way, so I just let it get on with it while I think about much more mundane matters such as potholes and what I'm going to eat for dinner.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    pinno said:

ddraver said:

We can't get there anyway.
    [You definitely won't get there in a pace x rocket]
    Agreed. [Agreed]
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno

I decided some while ago that my brain isn't even close to being big enough to comprehend the universe in any meaningful way, so I just let it get on with it while I think about much more mundane matters such as potholes and what I'm going to eat for dinner.
    We are replacing Creation with... err the big bang [creation] and even mapped out the end of the Universe in x billion years.
    Do you see the correlation?
    Humans are constrained by being born, living and then dying. I don't think anyone can think outside of that and I don't think anyone has a brain that can truly comprehend the 'universe'. So much of the BBT is based on multiple hypotheticals. Physics or any science holds little value when based on more than one hypothetical.
    After all, the light patterns, frequencies and back ground radiation we study are so very, very old. Think that a star out there that we see may not even exist anymore.

The furthest man has been from the earth is a tiny distance and we are just presumptive, arrogant specs of dust.
    The hundred of millions that Space x has cost could have been far better spent on preserving this wonderful orb. Rockets are like internal combustion engines in that they are nothing revolutionary, so the latest firework is not a leap forward in technology and in it's current form, will never allow man to travel long distances.

Watching the second space X rocket go bang is sheer poetry; a futile pursuit orchestrated by a silly man on his quest to be immortal.

I'll stop there.

• briantrumpet
    edited November 2023
    pinno said:

We are replacing Creation with... err the big bang [creation] and even mapped out the end of the Universe in x billion years.
    Humans are constrained by being born, living and then dying. I don't think anyone can think outside of that and I don't think anyone has a brain that can truly comprehend the 'universe'. So much of the BBT is based on multiple hypotheticals. Physics or any science holds little value when based on more than one hypothetical.
    After all, the light patterns, frequencies and back ground radiation we study are so very, very old. Think that a star out there that we see may not even exist anymore.

The furthest man has been from the earth is a tiny distance and we are just presumptive, arrogant specs of dust.
    The hundred of millions that Space x has cost could have been far better spent on preserving this wonderful orb. Rockets are like internal combustion engines in that they are nothing revolutionary, so the latest firework is not a leap forward in technology and in it's current form, will never allow man to travel long distances.

Watching the second space X rocket go bang is sheer poetry; a futile pursuit orchestrated by a silly man on his quest to be immortal.

I'll stop there.

Oh, I don't mind people wanting to find out - I found CERN fascinating with their quest to find stuff that particle theorists have, erm, theorised about... knowledge for the sake of knowledge, though maybe with some useful application (for instance, nuclear energy must have been born of that sort of quest). just that I know I'm too stupid to understand or care one way or another. I'm glad that there are people who have better & bigger brains that me (not least as the world would be screwed if there weren't).
  • pinno

pinno said:

I'll stop there.

Oh, I don't mind people wanting to find out - I found CERN fascinating with their quest to find stuff that particle theorists have, erm, theorised about... knowledge for the sake of knowledge, though maybe with some useful application (for instance, nuclear energy must have been born of that sort of quest). just that I know I'm too stupid to understand or care one way or another. I'm glad that there are people who have better & bigger brains that me (not least as the world would be screwed if there weren't).
    What makes you think it isn't screwed?