Musky

Comments

• rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

What level of ai though? Usable self driving cars or the barmy idea of ai government.

The eventual replacement of humanity, unless it shows pity or a connection whereby it's worth preserving.

Look, on the simplest of levels. It can replicate, repair it's self, it can adapt to it's environment, back it's self up, evolve at rate we can't comprehend...

Will it fracture though and different adaptations fight for survival/supremacy?...Probably.

I would love to see what happens in 100, 1000, 10,000, 100,000, 1,000,000 years time.

Fascinating.
    It can do none of these things. Not even close.
    Time.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    edited December 2022
    At the beginning of the 20th century, horse drawn traffic in London was increasing at such a rate that people were confidently predicting that the city would be submerged beneath horse dung if something wasn't done. Breweries had three-storey stables in the centre of London to house all the horses to deliver their beer.

Then we switched to the internal combustion engine. By the late 30s people were planning to completely reorganise cities around motor transport. Then by the end of the 20th century we'd realised that massive urban motorways and elevated walkways weren't the answer either.

Most of our predictions about the next fifty years are wrong.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    That one, too. :)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    rjsterry said:

Most of our predictions about the next fifty years are wrong.

Very few get their 5 year plan correct, far less 50.
    Who thought we'd be where we are today* 5 years ago?

*Reference to politics, economy etc. as I don't know personal circumstances.
    BJ as PM, followed by someone even worse as an example.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    In a hardly surprising development, freezepeach advocate the Muskrat bans journalists from twatter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63996061
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Mr Free Speech has also banned

*Any mention of a competitor (ie Mastodon)
    *The german Government
    *Flight tracking apps that don't exist
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver

• Isn't that fair? Especially with how much grief he's getting now.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Why is he so worried about people knowing where he is? I assume he has 24 hour wall-to-wall security. Has he got something to hide?

• Isn't that fair? Especially with how much grief he's getting now.
    https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

has way more up to date information about the location of planes than anything that account did.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    The thing is, information being publicly available is not the same as somebody packaging it up for easy consumption.

I suspect if somebody summarised all the publicly available info on any one of us, we’d be a little alarmed. What if the same was done to one of our children?

So, I have some sympathy and agree this is one of the reasons for controls on social media and publishing.

However, Musk claimed to be a free speech absolutist. He quite evidently isn’t.

He is clearly quite happy with harmful content as long as it doesn’t affect him.
  • morstar said:

The thing is, information being publicly available is not the same as somebody packaging it up for easy consumption.

I suspect if somebody summarised all the publicly available info on any one of us, we’d be a little alarmed. What if the same was done to one of our children?

So, I have some sympathy and agree this is one of the reasons for controls on social media and publishing.

He is clearly quite happy with harmful content as long as it doesn’t affect him.

This is one piece of information that he has agreed to share about his plane by having a plane. I agree it would be annoying to have that on a site he owns, and probably would boot it too in the circumstances.

Dressing it up in principles is just lame. It's his toy now, if that's how he wants it, just do it and don't try and explain it.

The app's started crashing after the latest update, so not very nice to use. Might be time to jump ship soon unfortunately. New update was needed fast because they needed to get rid of twitter spaces where people were being mean about him by asking questions (and the bans didn't seem to work).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    morstar said:

There lies the rub. Many in favour of free speech have cause to pause when that freedom gives them something they don't like. Principles are fickle.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125

Isn't that fair? Especially with how much grief he's getting now.
    perfectly fair

he gives a platform to people who want to destroy democracy in the usa, inciting violent insurrection is fine by musk, that's his kind of people

he thought it was funny to promote lies about paul pelosi after he was violent assaulted, 82 year old guy attacked with a hammer, musk really loved it, that's what he thinks is fun

he called that cave rescuer a paedophile simply for calling out musk's self-promoting garbage, no one may insult the holy musk

he sacked twitter's cleaning staff before christmas, because he's a real family man, yeah, lovely guy

his kids have armed security, they are at no more risk from opportunistic nutters - the sort that musk thought was funny when pelosi was attacked - than anyone else, professionals won't be relying on twitter for information

musk is a loathsome little shi​t, he loves it when others are the victim, but whines when he doesn't like scrutiny

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    Meanwhile, the Tesla share price continues to fall and dips below $150...

Am I wrong to be amused?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    You can look his plane up on flight radar anyway.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3SQOm1A_us
    The agnosticism towards greatness and the derision shown towards the noble pursuit of protecting humanity astounds me.

The crazy thing too is you all keep quoting twitter, therefore supporting one of his business. How fickle.
  • !! F I C K L E !!
  • morstar
    He’s a very driven man who has achieved a lot of success.
    As with most highly driven people, he has some extreme personality flaws.
    Currently, his flaws are being severely exposed.
    He made a bad decision (to buy Twitter) based on hubris and naivety.
    He lied lots about his free speech advocacy as a cover for wanting a lack of censorship on specific views.
    He has treated people like crap while tanking the value of his investment.
    I have not quoted Twitter. I came off it in 2012. I don’t like it. I have been very impressed by what spacex has done.
    I think Musk is an utter bell end though.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    edited December 2022
    sungod said:

perfectly fair

he gives a platform to people who want to destroy democracy in the usa, inciting violent insurrection is fine by musk, that's his kind of people

he thought it was funny to promote lies about paul pelosi after he was violent assaulted, 82 year old guy attacked with a hammer, musk really loved it, that's what he thinks is fun

he called that cave rescuer a paedophile simply for calling out musk's self-promoting garbage, no one may insult the holy musk

he sacked twitter's cleaning staff before christmas, because he's a real family man, yeah, lovely guy

his kids have armed security, they are at no more risk from opportunistic nutters - the sort that musk thought was funny when pelosi was attacked - than anyone else, professionals won't be relying on twitter for information

musk is a loathsome little shi​t, he loves it when others are the victim, but whines when he doesn't like scrutiny

Yep he was a pr@ saying that and I acknowledged the way in which he sacked half the workforce wasn't good. The company was/is hemorrhaging money so something had to be done quickly though.

I've said before, how many CEO's do exactly the same, it's just they they don't court the media (you aren't all on their backs) which has worked for Musk and others (Branson, Dyson, Sugar, Tru...ummm forget that).
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    edited December 2022
    morstar said:

He lied lots about his free speech advocacy as a cover for wanting a lack of censorship on specific views.
    He has treated people like censored while tanking the value of his investment.
    I have not quoted Twitter. I came off it in 2012. I don’t like it. I have been very impressed by what spacex has done.

Has your opinion of him changed since he started spinning the Twitter plate? Or was it shot before that?

I think I remember you saying some positive things about his businesses in the spacey threads?
  • rick_chasey

Am I wrong to be amused?

Given Tesla market cap, you probably own some via your pension…
  • Meanwhile, the Tesla share price continues to fall and dips below $150...

Am I wrong to be amused?

And, and he still quotes Twitter.
  • morstar

morstar said:

He has treated people like censored while tanking the value of his investment.

Has your opinion of him changed since he started spinning the Twitter plate? Or was it shot before that?

I think I remember you saying some positive things about his businesses in the spacey threads?
    I am very impressed by what Spacex has done.
    It takes very strong vision and determination to drive the project in the way he has. I don’t credit him with the science but I 100% believe it needs people like him to facilitate the science.

However, I have long held the opinion that over achievers typically have disproportionate personality flaws. That is only natural, big positives, big negatives.

The Twitter saga is showing the worst of him. I also think the sycophancy of others drives the increasingly self indulgent narcissism. However the next 2 or 3 years go, it will be an interesting study in human behaviour.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Am I wrong to be amused?

Yup, it's in 7th place in Vanguard Global All Cap for example, at 0.73%. Was higher I think.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    edited December 2022

sungod said:

perfectly fair

Yep he was a pr@ saying that and I acknowledged the way in which he sacked half the workforce wasn't good. The company was/is hemorrhaging money so something had to be done quickly though.

I've said before, how many CEO's do exactly the same, it's just they they don't court the media (you aren't all on their backs) which has worked for Musk and others (Branson, Dyson, Sugar, Tru...ummm forget that).
    It’s true Musk is attracting more negative attention. In fairness, he’s certainly not the only billionaire pr1ck. Dyson, Branson and Sugar might not be quite in the same league as Musk but are definitely pr1cks too.

The mega wealthy shouldn’t be looked on as a solution to world problems, they are a large problem themselves, hoovering (Dysoning?) up as much wealth as humanly possible.
    The top 10 richest people on the planet have at least six times more combined wealth than the poorest three billion. This inequality leads to mass suffering and deaths.

If these ten lost 99.999% of their wealth, they’d still be richer than 99% of the rest of us mugs putting up with this.
  • rick_chasey
    pangolin said:

Am I wrong to be amused?

Yup, it's in 7th place in Vanguard Global All Cap for example, at 0.73%. Was higher I think.
    All the “tech” firms were higher. Have had a shocker of a 2022
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511

I think the writer of that has had her Twitter account locked. Not that Musk is thin-skinned, or vindictive, or anything. Not like Trump at all. No, definitely not.