Musky

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195

And still Tesla slides. Impressive, even for a genius.

The Muskrat has been flogging off large chunks of 'his' Tesla shares. $40bn... 😳

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63981767

Smells increasingly like another of these crypto ponzi schemes. Pity investment funds got hooked.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

orraloon said:

I'll take my chances here rather than somewhere that he's in charge of my oxygen supply thanks.

What, for say forty years tops? A grain of sand relative to humanities potential expansion.

Personally I think it's futile anyway, AI will takeover, far easier to protect, replicate and expand. That's not humanity.
    You have seen the Terminator documentary series haven't you?

Humans are planet Earth organisms. This Is It.
    (Isn't that The Matrix Documentary...?)
    No. Humans are merely batteries in that documentary. That's the cover story. 😉

Life on Mars? That's the masterplan? Fück up this planet then fück up another? Brilliant!
    The problem is, Mars is already dead before we even arrive. Having virtually no magnetosphere would also mean being irradiated, unless we all live underground.
    Having no animals, no blue skies, no trees, rivers, streams, beaches, sea, rain, snow. Not being able to breathe fresh air, feeling the wind and sun on your skin.
    All the simple things we take for granted would be completely absent. Life on a dead planet.
    Give it 20 years and the Martians would mistrust the Earthlings and vice versa and a new Cold War would start.😂
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    orraloon said:

The Muskrat has been flogging off large chunks of 'his' Tesla shares. $40bn... 😳

Smells increasingly like another of these crypto ponzi schemes. Pity investment funds got hooked.
    It’s not a Ponzi but it probably is debt servicing for twitter.

• ny times

Why hasn't the government suggested that people cut costs at this difficult time by just not paying for stuff they are using?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    orraloon said:

Looks like my assumption was wrong then, and that his Twitter gag is biting him big time. Massive time. The most massive bite in the World, ever.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon

orraloon said:

Yes, I was being derogatory rather than accurate, proper muskrat stylee 😉

He bought Tesla then puffed up the share price, been grossly over inflated for years, based on future potential / promises for a tech which has been straightforward enough for existing motor manufacturers to switch to and grow. So bubble, gamble, take the $ and run before the dawning: like crypto but at least some tangible real world things actually exist.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    masjer said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

orraloon said:

I'll take my chances here rather than somewhere that he's in charge of my oxygen supply thanks.

What, for say forty years tops? A grain of sand relative to humanities potential expansion.

Personally I think it's futile anyway, AI will takeover, far easier to protect, replicate and expand. That's not humanity.

Life on Mars? That's the masterplan? Fück up this planet then fück up another? Brilliant!
    The problem is, Mars is already dead before we even arrive. Having virtually no magnetosphere would also mean being irradiated, unless we all live underground.
    Having no animals, no blue skies, no trees, rivers, streams, beaches, sea, rain, snow. Not being able to breathe fresh air, feeling the wind and sun on your skin.
    All the simple things we take for granted would be completely absent. Life on a dead planet.
    Give it 20 years and the Martians would mistrust the Earthlings and vice versa and a new Cold War would start.😂
    The photography thread would be shite!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Was his fortune really self-made or are there going to be some very angry, powerful people out there?
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Was his fortune really self-made or are there going to be some very angry, powerful people out there?

He did well with the money from his family’s diamond mine.

Tesla is legit a success, even if the dizzying heights of late 2021 meant it was vastly overvalued.
  • orraloon said:

This was my point some time ago, the $44bn could end up looking like a deposit.

Most blue chip stock is owned by funds on a buy and hold basis which means the amount of liquid stock traded on a daily/weekly/monthly basis is surprisingly low. $1bn is less than 1% of the total value of Tesla but will be a much higher % of traded shares so will have a big impact. Then throw in the fact that it is the owner who is selling and that there is more to come and there is no good reason to see the slide halting soon.

A quick Google tells me the average daily turnover is 3 million shares and he sold 22 million in 3 days
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    edited December 2022

Quite enjoying Focus slowly realising what most of us already have

No, no I'm not. Elon Musk is the saviour of humanity and will be regarded as the greatest human by AI historians.

Right, now get on with some work...
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    masjer said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

orraloon said:

Sounds quite like the series The Expanse
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • masjer
    pangolin said:

masjer said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

orraloon said:

Sounds quite like the series The Expanse
    I blame the Belters.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    For those worrying about the coming of AI, relax. It can't work out what a pickaxe is.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

For those worrying about the coming of AI, relax. It can't work out what a pickaxe is.

Sure, but everyone has to agree it's a formality in say 100 - 1000 years, meh really pushing the starship out, say 10,000 years. Else, you're stuck in a cave making some wicker $h1t.

Twitter still keeps getting quoted.

IR's,3.5%. Historic norms.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536
    What level of ai though? Usable self driving cars or the barmy idea of ai government.
  • rick_chasey

No, no I'm not. Elon Musk is the saviour of humanity and will be regarded as the greatest human by AI historians.

Ought to look up cult-of-personality.
  • orraloon

Ought to look up cult-of-personality.
    Is that spelled with an L or an N? 😉
  • Jezyboy said:

What level of ai though? Usable self driving cars or the barmy idea of ai government.

The eventual replacement of humanity, unless it shows pity or a connection whereby it's worth preserving.

Look, on the simplest of levels. It can replicate, repair it's self, it can adapt to it's environment, back it's self up, evolve at rate we can't comprehend...

Will it fracture though and different adaptations fight for survival/supremacy?...Probably.

I would love to see what happens in 100, 1000, 10,000, 100,000, 1,000,000 years time.

Fascinating.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Jezyboy said:

The eventual replacement of humanity, unless it shows pity or a connection whereby it's worth preserving.

Look, on the simplest of levels. It can replicate, repair it's self, it can adapt to it's environment, back it's self up, evolve at rate we can't comprehend...

Will it fracture though and different adaptations fight for survival/supremacy?...Probably.

I would love to see what happens in 100, 1000, 10,000, 100,000, 1,000,000 years time.

Fascinating.
    I mean, it can't. I'm sure one you're imagining can.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Musk is right with regards expanding past Earth though. Isn't the salient goal in life to survive? Asteroid, nuclear war, climate...

Musk has kick started that race for space again, akin to the progression of the 1969 achievement. China's recent achievements will force it too.
  • focuszing723
    edited December 2022
    pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

Fascinating.
    It will happen, look how meaningful computers have evolved in just fifty years.

A matter of time, you Musk see that.
  • pblakeney

Musk is right with regards expanding past Earth though. Isn't the salient goal in life to survive? Asteroid, nuclear war, climate...

Musk has kick started that race for space again, akin to the progression of the 1969 achievement. China's recent achievements will force it too.

Do you, or Musk, have any visions of what life on Mars would be like?
    I'm picturing a very boring life.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125

pangolin said:

Jezyboy said:

Fascinating.
    It will happen, look how meaningful computers have evolved in just fifty.

A matter of time, you Musk see that.
    there's been little evolution of computers, most are based on principles developed decades ago, progress has been in making things faster, smaller and using less power per operation, enabling various types of parallelism etc., nothing revolutionary

they crunch the same binary data with the same set of operators, albeit faster and in greater volume

there is no 'ai' in the sense of actual 'intelligence'

current most effective so-called 'ai' systems are probably those based on reinforcement learning, deep learning etc.

they recapitulate, they calculate, they approximate, but they do not create, nor do they 'understand' what they do, there is no 'self' there to understand, the lights are on but there's no one home

almost all are based on binary logic, the output is a direct algorithmic consequence of the input (systems with an analogue or true random element can be fuzzier)

some can answer (i.e. look up, calculate, etc.) questions and perform tasks beyond humans, but so could the electromechanical computers of many decades ago, it's no big deal

no current computer can design, create or repair itself (n+1 redundancy, ecc etc. aren't repair, they are fault tolerance), let alone arrange provision of power, comms and environmental protection, and there's still not even a hint of self-awareness

will an actual ai ever arise? perhaps one day, at the moment we don't understand how our own 'self' emerges, it's certainly not something we know how to replicate

if a genuine capable 'ai' did ever emerge, evolution tells us that we should destroy it before it gains the ability to destroy us (which it would certainly understand)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • masjer
    edited December 2022

• rick_chasey

I’m going to assume this is a bit.
  • pblakeney said:

Musk is right with regards expanding past Earth though. Isn't the salient goal in life to survive? Asteroid, nuclear war, climate...

It doesn't matter, it's another instance of humaniy and eventually AI if the $h1t hits the fan on Earth.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

It doesn't matter, it's another instance of humaniy and eventually AI if the $h1t hits the fan on Earth.
    The sh!t'll hit the fan before AI is developed to that point. It's not for me and I won't be around in any case. Who cares about the existence of AI past humankind?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    edited December 2022
    I don't care either I'd just love to see how things evolve in the near/distant future and along with that, the bigger questions and answers to why/how we have had the fantastic gift of life/existence and other $h1t.

Life/existence is so precious, yet it can be seen as a slog.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

Jezyboy said:

Fascinating.
    It can do none of these things. Not even close.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition