Musky

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Slowly morphing into Parler 2.0.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    edited November 2022
    Make sure your timeline is set to show "latest tweets first", rather than "home" otherwise you get subjected to their algorithm. That has always been bad. Shows people you don't follow and in a random order.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,509
    Well, I've added my name to the waiting list for post.news, if only to see how it plays out. I guess it's a balancing act for them, trying to get scalable and reliable systems 'architected' as soon as possible, but not wanting to let too many people in too quickly and the whole thing crashing and putting people off.

In visual terms, it's obviously based on the Twitter format, but posts are editable, which has long been a bugbear with Twitter. I've no idea how they plan to do content moderation, but their stated aim is to restrict the hate/conspiracy elements that Musk now seems to think is fine and dandy.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146
    rjsterry said:

Really starting to notice a degeneration in the platform now. Getting all sorts of complete dross flung at me "based on my likes" but not remotely connected to anything I've even viewed. The latest was some nobody conspiracy theorist claiming an attack on a gay bar was an inside job.

Also read an interesting comment from a company that has withdrawn its advertising. Partly because of their ads appearing next to awful content but mostly because the thing wasn't placing their ads properly and there was nobody to talk to to get it sorted.

I get similar with Instagram, all sorts of crappy videos of fights outside pubs, loads of car stuff, there was a phase where it was full of tennis videos. If I click the "why m I seeing this" it will be something like "because you followed a cyclist". Either the algorithms are useless or they aren't even using them and just chuck spam on your feed. I generally like Instagram but I really wish you could go back to before they imposed suggestions on you.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Really starting to notice a degeneration in the platform now. Getting all sorts of complete dross flung at me "based on my likes" but not remotely connected to anything I've even viewed. The latest was some nobody conspiracy theorist claiming an attack on a gay bar was an inside job.

Also read an interesting comment from a company that has withdrawn its advertising. Partly because of their ads appearing next to awful content but mostly because the thing wasn't placing their ads properly and there was nobody to talk to to get it sorted.

I get similar with Instagram, all sorts of crappy videos of fights outside pubs, loads of car stuff, there was a phase where it was full of tennis videos. If I click the "why m I seeing this" it will be something like "because you followed a cyclist". Either the algorithms are useless or they aren't even using them and just chuck spam on your feed. I generally like Instagram but I really wish you could go back to before they imposed suggestions on you.

I 'follow' very few accounts via Twitter, but have them saved as favourites in Chrome, and haven't got the app installed on the phone, so they have less data to work from (ditto Facebook). In any case, I hardly ever look at my home page on Twitter, so seem to largely miss the random stuff they might want to force on me.
  • kingstongraham
    edited November 2022

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

I 'follow' very few accounts via Twitter, but have them saved as favourites in Chrome, and haven't got the app installed on the phone, so they have less data to work from (ditto Facebook). In any case, I hardly ever look at my home page on Twitter, so seem to largely miss the random stuff they might want to force on me.
    If you see the word "Home" at the top of twitter - like this:

Click or tap on the star at top right, and set it to "Latest Tweets" - it improves the user experience massively. Unless you are looking for stuff you aren't interested in from people you don't follow, presented in a seemingly random order.

I expect this to be removed in order to improve engagement by diktat from King Elon, at which point it will start to become unuseable.
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

If you see the word "Home" at the top of twitter - like this:

Click or tap on the star at top right, and set it to "Latest Tweets" - it improves the user experience massively. Unless you are looking for stuff you aren't interested in from people you don't follow, presented in a seemingly random order.

I expect this to be removed in order to improve engagement by diktat from King Elon, at which point it will start to become unuseable.

Just did that to see if it there was anything of any interest there, and the answer was no, so I'll stick to visiting the individual pages of people who interest me.

Musk's own tweets seem to suggest, like Trump, all he's interested is in getting a reaction from lefty libs, reinforcing his self-image of being a genius, or making trolls feel better about themselves.
  • kingstongraham
    edited November 2022
    The point of doing that is that it doesn't give you anything at all, apart from tweets from people you are following. It stops twitter trying to guess what they might be able to interest you in.

I guess if you are only interested in a handful of people who all tweet often, your way works.
  • briantrumpet

The point of doing that is that it doesn't give you anything at all, apart from tweets from people you are following. It stops twitter trying to guess what they might be able to interest you in.

I guess if you are only interested in a handful of people who all tweet often, your way works.

Maybe it's because I follow so few that I'm still seeing in 'Latest tweets' loads from people I don't follow, so maybe they've made up the numbers by looking at the follows of the few people I do follow.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Pross said:

I used to like Instagram but its been turned into a TikTok lite now, full of reels and promoted videos. Quite unappealing now.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Those parody elon musk accounts didn't break the law.
  • briantrumpet
    edited November 2022
    Musk risking falling foul of EU law on allowing hate speech. It'll also turn off pretty much all advertising on it. But of course, he's such a genius.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited November 2022
    Yeah funnily enough German law doesn't take kindly to Nazis and white supremacists anymore.
  • Twitter isn't going away.

It might fall over a bit but it'll still be here.

Indeed, but as Murdoch showed with MySpace, empires fall. I didn't even realise it was still online. At one time it was bigger than Facebook.
    in 2003 any p

Yeah funnily enough German law doesn't take kindly to Nazis and white supremacists anymore.

when did they change that policy?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Apple appears to have removed most of it's advertising cash from twitter...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

Apple appears to have removed most of it's advertising cash from twitter...

Musk is trolling Alexander Vindman (the Purple Heart veteran who stood up to Trump, having come to the US from Ukraine as an infant) with what appear to be antisemitic tropes.

Musk thinks he's a genius, but is just an utter arsewipe.
  • He's a very unsavoury character.

In other news, his twitter for cars seems fun.

• briantrumpet
    edited November 2022
  • He's now decided there are limits, even if you are famous and one of his friends.
  • He's now decided there are limits, even if you are famous and one of his friends.

Ye is so thick he asked "who made you judge?"

Ye is so thick he asked "who made you judge?"
    Musk's position on it seems to be "New Twitter policy is freedom of speech, but not freedom of reach. But, er, not that. That's really bad."
  • briantrumpet
    Well, I've got my post.news log-in now, so can see what's going on inside... not a lot yet, but a few of the people I look up on Twitter are over there already.
  • kingstongraham
    edited December 2022
    This is what twitter is that won't be replicated elsewhere.

"It happened to me too" replies from (among others) Stephen King, Margaret Atwood, Jodi Picoult, Neil Gaiman, Joanne Harris.
  • I spend most of my time on Twitter on the NAFO* front line trolling Vatniks, so my timeline is pretty much swamped with the ongoing war. My intense Russophobe posting might be screwing up the algorithm and keeping the tw4ts at bay for now.

*We're not CIA. Honest...
  • briantrumpet
    Post.news update... more people arriving, especially Twitter names hedging their bets, but still a minuscule community compared with Twitter. They are deliberately keeping it small while they develop the platform so that they can iron out bugs and develop features (such as options for formatting posts and the ability to edit posts) before too many people swamp it.

I don't yet see it replacing Twitter, but I think it's emerging as the most likely alternative should Musk kill Twitter by letting it get swamped with hatred.
  • As long as he still allows the "latest tweets" view, I can't see my carefully curated list being swamped with hatred.

As I block any advertisers, it's also virtually ad free.
  • briantrumpet

As long as he still allows the "latest tweets" view, I can't see my carefully curated list being swamped with hatred.

And as the advertisers leave, because people block ads, and they don't want to appear alongside Nazi sympathisers, the revenue drops even more. I think at last count it was down 80%.
  • This is what twitter is that won't be replicated elsewhere.

"It happened to me too" replies from (among others) Stephen King, Margaret Atwood, Jodi Picoult, Neil Gaiman, Joanne Harris.
    I agree this is exacty what Twitter is about - me having no idea what is going on and regretting once again clicking a Twitter link.

Not looking for an argument but as an alternative perspective if it was not for you guys on here then Twitter and I would have no interaction
  • As long as he still allows the "latest tweets" view, I can't see my carefully curated list being swamped with hatred.

And as the advertisers leave, because people block ads, and they don't want to appear alongside Nazi sympathisers, the revenue drops even more. I think at last count it was down 80%.
    One day people will undertsand that there is a necessary value exchange.

I continue to be amazed at what Google gives me for "free" and suspect that if it was not an ad model they would be charging circa $10 a month.

What monthly subscription would you Adblockers pay for an ad free version of something like Twitter?