Dog owners (rant)

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,194
    'Phydeaux'. Like.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987
    Grrr, people not only walking dogs not on a lead but doing it in the dark on a signed cycle route along a road where there aren't street lights.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    Something I noticed yesterday riding to work in pouring rain. The gates to Bushy Park are of the type that only one person can get through from either direction as the gate opens in a kind of cage, designed so livestock can't get through, you enter the cage, open the gate and that clears your exit route. I understand people using the enclosed area of the gate to put their mutt on the lead as they leave the park. The dog is in a small enclosed space making it easier, although it may delay others trying to get through the gate.
    But whythefuck do people have to stop in the gate to let their beloved pooch off the lead? The pesky thing is already on the lead so it's quite simple to pass through the gate, get out the way then release the hounds. As I was trying to get into the park I had a woman trying to talk to someone on her mobile, hold an umbrella and undo the lead, all whilst blocking the gate to all others. Got to the other end and a silly cow entered the gate area, fumbled to close her umbrella, let the mutt off the lead then opened her umbrella again before leaving the gate. There is no roof, it rains in the gates.
    These are definitely trivial annoyances, but why not get out the way first? Clearly this shows that dogs are not the problem, idiots are.
  • Place I sometimes ride through has a bit of farmland, there is a gated driveway to a field that is always cordoned off with cones and wheelie bins. Always assumed it was to stop people parking/turning in the drive.

Stopped just outside and posh lady with 6 massive and boisterous dogs appears, all off lead. Proceeds to glare at me and says cones are there because of the dogs (I assume as they can't be trusted judging by the behaviour of them) . If that's the case why the feck are you walking 6 of them off lead next to busy B road!!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    2 this morning while on a walk where they ran in front of me and I had the option to either trip over them (e.g. give them a decent kick if I'd kept up my stride) or stop dead and try to pivot/step over.

Neither owner made any effort to control them as they ran up to a stranger. 1 half heartedly apologised afterwards. 1 just completely ignored it happening.

For the avoidance of doubt before anyone starts pearl clutching about people hating dogs... it is owners who can't be arsed to train their dogs I have an issue with.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • it is owners who can't be arsed to train their dogs I have an issue with.

Same here. I don't blame dogs for their behaviour, it's dozy arse owners that are the problem.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,156
    8 pages of rants about dogs and the general consensus is that the dogs are not at fault. The title should be changed to "Dog Owners (Rant)".
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    Maybe we should start a 'people are cnuts' thread, we could put some dog owners, some drivers, some cyclists, some pedestrians, all Tories, some kids, some old people, some middle aged people, etc in it.
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2022

Maybe we should start a 'people are cnuts' thread, we could put most people in it.

FTFY. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    I am a dog owner so maybe biased but also a pedestrian, cyclist, parent - maybe I've just been lucky but dogs are not high on the list of things that I'd want to rant about - in fact I'm not sure I've ever really had one cause me any concern or upset in my 54 years.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I’d appreciate more consideration from owners when their dogs are near young children.
  • pblakeney
    Just noticed the title change. 👏👏👏
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

I’d appreciate more consideration from owners when their dogs are near young children.

I don't know what you do differently. Never really a problem for me. Dogs and picnics are annoying though
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060

I agree there - always put mine on around kids even though they pay no attention to people they don't know the kids and their parents aren't to know that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

I don't know what you do differently. Never really a problem for me. Dogs and picnics are annoying though
    It’s more they’re barking literally in their faces and knock ‘em down.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,044

Maybe we should start a 'people are cnuts' thread, we could put some dog owners, some drivers, some cyclists, some pedestrians, all Tories, some kids, some old people, some middle aged people, etc in it.

Given who's posting posting in this thread, some might argue its already been started ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,978
    edited December 2022
    This is what can happen.......
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=VSFNVdt-hrM&t=2s
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    edited December 2022
    Blimey.

2 dead dogs coming up... 😥

(was it you dab?)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dabber
    ddraver said:

Blimey.

2 dead dogs coming up... 😥

(was it you dab?)

No, it wasn't me... thankfully, I've been attacked but not like that. I just hope there is a prosecution and appropriate action taken. And just to make it worse there is hardly any attempt at apologising or checking if the guy is OK.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • pblakeney
    Going purely from what is in the video the dog walkers simply walk off so I doubt there will be any repercussions for this incident. Maybe the next one? 🤬
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,385
    They refer to the two that attack the cyclist as pups. That's my big issue, they are just left to run free with no kind of recall training apparent and yet if it does get prosecuted the animals will be put down due to their irresponsible owners. Also, who needs 3 dogs of that size? I was in the woods the other day running with mine (on his lead) and a woman saw us coming towards her. I slowed down and she picked her small dog up but then informed me she had another running around somewhere but wasn't sure where, she 'thought' it was in the other direction. That's great but if it runs up to us and gets bitten for its trouble don't whinge to me about it.
  • dabber
    pblakeney said:

Going purely from what is in the video the dog walkers simply walk off so I doubt there will be any repercussions for this incident. Maybe the next one? 🤬

One of the slimeballs has his martial arts club details on the back of his jacket and I gather the email account for the club is currently closed. The police should have no problem tracking them down.... hopefully.

• Strange decision to follow their instruction to stop, my instinct is always to go faster
  • pangolin

Strange decision to follow their instruction to stop, my instinct is always to go faster

Wasn't sure if she was shouting at him or the dogs.

He was remarkably calm.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,957
    edited December 2022
    pangolin said:

Strange decision to follow their instruction to stop, my instinct is always to go faster

Wasn't sure if she was shouting at him or the dogs.

He was remarkably calm.
    They were shouting at the dogs, but since they weren't trained, all this did is get the dogs more excited.

Stopping was the best option. The dogs would be able to run faster than he could ride and he could have ended up on the floor with them. Or hurt the dogs (and remember they didn't chose to have lower primates as owners).

What an utter shitshow though. What those owners don't realise is that they are actually at some risk themselves, because whoever is pack leader, its not one of them.
  • pangolin
    Few people in the comments (and on here previously talking about other instances) saying he should fight back - but he runs the risk of then getting the larger dog and the bloke involved too.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,957
    pangolin said:

Few people in the comments (and on here previously talking about other instances) saying he should fight back - but he runs the risk of then getting the larger dog and the bloke involved too.

Yup, the online warriors have probably been watching too many Auzzie YouTube videos of people wrestling crocodiles. There's a reason police use dogs to subdue people.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    We had 2 GSDs when I was young and then a retriever and as an adult myself have had boxers and labs - so I like dogs.
    The pups might back off a bit if given a sharp enough kick to the muzzle/nose, but the big one almost certainly wouldn't - and anyway it's not the pups fault so I'd prefer not to hurt them.
    If it was me and it got any more serious than what we saw - I'd be looking for a tree to climb.
  • dabber
    singleton said:

If it was me and it got any more serious than what we saw - I'd be looking for a tree to climb.

But realistically what would you do?

• dabber said:

singleton said:

But realistically what would you do?

I would use the power of fear to try and drop them