Dog owners (rant)

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,388
edited November 2022 in The cake stop
Three walks/runs this week and three times I've been snapped at by dogs. What the swear filter is going on? Why have people just stopped training dogs!!!

I have a dog. If it walked within 10 feet of another person that wasn't actively welcoming it I would be mortified.

I can't work out if I'm angrier at the people who just lack any control or the posh twunts who just give it the old "he'll just lick you". First, I don't want to be licked by something that's just eaten a load of sheepshit thanks, and Second, At what point do I assume that it won't "just be a lick" and hit it back?

One today ran up to me barking for 15 odd seconds before the owner thought to do anything. Then laughed about it. Flip me she nearly got a mouthful of her own sheepshit!

😡😡😡😡😡

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    Probably best not to get me started. Seems that dogs-not-on-leads (in Topsham) is the norm now. They let them pïss on door frames, shit in the street (because they are 'not looking'), cross road junctions, zigzag across the road... and if they are on a lead, it's probably the trip-wire variety right across the road.

Damn, I got started.

And yes, I was a dog owner. With trained dogs.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    I've had someone swear at me for not gushing affection at their dog that was jumping up on my clearly distressed 4 year old.

And another guy try to fight me because his dog jumped onto the middle of our picnic and I gently but firmly pushed it back into the grass. Literally stood in a family park shouting and swearing at me and telling me he'd knock out my b!tch (gesturing at my wife) too.

That was tough to let go tbh but nobody wins getting in a fight in a playground.

Regular dog poo on the school run. Pricks.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • They do get remarkably upset if you push it away with your foot, though the ensuing debate about what constitutes kicking a dog can be amusing.

I find people picking up dog poo as disgusting as not doing so.

I think in the future people will look back with bemusement that people used to keep dogs in urban areas in the same way it is hard to believe you could smoke on tube trains
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited October 2022
    WHAT ABOUT THE DOG SH1T ON MY SHOES!?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    zero tolerance for dogs not controlled by their owners

years ago out in the asian sticks, there were packs of strays, at night you had to be ready to club them if they got close, a long maglite was ideal

perfectly happy to do the same to mutts that try slobbering on me in the street, kicked one away a few weeks ago, owner got snotty, i responded he was lucky i didn't kill it for being out of control
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • focuszing723
    When there isn't anybody about the feckless owners let them sh1t everywhere.
  • focuszing723
    Also, even if they attempt to pick it up, they can't clear it all up.
  • focuszing723
    edited October 2022
    I $h1t you not.
  • focuszing723
    Censored = $h1t, by the way.
  • Picking up dog sh1t is disgusting
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Picking up dog censored is disgusting

Do you have problems wiping your bottom. I would advise you never get a job in a care home.
  • ddraver
    webboo said:

Do you have problems wiping your bottom. I would advise you never get a job in a care home.
    *Shudders at the pre H&S work experience memories*
    - @ddraver
  • katani
    katani Posts: 133
    webboo said:

Maybe he doesn't.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    If we’re talking shit I’d add cats and foxes to the list. It’s not dogs pooping in my garden or or my doorstep.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    I'm amazed by how many dog owners believe their dogs understand English. Feckers.

Punch it in the head before it gets too near.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    I think I posted this before but...

Many, many moons back before my knees got F-ed by running, on a work stay away, out running, dog came running fast at me barking away, I didn't break stride but swung foot wide, kicked it in the head, said dog streaked back the way it came yelping. Maybe it learned?
  • webboo
    We are currently babysitting my daughters dogs for 2 years while she and her family live it up in Brunei. Cleaning up their sh*t is low on the scale of dealing with them. Stopping them eating cat sh*t is rather higher up.
    But I suppose I’m rather desensitised on the faeces scale. First day on the wards as a student nurse spent mopping up diarrhoea after a drug trial went wrong. I have cleaned after humans from new borns to 80 year olds. Then there is the cats, need I say any more.
    The one thing that made me feel like vomiting 🤮 was watching patients on dementia ward put their hands in their dinner then put their hands in their hair.
    Sh*t it’s just a fact of life.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    My German Shepherd Dog is quite reactive with other dogs (loves people), I’ve taken him to general training, had specific one to one training sessions with an ex-police dog handler and sent him for 3 weeks of very expensive residential training but he’s still far from perfect and it’s a work in progress. Part of his training is getting him used to being around other dogs in a controlled environment so I take him for daily walks in local parks. I always keep him on the lead because I know he has an issue with other dogs even though his recall is probably better than most of the other dogs I see.

I regularly end up with dogs running up to him with the owners either being nowhere in sight or ineffectually trying to call their dogs back from 50m away. Earlier this week I had two women watching their two dogs frolicking whilst the third came up trying to play. When they notice they ignored it as my dog was getting more and more stressed and if I hadn’t have been holding him off the ground their dog would probably have got bitten. The owners tend to get arsey when he does have enough and make a lunge but ultimately it is their fault and I don’t see why I should have to muzzle him when we make every effort to avoid contact with other dogs.

I’m not sure when it became a ‘right’ for dog owners to let their dogs run loose everywhere. I’m sure most used to be kept on leads. I’ve also been tripped up when running because a dog owner was at a kebab van and I hadn’t seen the telescopic lead extending across the path to his dog who was 5m away.
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277
    Pross said:

My German Shepherd Dog is quite reactive with other dogs (loves people), I’ve taken him to general training, had specific one to one training sessions with an ex-police dog handler and sent him for 3 weeks of very expensive residential training but he’s still far from perfect and it’s a work in progress. Part of his training is getting him used to being around other dogs in a controlled environment so I take him for daily walks in local parks. I always keep him on the lead because I know he has an issue with other dogs even though his recall is probably better than most of the other dogs I see.

I regularly end up with dogs running up to him with the owners either being nowhere in sight or ineffectually trying to call their dogs back from 50m away. Earlier this week I had two women watching their two dogs frolicking whilst the third came up trying to play. When they notice they ignored it as my dog was getting more and more stressed and if I hadn’t have been holding him off the ground their dog would probably have got bitten. The owners tend to get arsey when he does have enough and make a lunge but ultimately it is their fault and I don’t see why I should have to muzzle him when we make every effort to avoid contact with other dogs.

I’m not sure when it became a ‘right’ for dog owners to let their dogs run loose everywhere. I’m sure most used to be kept on leads. I’ve also been tripped up when running because a dog owner was at a kebab van and I hadn’t seen the telescopic lead extending across the path to his dog who was 5m away.

Whoever invented those fecking extendable leads needs one wrapping round his neck and hang the twunt from a (very tall) tree!
  • Pross
    Yeah, they’re just for lazy bar stewards who want to stand still while their dogs exercise themselves
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    ddraver said:

Three walks/runs this week and three times I've been snapped at by dogs. What the swear filter is going on? Why have people just stopped training dogs!!!

I have a dog. If it walked within 10 feet of another person that wasn't actively welcoming it I would be mortified.

I can't work out if I'm angrier at the people who just lack any control or the posh twunts who just give it the old "he'll just lick you". First, I don't want to be licked by something that's just eaten a load of sheepshit thanks, and Second, At what point do I assume that it won't "just be a lick" and hit it back?

One today ran up to me barking for 15 odd seconds before the owner thought to do anything. Then laughed about it. Flip me she nearly got a mouthful of her own sheepshit!

😡😡😡😡😡

Have to say I don't get these problems myself and this is coming from someone who takes his dogs to places where dogs can be let off the lead so we come across a lot of other dogs off the lead. Our dogs my occasionally approach people out of curiosity or if they see them with treats but are never aggressive and will take the hint if they aren't welcome.

Some people don't like dogs - each to their own. Best if they stay away from places where dogs are allowed off the lead if being approached by one causes them that much distress or offence.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

😡😡😡😡😡

Have to say I don't get these problems myself and this is coming from someone who takes his dogs to places where dogs can be let off the lead so we come across a lot of other dogs off the lead. Our dogs my occasionally approach people out of curiosity or if they see them with treats but are never aggressive and will take the hint if they aren't welcome.

Some people don't like dogs - each to their own. Best if they stay away from places where dogs are allowed off the lead if being approached by one causes them that much distress or offence.
    Not being a dog owner I don’t look for signs about leads so could you indicate where these places are likely to be?
  • webboo said:

Not sure why a job in a care home would involve picking up dog sh1t but happy to take your advice on board
  • webboo
    edited October 2022

webboo said:

Not sure why a job in a care home would involve picking up dog censored but happy to take your advice on board
    Usually it’s just the human variety you have to clean or pick up. Unless the home has a dog the you get the joy of both.
    Really sh* t is sh*t it doesn’t matter who has dropped it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Boils down to those people with a sense of entitlement.
    "I'm entitled to take my dog where I wish. The dog is entitled to do as it please.
    You are not entitled to do anything about it."
    Knobends.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    World would be a better place if dog owners didn’t take people disliking dogs so personally.
  • ddraver
    edited October 2022
    Don't get me started on the daft bint who had bought her wildly out of control dog a "friendly" lead. If you feel the need to buy a friendly lead, your dog quite clearly isn't friendly!

If ever there was an oxymoron...

We have a long line for our dog which has been invaluable. 10m long and most of the time it just drags on the ground if there are temptations around. A training tool I reccomend!
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

😡😡😡😡😡

It’s not just people who don’t like dogs who find it annoying. My daughter lives next to a lovely park, one of the reasons she moved where she did was to walk her very nervous, epileptic rescue Staffie there but she now only goes there very early in the morning (before 6) as otherwise he gets terrorised by other people’s uncontrolled dogs ‘being friendly’. If people can’t get an instant recall from their dog then they should be on a lead.

The temptation is not to hold my dog back when they run up to him but it’s not the dogs’ fault.
  • webboo
    I always that that the creatures with most of sense of entitlement were cats. However Smarty cat aged 14 has coped reasonably well with 2 dogs invading his home. He struts about, stares them out and they get a whack with the claw every now and them.
    They retaliate by barking at him if he’s outside while they are inside.