Dog owners (rant)

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,962

Blimey, this thread makes The Helmet Wars look civil.

Cake Stop thread, innit. All it took was one or two of the usual suspects to come out from under their bridge and off we go...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,549
    Stevo_666 said:

Cake Stop thread, innit. All it took was one or two of the usual suspects to come out from under their bridge and off we go...
    Don't be so hard on yourself.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

😂
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

I guess your ears were burning ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277

I've never been bitten by a cat, or had a puncture wound from a cat claw. Plenty of swipes, but those don't cause puncture wounds.

So I ask again, how are you managing to scare a cat so badly and for long enough to receive these injuries?

And I use the word "scare" deliberately, because that is the only scenario I can think of.

I agree, ime with cats they really need to be agitated to seriously lash out, and when they do I can safely say I'd rather be turned on by a mad dog than a mad cat! Cats are vicious, but to get them to that stage of agitation takes some doing. I feel sorry for poor vets because I don't think cats particularly have to even be agitated to lash out at them, lol.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,610

How often are you lot bitten by cats, and what on earth are you doing to induce this?

My cat has certainly delivered more than a few swipes. Less so now she's getting on.

My worst though was putting something through a letter box where a cat, who clearly waited for people to do this, grabbed my finger with both claws and teeth. It fair shredded it in a microsecond!

I feel very sorry for mouses. It looks like a horrible way to go.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bonk_king
    ddraver said:

How often are you lot bitten by cats, and what on earth are you doing to induce this?

My cat has certainly delivered more than a few swipes. Less so now she's getting on.

My worst though was putting something through a letter box where a cat, who clearly waited for people to do this, grabbed my finger with both claws and teeth. It fair shredded it in a microsecond!

Do you remember this guy? He had a similar problem to the one you painfully described, lol.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    When I was younger and living at my parents we had a cat that spent its time in the house living in my room away from the dogs. I can't recall having any issues with it (he did lash out and badly damage one of the dogs noses) other than one night I get up to go to the toilet and for some reason fainted, fell back and hit my head on the radiator. When I came around I found the cat on top of me and attacking me, some thanks considering I'd rescued him years before and let him share my room!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,575

bonk_king said:

pinno said:

Why can't dogs have the same "rights" as cats?

So cats have the legal right to do what ever they like and dogs need to be kept on a short leash.
    This is what I don't get! (and I had a JR just like that!)
    I guess we don't hear too many stories of cats killing people! Although rare, and as "nice" as most dogs are, the odd one that turns rogue once in a while just throws a blanket over the rest.

It would be interesting to see what happened if somebody got mauled to death by a cat! Our cat, a savannah, fetched home a squealing young fox in its jaws last year. It let it go at the back door and the fox legged it.

Some of the more exotic cats you can get nowadays have the potential to do damage to the very young/old, but I don't really see a cat doing that. But dogs, as shown many times, do.
    Two of my neighbours were hospitalised by one cat: when they sink they teeth into joints, infections get in deep. One was in for five days, including i/v drugs.
    Yeah, don't get bitten by a cat. All manner of nasties in their saliva.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

I've never been bitten by a cat, or had a puncture wound from a cat claw. Plenty of swipes, but those don't cause puncture wounds.

So I ask again, how are you managing to scare a cat so badly and for long enough to receive these injuries?

And I use the word "scare" deliberately, because that is the only scenario I can think of.

In my opening comment, I mentioned vets. It doesn't take too much imagination to see how vets might get bitten.
    I can confirm that your imagination is accurate. Hamsters and gerbils are the worst, though. Vicious little things.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

In my opening comment, I mentioned vets. It doesn't take too much imagination to see how vets might get bitten.
    I can confirm that your imagination is accurate. Hamsters and gerbils are the worst, though. Vicious little things.
    Too right, I had my kids one attached to my finger when I was a bit careless. They have a rep...
  • rjsterry
    ddraver said:

I dunno, it's fairly quick. They're not going to die peacefully at home surrounded by their family.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,856

This ^.

Having had countless cats, they only bite and scratch if their environment and/or handling is bad. I have been bitten by rescue cats but that's the initial lack of trust and the learning curve for us both! Once settled (and they all did eventually), they are benign. Most cats we ever had were strays and rescue cats.
    My Spaniel was a trained gundog. 99% of the time as good as gold and totally loyal. I could walk through the streets with him at my heel with no lead. (Though I couldn't and wouldn't leave him outside a shop not tethered - he would whine and then try and find me). He bit me twice.

I trust cats far more than dogs having been bitten quite a number of times by dogs who I have been told "...don't worry, he/she doesn't bite".
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

ddraver said:

I dunno, it's fairly quick. They're not going to die peacefully at home surrounded by their family.
    This is true.
    My cat brings a lot of them in live to play with.
    This causes much angst with my 10 year old daughter who rescues them but i'm sure many die of infection and injury.

One less mouse in one less Owl dinner. I like Owls.
  • ddraver
    Said Cat is named Psycho and it's a very apt name. She was rescued from a shelter having run up her previous owner's towel when she got out of the shower and bitten her hard on the breast.

Despite my sympathy for the mice (and rabbits) she was acquired for that exact task and she has been a superstar at it for 15 years.
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    ddraver said:

Said Cat is named Psycho and it's a very apt name. She was rescued from a shelter having run up her previous owner's towel when she got out of the shower and bitten her hard on the breast.

Despite my sympathy for the mice (and rabbits) she was acquired for that exact task and she has been a superstar at it for 15 years.

The way animals behave is entirely down to their owners and how they have been handled.
    When out in the bush in Kenya, miles from anywhere, we were never worried about wildlife.
    When in Africa, people were what concerned you, never wildlife.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    One thing I notice this morning, the first with proper rain since I’ve started regularly taking my dog to this particular park, is that there appears to be a correlation between dogs who are allowed to run around unsupervised and dogs that don’t need exercise when it is wet outside. I saw a few regulars, one with dog on lead and the others off the lead but well trained and under control but none of the ones who let their dogs run wild whilst they’re having a chat or just paying no interest.
  • bonk_king
    pinno said:

ddraver said:

The way animals behave is entirely down to their owners and how they have been handled.
    When out in the bush in Kenya, miles from anywhere, we were never worried about wildlife.
    When in Africa, people were what concerned you, never wildlife.

Domestic animals yes, I'd agree that their time spent with their owners, and how they are raised, plays a big part in their behaviour.

But wild animals, although they'd usually stay well clear of us, their behaviour can change dramatically if they are hungry and/or they have young, especially the big game type animals you'd get in Kenya.

• pinno
    bonk_king said:

But wild animals, although they'd usually stay well clear of us, their behaviour can change dramatically if they are hungry and/or they have young, especially the big game type animals you'd get in Kenya.

You don't go hugging leopards.
    Their behaviour, (even when it's aggressive, is usually for good reason - like the example you stated), is consistent.
    If I stepped on a snake and it bit me, well, I shouldn't have stepped on the snake.
    If I get in waters with Tiger sharks (notoriously aggressive) then I run the risk of being harmed.
    If I wander near a female elephant with calf, then I would expect that she will take exception to my presence.
    Humans are inconsistent (and perennially inconsistent with their behaviour towards animals).

• bikes_and_dogs
    bikes_and_dogs Posts: 130
    edited October 2022
    I suppose I'm almost obliged to comment on this thread given my username.
    I reckon public spaces are for everyone. Whilst walking my dogs I am constantly impressed by bike riders that slow down when they spot my busy spaniels.
    When riding my bike I take care around dog walkers.
    What's so complicated?
    Extreme anecdotes do not usually include a reference to the statistical reality.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,440
    ddraver said:
    This is why we need Larry as PM. He won't take any shit :smiley:
  • Tashman said:

ddraver said:
    This is why we need Larry as PM. He won't take any censored :smiley:
    Even Larry would be wary of the bond markets
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,941
    Had a dog come out of nowhere and try to attack my leg and ankle on this morning's ride. A kick in the head stopped it and started it yelping. No sign of the owner just a disembodied, ineffectual voice calling it from somewhere in the forest.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • bikes_and_dogs
    bikes_and_dogs Posts: 130
    edited October 2022
    dabber said:

Had a dog come out of nowhere and try to attack my leg and ankle on this morning's ride. A kick in the head stopped it and started it yelping. No sign of the owner just a disembodied, ineffectual voice calling it from somewhere in the forest.

You sound quite proud of yourself for kicking a dog in the head and causing it to yelp. Just for the record - How much harm did you suffer from the attempted attack?

P.S. I was wiped out on my bike by a driver that said "You came out of nowhere". I replied " I was always there"
  • ddraver
    Out of interest, how much does he have to suffer before he's allowed to retaliate?

- @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,808
    What’s he supposed to do? Ask nicely to sort biting his leg?

Dogs that bite people should be put down, simple.

Won’t be doing it again then will they?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,941
    edited October 2022

dabber said:

You sound quite proud of yourself for kicking a dog in the head and causing it to yelp. Just for the record - How much harm did you suffer from the attempted attack?
    If you think I'm going to wait until the dog has actually managed to sink its teeth into me before I act you're crazy. I've been attacked in a similar way before and acted just the same. I don't dislike dogs but I put my safety and wellbeing way above any dog.

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Stevo_666

dabber said:

P.S. I was wiped out on my bike by a driver that said "You came out of nowhere". I replied " I was always there"
    Too right, absolutely nothing to be proud of.
  • Stevo_666

What’s he supposed to do? Ask nicely to sort biting his leg?

Dogs that bite people should be put down, simple.

Won’t be doing it again then will they?

What a shitty thing to say.