CX Season 2022/23.......

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    pinno said:

Iserbyt: Sour grapes or genuine concern?

What did he say?

Poxy advert timing yesterday, missed his attack and crash.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

What did he say?

He said that the course wasn't up to world cup standard and that he wouldn't be riding it again if it was on the calendar next year.
    [Or words to that effect].
    There were a few loose stones being kicked up. iserbyt blamed the 'rock' he hit.

ES has coverage with no ads - well, you can choose that or E1 coverage which has ad breaks.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Is CX an off-road sport? If so, then I don't get the issue. If it was rock gardens, and massive roots as seen in Nove Mesto I could understand.

However, it wasn't, just put the right pressure in your tyres.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

What did he say?

He said that the course wasn't up to world cup standard and that he wouldn't be riding it again if it was on the calendar next year.
    [Or words to that effect].
    There were a few loose stones being kicked up. iserbyt blamed the 'rock' he hit.

ES has coverage with no ads - well, you can choose that or E1 coverage which has ad breaks.
    His team mate who won the womens race didn’t seem to be complaining.
  • pinno
    I think Worst had a bad day at the office - punctures were mentioned in the commentary.
    Dunno if that was connected.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    When are the big 3 expected to return?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • webboo
    Tom P might not due to knee injury.
  • andyrac
    I think it's becoming obvious that CX is definitely the least priority for him, behind the Road & MTB.

Koppenbergcross tomorrow, and the return of PFP.....First CX race for a few seasons.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Having caught up with the weekends CS I find myself in the position of showing ignorance.
    Again.
    Is there any actual reason for only being able to get a fresh bottle by doing a bike change? Or is it just "It's Cross" and/or "because"?
  • webboo
    I would presume it’s to stop bottles being thrown off anywhere and likewise handed up anywhere. Also because everything has to be done in the pits. There something similar in the gravel rules that you can’t retrace to pits/service area once you’ve left it.
  • JimD666
    I get having it in a specific place. I just don't understand why you have to change the whole bike. 🤷‍♀️
  • webboo
    Maybe there is rule if you go in to pits you have to change your bike.
  • webboo
    Having looked at the rules, it would seem the only reason you can go in to pits for is to change your bike. So hence to change your bottle you need to change your bike, need to change a broken shoe, you need to change your bike as well.
  • JimD666
    Cheers webbo.
  • The bike change rule is to stop people just treating the pits area as part of the course, should it be less churned up.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    When you're as slick at it as they are it's probably easier than trying to grab a hand up, one handed on a mud slick too.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • webboo
    ddraver said:

When you're as slick at it as they are it's probably easier than trying to grab a hand up, one handed on a mud slick too.

L.S. bike change when he punctured on the last lap of Sundays World Cup was something special.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    PFF had a bit of a mare with mechanicals there. Looked like she needed to run most of the course
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyrac
    First time on Shimano 2x for a very long time after years on Sram 1x.....

But she seemed to be making rapid progress through the field. The form still appears to be there.
  • webboo

When are the big 3 expected to return?

TP is apparently returning on November 19th at the Merkplas?
  • webboo
    Yesterdays mens Koppenberg cross was a good watch. Lots of team tactics from the Bingo sauces team including dodgy ones, such swerves and elbows to try and stop being passed. Waste of time though as they got stuffed in the end.
  • pinno
    edited November 2022
    ***Spoiler alert***
    webboo said:

Yesterdays mens Koppenberg cross was a good watch. Lots of team tactics from the Bingo sauces team including dodgy ones, such swerves and elbows to try and stop being passed. Waste of time though as they got stuffed in the end.

Fantastic comeback from van der Haar. I couldn't believe the gap he closed after coming off.

FvE is just head and shoulders above the rest.
  • andyrac
    FvE is reminding me of Lecomte's early 2021 XC season dominance; however, it didn't last. It will be interesting to see what happens when the rain & mud arrives; and how long can she keep this form?

Anyway, this weekend sees the Euros at the Citadel of Namur; there should be some great racing on this classic course, with the climb, descents and more technical nature.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Fem van Empel is something else.
  • andyrac
    She certainly is. She's made a massive jump from last season - and again, similar to Lecomte's from a top U23 in 2019 to top of the Elites in 2020/21.

She had a decent MTB season last summer, with a few Top 10 results, but Burquier & Pieterse were well in front of her; however, she cut her summer short, and obviously prioritised the early season CX races. It has certainly paid off.

Alvarado looked the best technically, and Blanka Vas rode yet another good race in the Elites. PFP has had a long season on the MTB, and is missing her CX explosivity, but still finished ahead of Vos.
  • andyrac
    Men's Juniors with an interesting mix of nationalities in the Top 3/10......
  • JimD666
    Currently watching the Men's Elite European race. I have two words for them.

MOUNTAIN BIKE!

• andyrac
    Well yes, Namur is the closest CX gets to a MTB course; and the U23 women's race had the same two U23 XCO Worlds riders, but with positions swapped.
  • pinno
    Men's elite: great race, great entertainment.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Enjoyed the races and the course.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי