Mourning stupidity

Comments

• Makes sense... so state funeral should be Monday 19th... so no biggie... if it was to be anticipated to the 18th, that would be a PITA, as I have a big race down in Porlock... one of the "monuments" of the Hill Climb scene
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602

thistle_ said:

Local parkruns here are now cancelled :|
    As is a training course I had booked for next week :|:|

Not surprised Parkrun are always the first to cancel and the last to resume... in the summer of 2020 when most amateur sport tried to come back after lockdown 1, they didn't budge...
    That was more to do with some of the venues not allowing them back and concerns that unless they could get the vast majority re-started the crowds at the rest would be too big.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,928
    Pross said:

I don't think we are unique as a country in postponing events for a few days when the country's head of state dies. I doubt the NFL would be going ahead this weekend (not sure if the season has started but you get my point) had Biden died yesterday and if Macron died in the middle of July I suspect the Tour would at least have a few stages cancelled.

I think the professional sports is understandable for the first weekend. The grassroots less so, for me at least.
  • One of my boys football clubs have also said that there should be no training as well as a mark of respect :D

Off to the park with the rest of his team for a 'kickabout' I reckon.
  • Pross
    Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

I don't think we are unique as a country in postponing events for a few days when the country's head of state dies. I doubt the NFL would be going ahead this weekend (not sure if the season has started but you get my point) had Biden died yesterday and if Macron died in the middle of July I suspect the Tour would at least have a few stages cancelled.

I think the professional sports is understandable for the first weekend. The grassroots less so, for me at least.
    The biggest problem area for me is the events that fall into neither category e.g. the Great North Run and Ironman Wales where it is mainly amateurs but they have already spent a fortune on entries and probably travel / accommodation. The organisers will have also spent large sums so if they then have to issue a refund it could break them. Add in the loss of revenue for a town like Tenby. The impact of the local kids football team having to postpone a fixture is relatively minor, they'll get to play it later in the season and there won't be much financial loss (they'll have several fixtures postponed through the season due to weather or lack of officials no doubt).
  • Pross said:

Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

The biggest problem area for me is the events that fall into neither category e.g. the Great North Run and Ironman Wales where it is mainly amateurs but they have already spent a fortune on entries and probably travel / accommodation. The organisers will have also spent large sums so if they then have to issue a refund it could break them. Add in the loss of revenue for a town like Tenby. The impact of the local kids football team having to postpone a fixture is relatively minor, they'll get to play it later in the season and there won't be much financial loss (they'll have several fixtures postponed through the season due to weather or lack of officials no doubt).
    Maybe no apparent financial loss, but the alternative might be videogames and McDonalds for some... others might be forced to splash money in other forms of entertainment... I am not saying they should, but many will...
    To nobody's benefit, really... it's not that Charles the Third gives a monkey about that

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,818
    edited September 2022

Pross said:

Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

Maybe no apparent financial loss, but the alternative might be videogames and McDonalds for some... others might be forced to splash money in other forms of entertainment... I am not saying they should, but many will...
    To nobody's benefit, really... it's not that Charles the Third gives a monkey about that

Ugo, I am sure that if they knew how incensed you are by the possibility of having your plans upset, they would have shoved her in a cardboard box and buried her at the bottom of the garden, next to the corgis. :p:D
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Posties cancelled their strike today, not that I've seen anyone on delivery here and it was called off late with no disciplinary for not going in (just losing pay that had already been deducted from this week's pay)...

But Royal Mail didn't cancel shifts for mourning today, just like they didn't give employees the Jubilee long weekend Saturday off.

Thankfully Zwift didn't go into mourning, it's the only constructive thing I've done all day so far!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross said:

Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

Ugo, I am sure that if they knew how incensed you are by the possibility of having your plans upset, they would have shoved her in a cardboard box and buried her at the bottom of the garden, next to the corgis. :p:D
    My dad passed in 2019... as I said, I was allowed 7 statutory days by my employer to fly to Italy for the funeral and spend a bit of time with my mum... we all got on with it and so should the Windsors... I don't know why we have to get involved in this compulsory mourning.
    And yes, if I have to change any plan, I'd be mighty pissed off...
  • Makes sense... so state funeral should be Monday 19th... so no biggie... if it was to be anticipated to the 18th, that would be a PITA, as I have a big race down in Porlock... one of the "monuments" of the Hill Climb scene
    Cracking Chinese in the village.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

So what? It's one weekend and the match will get played on a different weekend where they would have otherwise been playing video games and eating McDonalds so it will even out even in your cliched view of the lives of youngsters.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,573

The cancellation of the cycling, cricket, golf, horse racing and rugby was pretty much met with a deathly silence, but as soon as there's the possibility of a day without a game of footie to watch.........

Probably because it's more popular than those other sports. But anyway, all footy now cancelled.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806

Makes sense... so state funeral should be Monday 19th... so no biggie... if it was to be anticipated to the 18th, that would be a PITA, as I have a big race down in Porlock... one of the "monuments" of the Hill Climb scene
    Suits me as that will extend my holiday.
    In the meantime, just been for a very nice Michelin starred anniversary lunch. Life goes on.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
    Cracking Chinese in the village.
    Permanently closed apparently!
    We are staying in Minehead, probably going for curry there

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,818
    edited September 2022

Pross said:

Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

My dad passed in 2019... as I said, I was allowed 7 statutory days by my employer to fly to Italy for the funeral and spend a bit of time with my mum... we all got on with it and so should the Windsors... I don't know why we have to get involved in this compulsory mourning.
    That's not a lot of time, granted.

I'm far removed from being a royalist, but with your experience in mind, surely you can appreciate the logistical nightmare of gathering leaders, dignitaries and celebrities from all over the world in one place and providing them with the expected level of security?
    No doubt individuals will have their own demands and requirements.
    10 days doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    There is no statutory compasionate leave by the way, any time you are given is at your employers discretion / in accordance with your contract of employment and can be paid or unpaid. We are also not being given leave during the national mourning so I'm not sure why that comparison is being made.
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

So what? It's one weekend and the match will get played on a different weekend where they would have otherwise been playing video games and eating McDonalds so it will even out even in your cliched view of the lives of youngsters.
    It’s two weekends as games are off until after the funerals. Training as well. Just seems a bit of a futile gesture to me.
  • Pross said:

Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

I'm far removed from being a royalist, but with your experience in mind, surely you can appreciate the logistical nightmare of gathering leaders, dignitaries and celebrities from all over the world in one place and providing them with the expected level of security?
    As far as I am concerned, they could take 3 months to organise the funeral... I am not sure why the nation has to be in mourning...
    To quote a former prime minister "you mourn if you want to, I'm not one for mourning " personally, I had no dealings with the queen... she was a decent human being, giving her status, but I never met her... I have no feelings either way... just like many other people who are not Royal memorabilia collectors
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

It’s two weekends as games are off until after the funerals. Training as well. Just seems a bit of a futile gesture to me.
    But it is the leagues / governing bodies etc. that are making that choice. There's no obligation for anyone to cancel anything.
  • Pross said:

But it is the leagues / governing bodies etc. that are making that choice. There's no obligation for anyone to cancel anything.

Indeed... the stupidity is the FA's behaviour, as per original post.

• Pross

Pross said:

Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

As far as I am concerned, they could take 3 months to organise the funeral... I am not sure why the nation has to be in mourning...
    To quote a former prime minister "you mourn if you want to, I'm not one for mourning " personally, I had no dealings with the queen... she was a decent human being, giving her status, but I never met her... I have no feelings either way... just like many other people who are not Royal memorabilia collectors
    It's just a term, the Government information published earlier clearly states there is no obligation on anyone to do anything different or to stop doing things. Presumably all the organisers cancelling things are doing so as they feel it is the right thing to do or are worried about perception.
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

Oh I know that, I'm not Royal bashing. They need to do what they need to do and I think a big state funeral is more then deserved. I think it's a truly ridiculous decision by the authorities running grass roots football. It's them I'm blaming not the Govt/Royals etc.
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

It's just a term, the Government information published earlier clearly states there is no obligation on anyone to do anything different or to stop doing things. Presumably all the organisers cancelling things are doing so as they feel it is the right thing to do or are worried about perception.
    I see that, but it is a problem. The FA acted without asking the base, effectively they are only concerned about the reputation of the monkeys in the boardroom and clearly don't give a fxxk about the kids who can't play this weekend (and the following).
  • The trouble is it creates an atmosphere where organisations dare not step out of line with the herd, however ridiculous the virtue-signalling is. See poppies in November...
  • The trouble is it creates an atmosphere where organisations dare not step out of line with the herd, however ridiculous the virtue-signalling is. See poppies in November...

Exactly…

Exactly…

I've yet to see a brave journalist say "WTF?" about the mass mourning.
  • I totally agree with the Telegraph on this occasion:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/implore-bbc-reverse-decision-cancel-last-night-proms/

Like many other people in Britain, I am saddened by the BBC’s decision to cancel the Last Night of the Proms as a mark of respect for its patron, Queen Elizabeth II. And while it is clear that it could not have gone ahead in its usual, exuberant form, an alternative, more sober Last Night would have united the nation like no other occasion. Why? Because no art form speaks to our emotions in the same way as music.

Well, maybe not the "united the nation" bit, but if people want to get swept up in emotion, it would be a phenomenal way to do so.
  • If only there was a way of harnessing the sheer volume of twee, we'd solve the energy crisis overnight.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • This is all over social media

Either Paddington is dead, or he has some role as an 'Angel of Death'

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!