Anyone for the Commies?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    24 minutes time gap for the last placed rider in the women's race. There's a huge disparity in the levels of kit and she looked slow when getting passed but I didn't expect anyone to lose 24 minutes against a winning time of 40 minutes. Some huge time gaps all around.

The English team kit is very unfortunate, especially for the women. Do people not think about these things when coming up with a design?
  • Pross
    Zharnel Hughes looked hugely impressive in the 200m.
  • Pross said:

Swimming has never been my thing to be fair, I just don't like posturing in any sport (you can get away with it if you're Bolt or equivalent) but swimmers seem worse for it than anyone other than maybe boxers. The thing I liked most yesterday was Proud coming out without any of that nonsense for the 50m final and just smashing the rest of them.

I haven't noticed the coaches doing that, it's pretty funny - has a swimmer ever got lost and gone the wrong way in the pool?

I've spent more hours poolside than I care to remember in recent years as both my kids are competitive swimmers. I find the "posturing" from the lads rather funny tbh. The ritual "slap-off" before mounting the blocks and then the kicking of the launch pad at the back of the block prior to the taking of marks just adds to the occasion at a junior gala, where other than for relays, there is absolutely no atmosphere. (Middle class parents tend not to "lose it" when their kids win, as there is always a bigger fish just round the corner, or one about to have a growth spurt.) The lads from our club say they do it psyche themselves up in the absence of any atmosphere and sometimes to win a bet with clubmates as to who can generate the loudest slap...

All that kind of stuff is fairly superfluous at the CWG where there's a big crowd to generate the atmosphere. But old habits die hard I guess and if you've psyched yourself up to be fast enough to qualify for the CWGs etc by slapping yourself, you're unlikely to change your ritual at the CWGs themselves.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited August 2022
    Fred looking handy in the first wave of the mens TT, 46mins47, two minutes up on current second, Doull in third 2mins15 down.

Next wave starts at 1400, G last out at 1429.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    This wave system is really annoying. Why build big gaps into the schedule?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Pross said:

This wave system is really annoying. Why build big gaps into the schedule?

I thought that too. Can only imagine it has something to do with the number of available marshalls/cars?

That 1st corner is a real killer isn't it!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    Pross said:

Zharnel Hughes looked hugely impressive in the 200m.

He normally does before he gets disqualified.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • G down, almost saved it.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    Least surprising crash ever
  • Pross
    It's a crap course, not exactly highlighting what the area has to offer
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    Probably best avoiding that posh dragon suit now.
  • focuszing723
    Thomas going quick now, but is he going to be cooked towards the end?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    edited August 2022
    Is it just me, or is G's right brake lever wonky after his fall?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    Without the crash he'd be about the same time as Dennis. I don't see him pulling 30" back
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    next time check needs to have halved that gap
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022
    I still can't believe he crashed, I mean they can recce the course, it's not wet.
  • focuszing723
    Bike issues now.
  • Pross

I still can't believe he crashed, I mean they can recce the course, it's not wet.

He did recce the course it was on his Instagram yesterday. He just slightly overcooked the corner.

Not sure what the bike issue is, brake rubbing maybe as lever took a hit
  • gethinceri
    It's too much
  • Pross
    Yeah gone out by a second (probably due to sitting up flapping his arms around) would be really close but for the crash.
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022
    Pross said:

He did recce the course it was on his Instagram yesterday. He just slightly overcooked the corner.

Not sure what the bike issue is, brake rubbing maybe as lever took a hit
    Yeah could be, he seems alright now though times good. He might run out of juice though.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    Looks like he is a match for Dennis speed wise, so the only chance of gold is if Dennis suffers a mechanical, or similar.
    Can't see him misjudging the effort.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022
    daniel_b said:

Looks like he is a match for Dennis speed wise, so the only chance of gold is if Dennis suffers a mechanical, or similar.
    Can't see him misjudging the effort.

Yeah.

Chr1st, Bigham down now.
  • gethinceri
    wtf?
  • Pross
    Bigham down now, seemed to have blown up a bit as Archibald had repassed him
  • gethinceri
    Too much speed
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    edited August 2022
    Bigham wraps his bike around the railings.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • focuszing723
    I think TT bikes a bloody stupid. What's the point if no one had them then it's a level paying field, nuts. Stupid things.
  • focuszing723
    It's too try hard as well, all ponced up to ride a bloody bike.
  • gethinceri
    What are you on about?