Anyone for the Commies?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Watched it back and the camera cut away just as the Aussie hit the deck near the front then came back by which time the carnage was nearly over so really couldn't see what happened.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Slightly surprised how many riders aren't wearing mitts as well. Seems a pointless risk and I always though they were compulsory in track racing.

I don't think there is any compulsion at UCI/world level, or even at national level. There is enforcement at local level, but I think that's about as far as it goes.

Cheers, I knew it was compulsory when I did my training. Still can't understand why anyone would choose not to wear them.
  • Pross
    Session has been abandoned and velodrome cleared which doesn't sound good
  • Pross
    Men's sevens final was a decent watch. I'm not a huge 7s fan but that was entertaining. The crowd was a bit biased in favour of Fiji!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Slightly surprised how many riders aren't wearing mitts as well. Seems a pointless risk and I always though they were compulsory in track racing.

I don't think there is any compulsion at UCI/world level, or even at national level. There is enforcement at local level, but I think that's about as far as it goes.

Cheers, I knew it was compulsory when I did my training. Still can't understand why anyone would choose not to wear them.
    MvDP often doesn't. Boonen as well. Me too.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    edited July 2022
    Horrific crash.
    Brotherton suggested it was Matt Walls who went into the crowd?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,934
    Matt Walls has been stretchered out of the velodrome. Fingers crossed for him 🤞
  • JimD666
    Still catching up with yesterdays track stuff. Just had Joe Truman's crash. Ouch :(
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

MvDP often doesn't. Boonen as well. Me too.
    Yeah, I was talking velodrome though. Wouldn't want the splinters in my palms. It does surprise me on the road though too, it's a painful few days if you crash and skin your palms at the start of a stage race.
  • Pross
    Good move by England to not use a wetsuit on the final swim in the triathlon relay. Not sure why more didn't do the same
  • Pross
    Stanford needs to drop the Aussie and Kiwi wheelsuckers
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Pross said:

I’m not watching but I thought draughting was against the rules?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,070
    edited July 2022
    Pross said:

Good move by England to not use a wetsuit on the final swim in the triathlon relay. Not sure why more didn't do the same

Most triathletes lose more from loss of buoyancy than they gain from time savings if they ditch the wetsuit.

The better swimmers prefer a mandatory non-wetsuit race as the loss of the wetsuit really penalises weak swimmers.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Most triathletes lose more from loss of buoyancy than they gain from time savings if they ditch the wetsuit.

The better swimmers prefer a mandatory non-wetsuit race as the loss of the wetsuit really penalises weak swimmers.
    Yeah only 300m though and she gained time
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I’m not watching but I thought draughting was against the rules?
    Only in longer distances. I thought tri bars had been banned in shorter races recently but apparently not.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    The telly friendly ITU "olympic" and triathlons like those raced ny Brownlees until recently allow draughting with truncated tri bars.

In those races you are racing as part of a national team, typically of 3. There was much controversy about GB selecting a strong swim.biker with crap run as 3rd wheel for Brownlees at a couple of Olympics. Theory was that they could pace set andbgibe a wheel.or bike if there was a mechanical.

Your local triathlon and Ironman style events are non draughting.
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

Yeah only 300m though and she gained time
    I think it’s a tight call on the shorter distances. But GTB was on fire today, putting time into a group of chasers swimming and biking.

And different athletes respond differently to colder water. Water was 19c today which is warm for a wet suit but decidedly chilly for most in just a swimming cozzie etc.

There’s also the risk of being the odd one out and the choice then going wrong, as you can then look a little foolish. (A bit like tyre strategies in F1.)

• JimD666
    Matt Walls has been released from hospital. Stiches in his forehead and a few scrapes and bruises apparently.
  • Just read Adam Peaty lost his first 100m breaststroke race since 2014, coming 4th in the final. :o
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935

Just read Adam Peaty lost his first 100m breaststroke race since 2014, coming 4th in the final. :o

Was leading until 15 m to go and then got overtaken by 3 others.
    Peaty did break his foot 10 weeks ago.
  • JimD666
    Wonder if any swimming forums have a "Should Peaty swallow his pride and retire" threads. He's obviously past it. 😉

• Pross

Just read Adam Peaty lost his first 100m breaststroke race since 2014, coming 4th in the final. :o

I'm surprised he took part to be honest, a CG medal is probably fairly meaningless amongst everything he has won.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Pross said:

I'm surprised he took part to be honest, a CG medal is probably fairly meaningless amongst everything he has won.
    He said he would have raced with a broken foot, so he clearly really wanted it... he is from the region (Stoke, I think), so understandably the CG in Brum mean more to him than to some others. Obviously he was coming back from injury and to be fair he has done fuxxall since last year, with Strictly, this and that. It was to be expected, didn't look good in the qualifying round, despite the fastest time... 3 seconds slower than your best is really a lot. It might even be a sign of things to come, nobody lasts very long in swimming, aside from Phelps. Look at Rebecca Adlington, she is 33 FFS, she was history at 24!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross
    The umpire in the badminton was full of her own self-importance. Even started annoying the audience in the end
  • It might even be a sign of things to come, nobody lasts very long in swimming, aside from Phelps. Look at Rebecca Adlington, she is 33 FFS, she was history at 24!

I think Becky Adlington woke up one day in the winter of 2012/13 and simply decided that she didn't want to get hammered by Katie Ledecky for the next decade.

There is something odd about distance swimming for the ladies though. (*) I don't think anyone out of their teens has ever broken the 800 free world record. And the story is similar re the 400 free world record, though Ariane Titmus broke it recently in her early 20s.

(*) There is supposedly a sweet-spot in terms of aerobic power to weight for the ladies where the full benefits of strength post-puberty have kicked in, but before the ageing process requires more recovery between hard efforts. The training that the top late teen girls do for distance freestyle would be illegal if forced on the unwilling. It is truly insane. They just don't seem to need any recovery time beyond eating tea post-training and a night's sleep.
  • Pross
    Something that Adlington said the other day that surprised me was that she used to end her warm up swim an hour prior to the race start. That seems a really long time but I assume she filled most of that with other warm up routines
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272

It might even be a sign of things to come, nobody lasts very long in swimming, aside from Phelps. Look at Rebecca Adlington, she is 33 FFS, she was history at 24!

I think Becky Adlington woke up one day in the winter of 2012/13 and simply decided that she didn't want to get hammered by Katie Ledecky for the next decade.

There is something odd about distance swimming for the ladies though. (*) I don't think anyone out of their teens has ever broken the 800 free world record. And the story is similar re the 400 free world record, though Ariane Titmus broke it recently in her early 20s.

(*) There is supposedly a sweet-spot in terms of aerobic power to weight for the ladies where the full benefits of strength post-puberty have kicked in, but before the ageing process requires more recovery between hard efforts. The training that the top late teen girls do for distance freestyle would be illegal if forced on the unwilling. It is truly insane. They just don't seem to need any recovery time beyond eating tea post-training and a night's sleep.
    And yet, Federica Pellegrini only just retired...
    left the forum March 2023
  • It might even be a sign of things to come, nobody lasts very long in swimming, aside from Phelps. Look at Rebecca Adlington, she is 33 FFS, she was history at 24!

And yet, Federica Pellegrini only just retired...
    And for such longevity, I am highly grateful!

Though Federica did ditch the 400m relatively early on in her career. I don't think she raced it internationally after 2012. She took a "gap year" from distance in 2013 and doubtless saw Katie Ledecky and decided to stick at the 200 free going forwards, for which the training is more consistent with long term sanity.

• The variance in bike tech between 1Km time trial riders is massive.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited August 2022
    Kenny gets a lead out by the other English girls to win the scratch race, after a crash halfway at 20 laps messed up a Welsh breakaway and gave all 5+ mins of recovery.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo