Anyone for the Commies?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,266
    JimD666 said:

Wonder if any swimming forums have a "Should Peaty swallow his pride and retire" threads. He's obviously past it. 😉

I think he will retire, possibly before Paris... he has hinted at having lost the spark, having to reboot... in the meantime, opponents have got a taste of victory and know he can be beaten... they'll train harder and they'll beat him again
    left the forum March 2023
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415
    edited August 2022

JimD666 said:

Wonder if any swimming forums have a "Should Peaty swallow his pride and retire" threads. He's obviously past it. 😉

I think he will retire, possibly before Paris... he has hinted at having lost the spark, having to reboot... in the meantime, opponents have got a taste of victory and know he can be beaten... they'll train harder and they'll beat him again
    He won’t retire. He’ll have a break away from swimming after the 50 meter break stroke with his wife and child. Losing will hurt and he’ll use that and the doubters to come back stronger. The man is a born winner.

Jeez I’d hate to have a bad day at work with Ugo!

“Sean, call that a days work!? You need to retire.”
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,932
    Just finished watching the swimming from yesterday (Always a day behind to allow the wife the time to watch), the most annoying thing about the Peaty bit was it seemed to all be about him not winning rather than Wilby winning. I get it was a shock (sort of) but still....
  • ugo.santalucia
    seanoconn said:

JimD666 said:

He won’t retire. He’ll have a break away from swimming after the 50 meter break stroke with his wife and child. Losing will hurt and he’ll use that and the doubters to come back stronger. The man is a born winner.

:D

He won't retire now, but I would assume next year there will be some big competition... worlds or something where he won't win... then he will retire... my feeling (based on reading his interview) is that he has lost the appetite for the hard work... the 60 hours a week he needs to put in to be at the top... he can get more money for doing a lot less. Swimming is one of the hard ones... they put stupid hours in training, it's not like football where they show up at the ground at 10 and they're back home at 2 PM
  • Watched the whole 91kg mens weightlifting as Chris Murray is the nephew of a friend of ours, amazing to watch him get gold!
  • seanoconn said:

JimD666 said:

He won't retire now, but I would assume next year there will be some big competition... worlds or something where he won't win... then he will retire... my feeling (based on reading his interview) is that he has lost the appetite for the hard work... the 60 hours a week he needs to put in to be at the top... he can get more money for doing a lot less. Swimming is one of the hard ones... they put stupid hours in training, it's not like football where they show up at the ground at 10 and they're back home at 2 PM
    Don’t you think breaking a metatarsal 10 weeks ago and only having the cast taken off at the end of June might have had something to do with his currently relative lack of form?

Obviously the time out post-Tokyo won’t have helped, but ten weeks of highly compromised training is hard to overcome.

• ugo.santalucia

seanoconn said:

JimD666 said:

Don’t you think breaking a metatarsal 10 weeks ago and only having the cast taken off at the end of June might have had something to do with his currently relative lack of form?

Obviously the time out post-Tokyo won’t have helped, but ten weeks of highly compromised training is hard to overcome.

Yes, I am not surprised he lost, it's more his interview, where he hints at a lack of commitment... can he get the spark back, when he has nothing left to prove?
  • seanoconn said:

JimD666 said:

Yes, I am not surprised he lost, it's more his interview, where he hints at a lack of commitment... can he get the spark back, when he has nothing left to prove?
    I always try and avoid listening to Peaty interviews. He's a great swimmer - and given how far he is ahead of his contemporaries, one of the best athletes ever - but as a wordsmith he leaves much to be desired, spewing out random phrases that can only be pieced into something totally coherent with very expensive cryptography software.

But on the rare occasions I've heard him speak recently, he has repeated "legacy" a fair amount. And he runs a series of very expensive "race clinics" for school-age swimmers, which essentially relies on him being the "best current swimmer in the world" to justify paying premium rates for his unique services. Being the best swimmer from a few years ago doesn't quite cut it. So I fancy he will knuckle back down, and also as his legacy is still not secure. At least I assume it isn't; I have no real idea what a swimmer's legacy might look like!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,582
    Anyone know why the women tend to do long serves in badminton whilst the men do short ones? I played with a club for a few years in my early teens and we generally served long with short ones every now and then to mix it up

The only thing I can think is the men generate more power on smashes so they try to keep the shuttle low to take away any smash opportunities.
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

JimD666 said:

Spark is back 👍
  • Pross
    Not quite sure what the Zambian 400m runner was doing. Well clear if the field in the 400m qualifier and instead of easing back and taking it easy he kept pushing to the point he was lying on the track for minutes after finishing whilst those he'll need to beat in the semis were barely breathing.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Spotted a couple of black cyclists with matching kit crossing Kenilworth this morning, quite an unusual sight in this whiter than white sport... not very aware of the highway code, so I assumed they were CG athletes coming back from checking the course in Warwick...
  • Pross
    There seem to be some absolute c0cks amongst the swimmers. Always good when they then get beaten.
  • seanoconn
    Englands Daryl Neita was flying in the women’s 100m semis. Looking forward to seeing what she can do in the final later.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Love watching track races on a big TV.
    Going back to the days of Coe and Ovett on a small TV, it could be tense but it was all very remote.
    Just watched McColgan win the 10k and you can see just how hard she is working with 2 laps to go and then the kick. All in 50inch HD with a moving camera just feet away. Amazing to see.
  • seanoconn
    morstar said:

Going back to the days of Coe and Ovett on a small TV, it could be tense but it was all very remote.
    Just watched McColgan win the 10k and you can see just how hard she is working with 2 laps to go and then the kick. All in 50inch HD with a moving camera just feet away. Amazing to see.

The crowd practically picked her and carried her past the Kenyan over the last 300m. Absolutely brilliant.
  • morstar
    Going back a couple of days to the Mixed relay Tri.
    Georgia Taylor Brown had an easy ride really. She is a far superior athlete to anybody who was chasing her. The big plus in the England team was the 2nd male ‘Dickinson’ who only dropped about 11 seconds on his leg. He is under massive pressure lining up with the England (and GB) squads as he is simply nowhere near the same level as the rest of the squad.
    He was digging deep on the run. Must be massive boost for him to deliver a leg like that and keep the lead. Even knowing GTB could easily bring it home if he’d dropped back a bit.
  • morstar
    Draft legal tris can have Tri bars that do not extend past the brake levers.

Drafting racing is becoming a bit pants though. Nobody is taking it on on the bike in mens races since Brownlee has moved on.

Olympic distance has become very dull for the men and interestingly there have been a lot of sprint distance races this year.
  • Pross
    seanoconn said:

Englands Daryl Neita was flying in the women’s 100m semis. Looking forward to seeing what she can do in the final later.

Disappointing in the final. Her semi time would have won it comfortably.
  • Pross
    morstar said:

Loved the way she made her move just as they passed a lapped rider, giving just enough room for the Kenyan but making it uncomfortable. I thought she was going to break with 2 to go.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    edited August 2022
    Very impressive from Kiprotich to keep going for bronze when she looked screwed with 1km to go. I thought she was about to step off the track.

McColgan though - just kept with Cheptai when she attacked and outlasted her kick. Brilliant stuff.
  • Pross
    Yeah didn't like Kiprotich could hold on for a medal when she got dropped but managed it with plenty to spare. The chasing group really dropped back over the same distance
  • seanoconn
    Pross said:

seanoconn said:

Poor start again and a bit of added tension for the muscles in the final affected performance. Shame.
  • Pross said:

There seem to be some absolute c0cks amongst the swimmers. Always good when they then get beaten.

Anyone particular in mind?

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited August 2022
    Womens time trial, followed by mens, starts at 0955 today.

Looks like G is riding for Cymru.

And second woman off is throwing away speed, by not using tri bars, unreal.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross said:

seanoconn said:

I've just been catching up. Almost two tenths slower than her semi.
    She was asleep on the blocks and by the time she had finished her pick up, the pressure was on and the best she could finish was 3rd.
    No much use having the fastest top end speed by then.

Both sprint finals were rather disappointing in terms of times.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Quite a few, it's the way they strut in and pose about as though they think they're intimidating. I don't get the scooping up water and throwing it over the face and chest either, is there actually a practical reason for it or is just a case that one person did it so now they all do? Then there's that cupping bollox where they all look like a teenager who has just started going out with their first boyfriend / girlfriend.
  • Pross
    The Kenyan that won the 100m reminds me of Ben Johnson in his build (hopefully that is the only similarity!). The Welsh guy did surprinsingly well. The Welsh entrant in the women's 100m who was in the semi-finals is one of the people I go to for sports massage, she's very good.
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

Quite a few, it's the way they strut in and pose about as though they think they're intimidating. I don't get the scooping up water and throwing it over the face and chest either, is there actually a practical reason for it or is just a case that one person did it so now they all do? Then there's that cupping bollox where they all look like a teenager who has just started going out with their first boyfriend / girlfriend.
    Blimey. I'm guessing you never got selected for the A-team when you were a youngster. That's a lot of pent-up anger at things which are essentially trivial!

Re cupping, Kyle Chalmers swears by it, and it's hard to argue against his record. And he's a very big lad, so it would be dangerous to argue it to his face, but I'd pay good money to see you do it.

The thing you should really get riled at is coaches walking alongside the pool gesturing to the end of the pool to which their swimmer is swimming. Firstly, swimmers can't see this. Secondly, they know the direction in which they are swimming and that they need to get these asap. So it's utterly pointless nonsense from the coaches!
  • Pross
    Swimming has never been my thing to be fair, I just don't like posturing in any sport (you can get away with it if you're Bolt or equivalent) but swimmers seem worse for it than anyone other than maybe boxers. The thing I liked most yesterday was Proud coming out without any of that nonsense for the 50m final and just smashing the rest of them.

I haven't noticed the coaches doing that, it's pretty funny - has a swimmer ever got lost and gone the wrong way in the pool?