Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    edited July 2022
    For those that missed it

Edit: longer version

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Appreciate these mini previews, Blazing - thank you. Easier to find quickly than the official ones!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146

If AVV recovers over the next couple of days she's capable of doing some real damage at the tail end of this race, but you've got to think that's her done for if she's been not eating for two days.

Sounds like she was doing some real damage at the tail today!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701

Appreciate these mini previews, Blazing - thank you. Easier to find quickly than the official ones!

I hadn't bothered to check the official site, but I have to say that now having done so, they have really pulled out all the stops: it's basically a carbon copy of the men's race.

For example, tomorrow:

TROYES
    Population: 62,200
    Specialities: champagne (2nd largest production department), Riceys rosé, andouillette, sauerkraut, cheeses (Chaource, Champ sur Barse and Mussy)

TROYES AND CYCLING

Troyes is a cycling town, often on the route of the Tour, the last finish in 2017 b success for Marcel Kittel. Paris-Troyes is one of the finest amateur classics now open to continental teams. Marcel Bidot was from Troyes, a regular of the UV Aube cycling club and Jacques Anquetil's sporting director when he won his first Tour in 1957. And so were the Simon brothers (Pascal and François, both Yellow Jersey holders, Régis and Jérôme, both stage winners in the Tour), members of the UVCA, the other local club. Only a stage of the Tour Femmes was missing.

Pascal Caffet's sweets
    A pastry chef and chocolatier, he has won the titles of Best Pastry Worker in France (in 1989) and World Pastry, Chocolate and Ice Cream Champion (in 1995). World famous, he has opened shops in Italy and Japan, he has two shops in Troyes: at the Marché des Halles, and at 2, Rue de la Monnaie.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    It's late, but fair play to them they aren't half assing it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Didn't realise Cosmo isn't half assing it either. Great assessment of SD Worx' "tactics" here:

• blazing_saddles
    andyp said:

Nicole Frain can't seem to make up her mind on what actually happened. She posted this on social media yesterday evening:

Back to that crash and I didn't get what you meant when you said Frain couldn't make up her mind, but I have read this morning that she gave Dutch Eurosport tv an interview. It's fair to say that not many would give her the benefit of the doubt after hearing it.

https://www.eurosport.nl/wielrennen/tour-de-france-femmes/2022/tour-de-france-femmes-ik-dacht-een-gaatje-te-zien.-frain-over-aandeel-in-grote-valpartij_sto9060266/story.shtml

Basically: "I thought I was going to make it through. And then there was a rider right in front and, yeah, I was going in pretty fast...."(smiling) yeah, I didn't miss that one."
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447

andyp said:

Nicole Frain can't seem to make up her mind on what actually happened. She posted this on social media yesterday evening:

Back to that crash and I didn't get what you meant when you said Frain couldn't make up her mind, but I have read this morning that she gave Dutch Eurosport tv an interview. It's fair to say that not many would give her the benefit of the doubt after hearing it.

https://www.eurosport.nl/wielrennen/tour-de-france-femmes/2022/tour-de-france-femmes-ik-dacht-een-gaatje-te-zien.-frain-over-aandeel-in-grote-valpartij_sto9060266/story.shtml

Basically: "I thought I was going to make it through. And then there was a rider right in front and, yeah, I was going in pretty fast...."(smiling) yeah, I didn't miss that one."
    I thought I'd linked to that interview. Basically her story changed from the post-race interview with Dutch Eurosport to what she subsequently posted on social media. Presumably after seeing the footage and the response to it.

I appreciate it all happened in a matter of seconds, but I don't think I've ever seen a rider show such a basic disregard of the safety of others in a race before. It was only a matter of luck that no-one was seriously injured.
  • blazing_saddles
    andyp said:

andyp said:

I thought I'd linked to that interview. Basically her story changed from the post-race interview with Dutch Eurosport to what she subsequently posted on social media. Presumably after seeing the footage and the response to it.

I appreciate it all happened in a matter of seconds, but I don't think I've ever seen a rider show such a basic disregard of the safety of others in a race before. It was only a matter of luck that no-one was seriously injured.
    Ah, I see now that you did.
    I read your first post about being unaware, Pross's response, but missed your Dutch Eurosport link.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095

davidof said:

davidof said:

Interestingly, if I understood correctly, Jeannie Longo may be at the start of the race as a guest of honour. Marion Rousse announced this through clenched teeth but so clenched I had trouble hearing what she had to say.

https://www.letourfemmes.fr/

like Banquo's ghost

Good advert for drug use
    Marion like a greek goddess
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Racing's begun in blackout conditions again - apparently no withdrawals overnight, which is a bonus.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

Didn't realise Cosmo isn't half assing it either. Great assessment of SD Worx' "tactics" here:

Even He who must not be named is not half assing it...

Full Podcast effort!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Eurosport now live. 19km or so to the first gravel.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Getting into the buisness end of stage 4 ....sprint point coming up . Breakaway with 1:30 3 riders
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    No real pressure within the peloton right now, so looks like they're happy for the break to soak up the points.
  • mididoctors
    Spectators by side of the road in numbers
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    I fear carnage ahead from the description of the gravel.
  • mididoctors
    Weibes Hoovers up 4th place points
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    It does look a fraction excessive, doesn't it? Being free to pick the smoothest line might be decisive.
  • mididoctors
    Narrow road bunfight into first climb...
  • mididoctors
    Vollering putting down power on the gravel

Strong cross wind left shoulder
  • mididoctors
    Peloton fragmenting
  • mididoctors
    Iffy corners..lol
  • blazing_saddles
    Half the peloton already gone for the day
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Haven't seen any problems so far, but it's virtually single file behind the usual culprits up in the front bunch.
  • mididoctors
    Pretty technical narrow roads ...tough
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Biannic's brain fade around taking her bidon betrayed a fair bit of anxiety, didn't it?
  • mididoctors
    Plenty of movistar up front but they lost one puncture
  • mididoctors
    Ticker inaccurate?