TDF 2022:- Stage 18: Lourdes - Hautacam, 143.2Km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    All back together. We go again
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    All this does is confirm that there are a lot of optimistic morons in the peloton.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,510
    edited July 2022
    Pross said:

Does anyone know if live coverage can be rewound on the ES player Android app? I got in yesterday and was expecting the watch live or watch from the start option but didn't get it and couldn't rewind (the stage had ended but coverage was still in with post-stage interviews). Out again today but would like to watch most of the stage 'as live' when I get back.

You can usually just pick it from the schedule then when it is playing pick a point in time.
  • Jtomesgreen
    Jtomesgreen Posts: 190

All this does is confirm that there are a lot of optimistic morons in the peloton.

Arguably a prerequisite of being a pro cyclist
  • blazing_saddles
    Cofidis ain’t letting Ciconne get up the road
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

I can't help but think that what this stage really needed was a climb of 5-6kms at 5-6% after about 20kms, just to give the breakaway a bit of quality and a chance . I can't see anything sticking before the Aubisque, which will be far too late.

A bummer about Froome, so late in the day. He would have been trying for that break, today.

He sounds gutted, big shame

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgRclHlrbn5/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Well it's not like they were doing anything else today
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,029
    edited July 2022
    Wva decides there is no I in team and at ~35secs off the break, decides to try and join them.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mididoctors
    Saw that coming
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Wtf. Moto idiot 😱
  • mididoctors
    Press bike fault
  • blazing_saddles
    Ridiculous press bike puts Jack Bauer into the back of a team car.
  • mididoctors
    Press bike fault

Wtf. Moto idiot 😱

Poor call going for that gap ...the crash up front caught him out
  • mididoctors

Cofidis ain’t letting Ciconne get up the road

Better plan that getting in the break
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Caused by the first bike - serves across the rider in front to pull in, punts him off, the UAE car brakes and Bauer goes a over t
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    edited July 2022
    Not sure how rider in front of Bauer and UAE car went down, press motorbike stopped Bauer from passing the stopped UAE car, but looked like he would likely have hit the other fallen rider.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mididoctors

Not sure how rider in front of Bauer and UAE car went down, press motorbike stopped Bauer from passing the stopped UAE car, but looked like he would likely have hit the other fallen rider.

Hard to see wasn't it ....rear ended ?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat

Hard to see wasn't it ....rear ended ?
    Or were there two press motorbikes there, one in front of UAE car?

Confused.com
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mididoctors
    That's one frantic peloton
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    When the team car slammed on because of the crash in front I think Bauer would have gone into the back of it if that moto was there or not.
  • mididoctors
    Yellow jersey having a word
  • mididoctors
    I love the new racing
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2022
    r0bh said:

When the team car slammed on because of the crash in front I think Bauer would have gone into the back of it if that moto was there or not.

He may have made the gap but 50 50
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    edited July 2022
    This sort of shows what's going on. You can see the moto ahead with its indicator on, having just come into contact with the rider in front. The UAE car has slammed the brakes on and Bauer and the second press moto are headed towards a gap that isn't about to appear. I can't see any reason for the UAE car to have braked other than the incident ahead, but they seem to have pre-empted it and over-reacted meaning they come to a halt with nowhere for Bauer to go. Lots to unpick here, and I suspect a bit of culpability all round.

• blazing_saddles
    Still tootling along over tough terrain at a gentle 50kph.
    No sign of things settling down as Cofidis are closing it down again.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Van Aert underlining there are no gifts, takes the intermediate
  • blazing_saddles
    The breakaway has 20 seconds lead as they hit the Aubisque.

Why is Kirby still commentating? Should have swapped out by now.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Lot of riders today desperately trying to remember what the safe word was
  • blazing_saddles
    Louis Meintjes attacks out of the peloton.
    Pidcock bridges
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

Van Aert underlining there are no gifts, takes the intermediate

Why though, he has already won the green jersey! Shouldn't he be saving energy to help Ving?