TDF 2022:- Stage 18: Lourdes - Hautacam, 143.2Km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,694
edited July 2022 in Pro race
Stage 18: Lourdes - Hautacam, 143.2Km *****

Start Time: 13-30CET.

The last high altitude test of the Tour de France is a 143.2 kilometres raced from Lourdes to Hautacam. With the introduction of the much-feared Col de Spandelles between the legendary Col d’Aubisque and the always-decisive finishing climb to Hautacam, it’s a climb combination never before seen in the Tour. This stage has been ranked with the highest degree of difficulty.
All of these come after an initial and usual 60kms of virtually flat roads.

Until Laruns it’s a long flat road, once again an hilly/uphill start is missing to give the pure climbers a chance to enter the break with raw power. Then it will be time for the Aubisque, a really hard ascent with 17,1 km at 7%, but the last 10 km rise up with an average gradient of 8,3%.
When the Spandelles was used at the lesser-known Route du Sud 10 years ago, Colombian climber Nairo Quintana broke clear on the Spandelles and soloed to victory.
Extremely narrow, with rough pavement, 20 turns and frequent double-digit pitches, the 10.3-kilometer Spandelles was thought to be impassable for Le Tour, but the regional highways department has done work on it to make the descent safer.
Then it will be time for Hautacam, 13,2 km at 8%. The second half is the hardest part with kilometres 8, 9 and 11 standing out – respectively with gradients at 10.3%, 11.3%, and 10.4%.

The Climbs:
Aubisque pass (1,709 m)
The Aubisque is one of the classic passes of the Tour de France, which has been climbed by the peloton on 73 occasions in the past. Two stages ended at the summit, in 1985 and 2010. It is 16.6km long with a percentage of 7.5 pc and peaks at 13 pc after Eaux-Bonnes. On the Tour’s last visit, in 2018, it was Rafal Majka who was at the front.

Spandelles pass (1,378 m)
The Spandelles pass is a first-time feature of the Tour de France, but it is not unknown to the riders. In 2012, on the Route du Sud, Nairo Quintana led the way to the summit and the pass caused a lot of damage. Thomas Voeckler in particular was forced to put his foot down halfway up the climb.

Final Kms.

The ascent to ski resort Hautacam is a scenic one-way climb. The length is 13.6 kilometres and the average gradient sits at 7.8%.
It’s the sixth time the Hautacam ascent is included in the Tour de France. Luc Leblanc won in 1994, Bjarne Riis in 1996 , Javier Otxoa in 2000, Juan José Cobo in 2008, and in 2014 Vincenzo Nibali took the win. With the exception of Otxoa and Nibali all these riders were affiliated with doping at some point in their career.

What to Expect.
It's getting very repetitive, but yet another endless (and mostly fruitless) battle to get into the breakaway, but the deadwood will be cut almost immediately, by the ascent of the Aubisque, meaning that the lead group will feature solely strong climbers. Which in turn makes it more likely that the winner will come from the breakaway.
It's also likely for the last mountain stage to be a huge battle among podium contenders. If the time bonuses at the line could change the final GC order, we would likely see a clash on the finish climb, with the winner coming from the select GC group.
Take your pick.

Lourdes

Population: 14 361
Specialities: spit-roasted cake, Bigorre black pork, Pailhasson chocolates, Malespine sweets, Pyrenean cheese, garbure, Tarbais beans

LOURDES AND CYCLING

The city of 5 million visitors per year, the third most important pilgrimage site in Catholicism, also receives the Tour's peloton on a more occasional basis.

It was only in 1948 that a finishing line was drawn in Lourdes for the victory of Gino "the Pious" Bartali. On that day, the national hero of Italian cycling, who, along with Fausto Coppi, was responsible for boosting the morale of his country, took his winning bouquet to the grotto and attributed his miraculous victory in the Tour, ten years after the first, to Our Lady of Lourdes. Afterwards, he would return to the shrine each time he visited the region. Other stages were held in the hills, in the nearby resort of Hautacam, but in 2011, the victory in the town went to Thor Hushovd, who was wearing the world champion's jersey at the time. In 2018, the square in front of the basilica was used as a starting area for the penultimate stage of this edition, won with mastery in Laruns by Primoz Roglic, who came out of a strong group in the final. At the finish, the Slovenian rider, who wasn't yet considered as a potential Tour winner, took his second stage win after the one he had won the year before in Serre-Chevalier.

Malespine sweets

Km 57.7

Laruns (Pop: 1,200)
Laruns has somehow turned into the cycling capital of Slovenia, since the 2020 Tour, when Tadej Pogacar won a stage in town ahead of his compatriot Primoz Roglic. Roglic, who had already won in the cheese city in 2018, took the Yellow Jersey that was thought to be definitive. Wrongly so.
Laruns cheese
Traditionally, the Laruns Cheese Fair takes place on the first weekend of October, accompanied by its old-style market and various events. The village is then dressed in its festive clothes for the occasion to revive the traditions: straw on the ground, old crafts, costumes, traditional dances and songs, chicken in the pot in the restaurants. Of course, you can taste laruns, a cheese produced from sheep's milk in the Ossau valley, which is also included in the Ossau-iraty production area.

Hautacam

Population: 420

Specialities: garbure bigourdane, rocher des Pyrénées (cake), Black pork of Bigorre.

HAUTACAM AND CYCLING

Five stages of the Tour finished at the top of the long climb to the resort overlooking Lourdes. Luc Leblanc was the first rider to put his name to it in 1994, just before winning the world champion title in Sicily. Hautacam also marked a turning point in Cadel Evans' career in 2008: he took the lead in the overall classification of the Tour for the first time... with a one second lead over Fränk Schleck. This first experience in yellow only lasted five days for the Australian, who was weakened by an injury and had to give up the Yellow Jersey for eight seconds on the climb to Prato Nevoso. In the end, he finished second in this edition, 58 seconds behind Carlos Sastre. Cadel Evans later held the Yellow Jersey in 2010, for one day, and finally in 2011 to become the first Australian winner in Paris. In 2014, it was in Hautacam that Vincenzo Nibali completed his domination by taking his fourth stage victory of the edition at the summit, 1:10 ahead of Thibaut Pinot. In the overall classification, the shark from Messina had a 7:10 advantage on the Frenchman with three days to go before the Champs-Élysées: the case was heard.

garbure

This is the traditional soup in Bigorre. Made from cabbage and beans, it is simmered with confit or "camayou", a local ham bone. You can find it in many restaurants in the area and especially at the Auberge de l'Arrioutou, the Hautacam restaurant which has made it a speciality.
At the beginning of June, you should not miss the Confrérie de la Garbure in Argelès-Gazost, the traditional celebration of the typical Bigorre dish: mass led by the Ariélès Singers, parade of the brotherhoods of the south-west, inductions, market and garbure meal.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,500
    Bit disappointed with the distance. When I rode these I actually rode further…
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    Classic Stage tho...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

Bit disappointed with the distance. When I rode these I actually rode further…

Probably hampered by the fact that most climbs along the valley are dead ends at the top. Cauterets, Luz Ardiden, Hautucam etc.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,168
    Seing as they start in Lourdes, will Pog throw a 'hail Mary' all or nothing long range attack?
    I don't know why, but I don't think this is yet over - Jonas has looked reasonably comfortable with Pog's attacks, but it only needs one to stick.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,103
    I'm hoping the Yates and Pidcock losing loads of time today was them saving themselves and Geraint refusing to get dragged into going into the red to stay with the leaders is because they have something planned tomorrow.

Obviously this is just wishful thinking but looking at Pog when he crossed the line it seems equally as likely as him successfully going on the attack unless that was more of his acting skills.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross said:

I'm hoping the Yates and Pidcock losing loads of time today was them saving themselves and Geraint refusing to get dragged into going into the red to stay with the leaders is because they have something planned tomorrow.

It would be nice but Yates says he's ill and 22 minutes was a little excessive for Pidcock.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    Did you know the Armstrong one had the star wars music in it when you posted it?

:P
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,785
    Ludricous speed
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,834
    Purple chops fast.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Are they all riding on the big (53) ring in that first video.
  • mididoctors
    webboo said:

Are they all riding on the big (53) ring in that first video.

Riis did
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • phreak
    Hautucam has a very similar profile to d'Huez (as an amateur if you can do both in an hour you've done okay), and they both seem to inspire balls out efforts as they're both always finishes. Hautucam is perhaps rather more notorious for the extra-terrestrial nature of the efforts though.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,525
    I hate Hautacam. Over here it just turns into National Riis Day. The amount of edits of that gurning bald doper I'm going to be subjected to is horrific. Of course they'll mention the doping but that just opens the door to yet another tedious "is what we're watching now clean?" debate.
    For the record, Vingegaard wasn't born when Riis did this.

Also for the record, when I was young and naive I really liked his attack. It had a touch of the Fignon about it, the slip back and check the competition out before going.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    andyp said:
    Stop it. You're making me nervous.
    *it is, of course, entirely correct *
  • rick_chasey
    To this day I still find those 90s rides just so much more visually impressive mainly because of the gears they ride. Legs are going slow but the world is whipping by.

Nowadays they just don’t look as fast even when they are
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2022
    G is just dieseling himself onto the podium ..it's been a solid performance...don't crack today please
  • mididoctors
    phreak said:

Hautucam has a very similar profile to d'Huez (as an amateur if you can do both in an hour you've done okay), and they both seem to inspire balls out efforts as they're both always finishes. Hautucam is perhaps rather more notorious for the extra-terrestrial nature of the efforts though.

Took me longer than a hour . Had come over the tourmalet
  • mididoctors

To this day I still find those 90s rides just so much more visually impressive mainly because of the gears they ride. Legs are going slow but the world is whipping by.

Riis went up in 53 x 19 for a lot of it
  • phreak

Bjerg's cadence seemed really high yesterday. Must have been well over 100.
  • phreak

phreak said:

Took me longer than a hour . Had come over the tourmalet
    Nice bit of downhill all the way though to recover. That bike path from Pierefitte(?) all the way through to Lourdes is fantastic.
  • rick_chasey

Riis went up in 53 x 19 for a lot of it
    Sometimes I struggle to ride into a headwind on the flat in that….
  • ddraver
    Slightly strange to have a Flat day on the final Friday innit? Not very Prudhomme.

(works out ok for me though as I'm home for this one)
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,395
    ddraver said:

Did you know the Armstrong one had the star wars music in it when you posted it?

:P

That piece of music is the best bit about episode 1...
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,380
    phreak said:

Bjerg's cadence seemed really high yesterday. Must have been well over 100.
    Pog and Ving were both on small chainring and second or third biggest sprocket on the final climb yesterday
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Ok... Pog to risk everything and go from the Aubisque??
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • ddraver
    josame said:

I don't think he can...
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver said:

Slightly strange to have a Flat day on the final Friday innit? Not very Prudhomme.

(works out ok for me though as I'm home for this one)

It's been strange to have all the mountain stages on weekdays this Tour. Even Planche de Belle Filles was a Friday. I guess the Copenhagen start and transfer day threw everything out.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    edited July 2022
    ddraver said:

josame said:

I don't think he can...
    true, but maybe yesterday's 135th place Hirschi bar can deliver the sweetness (I need to lay off the double espressos)
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'