TDF 2022:- Stage 18: Lourdes - Hautacam, 143.2Km ***Spoilers***

1789101113»

Comments

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,380
    I've seen the likes of Kwiato look far worse than that after their final pull
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,924

Got to say I don't think he looks that bad after that.

Wout Van Aert I am not, but I reckon I'd be getting off the bike, puking then lying down for a bit after an effort like that. Feel a bit ill thinking about it in that heat.

A comparison so removed that it is irrelevant but…
    I tried the Mortirolo in 45C. I gave up when I realised that I was just melting while stopped for a drink break in a shaded hairpin.
    I have a new respect for those who race in these conditions.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Got to say I don't think he looks that bad after that.

Wout Van Aert I am not, but I reckon I'd be getting off the bike, puking then lying down for a bit after an effort like that. Feel a bit ill thinking about it in that heat.

Don’t the guys in Wout’s situation just keep pedalling at the watts required by their leader or the DS until they can no longer hold it? They don’t change down a gear and drop a few watts so they can pace themselves to the top.

They “park” by the roadside, understandably “blowing smoke” and it looks dramatic as they are way over geared at that point, but then recover fairly quickly so they can complete the climb in good shape.

It’s a different type of fatigue to that experienced when someone gets to the point that they can’t continue up a climb at any pace.

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,451
    edited August 2022
    They'll be fine when they shift the gears up to a a few gears easier. Back in the day they just rode up after their pull. Now, after Kwiatkowski received so many plaudits for stopping entirely after his pull at the Tour a few years ago, it's come into fashion to park up and celebrate your sacrifice (indirectly) on social media. 😉😜

I'm not immune to this in any way. 😂
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023