TDF 2022:- Stage 18: Lourdes - Hautacam, 143.2Km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    I hope we see Pidcock on screen lots for the Aubisque Solour descent... Scene of my favourite stage win ever, 2011 watching Thor in the rainbow bands hitting ~125kph on the moto speedo .

IIRC at the time King Kelly said it was the same descent he had his fastest speed of also 125kph

I had hit 112kph on it the year earlier during Etape De Tour.

Love me a fast downhill.

https://youtu.be/DMwayTvyn0s
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    It's hot again, around 30c in the valleys
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • alan_a
    edited July 2022
    ddraver said:

Slightly strange to have a Flat day on the final Friday innit? Not very Prudhomme.

(works out ok for me though as I'm home for this one)

Typical for when Bastille day is a Thursday. The French take half the week off so its a very long weekend.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,133
    Does anyone know if live coverage can be rewound on the ES player Android app? I got in yesterday and was expecting the watch live or watch from the start option but didn't get it and couldn't rewind (the stage had ended but coverage was still in with post-stage interviews). Out again today but would like to watch most of the stage 'as live' when I get back.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,584
    Sporza will do that for you if you have a vpn
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    alan_a said:

I hope we see Pidcock on screen lots for the Aubisque Solour descent... Scene of my favourite stage win ever, 2011 watching Thor in the rainbow bands hitting ~125kph on the moto speedo .

IIRC at the time King Kelly said it was the same descent he had his fastest speed of also 125kph

Love me a fast downhill.

They won't be going that way. They turn left at the Soulor to get back to Argeles via the Spandelles. That road down the Soulor way is very wide and open (and fast). The Spandelles descent is far more technical.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    Pross said:

Does anyone know if live coverage can be rewound on the ES player Android app? I got in yesterday and was expecting the watch live or watch from the start option but didn't get it and couldn't rewind (the stage had ended but coverage was still in with post-stage interviews). Out again today but would like to watch most of the stage 'as live' when I get back.

I think if you start watching when live coverage begins, then pause, you can watch the rest when you unpause.
  • Jtomesgreen
    Jtomesgreen Posts: 190
    alan_a said:

Love me a fast downhill.

The descending was good, but disposing of the other riders in the break who were at the time reasonably handy breakaway types (forgive me I've not watched it in a long time) was special!
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    Pross said:

I'm hoping the Yates and Pidcock losing loads of time today was them saving themselves and Geraint refusing to get dragged into going into the red to stay with the leaders is because they have something planned tomorrow.

Obviously this is just wishful thinking but looking at Pog when he crossed the line it seems equally as likely as him successfully going on the attack unless that was more of his acting skills.

I don't see Thomas arriving in Paris and having a gap smaller than 3 minutes between him and yellow at this stage he's just not the level of the other two. He'd likely not have won the tour in 2018 if Froome and Dumoulin hadn't done the Giro already that year.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    phreak said:

phreak said:

Hautucam has a very similar profile to d'Huez (as an amateur if you can do both in an hour you've done okay), and they both seem to inspire balls out efforts as they're both always finishes. Hautucam is perhaps rather more notorious for the extra-terrestrial nature of the efforts though.

Took me longer than a hour . Had come over the tourmalet
    Nice bit of downhill all the way though to recover. That bike path from Pierefitte(?) all the way through to Lourdes is fantastic.
    Yeah but that valley is always a strong headwind from the base of the tourmalet
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,584
    I actually turned down the option to do Hautacam. It was a 4 col day and we were already at the hotel 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    Froome has covid DNS
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,751
    Erviti and Caruso out with covid too.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    I can't help but think that what this stage really needed was a climb of 5-6kms at 5-6% after about 20kms, just to give the breakaway a bit of quality and a chance . I can't see anything sticking before the Aubisque, which will be far too late.

A bummer about Froome, so late in the day. He would have been trying for that break, today.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    WVA goes up the road as soon as the flag drops.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    WVA attacks from the start
  • mididoctors

I actually turned down the option to do Hautacam. It was a 4 col day and we were already at the hotel 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

Probably a wise decision
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Jumbo need a break
  • blazing_saddles
    Erviti and Caruso also dns with Covid
  • alan_a
    phreak said:

alan_a said:

Love me a fast downhill.

They won't be going that way. They turn left at the Soulor to get back to Argeles via the Spandelles. That road down the Soulor way is very wide and open (and fast). The Spandelles descent is far more technical.
    B U G G E R
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2022

alan_a said:

Love me a fast downhill.

The descending was good, but disposing of the other riders in the break who were at the time reasonably handy breakaway types (forgive me I've not watched it in a long time) was special!
    I doubt You can get 125kmh
    on the soulor the way they are going down ...maybe the arrens route
  • mididoctors
    What's happening in the kom ?
  • blazing_saddles

What's happening in the kom ?

Nothing, as nothing is even remotely sorted.
    Powless did have an early try and Cofidis are on patrol, but that's about it.
    It's going to take a long time yet, before anything concrete is established.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Cofidis desperate to get Geschke some points
  • blazing_saddles
    Mikkel Bjerg is looking rough.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Geschke has missed the break so Cofidis riding hard to bring it back
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Blimey, Cofidis just pulled a huge group off the front
  • mididoctors
    Pog has to be closing in by accident
  • mididoctors

Cofidis desperate to get Geschke some points

Not getting much help
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Mikkel Bjerg is looking rough.

Lol at the jumbo visma team car accelerating past him 😅