Will Smith at the Oscars

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812

I broke a kid’s nose who regularly beat me up out of school.

I did it in school - only because I was a straight A student and a massive teacher’s pet that I didn’t get suspended.

Not entirely sure how this is relevant.

It’s really simple. Don’t hit people on stage at the Oscars. Rock’s joke didn’t justify it even remotely.

Just like to use Rick's post to point out the obvious.
    If this forum's poster boy for peace and pacifism can admit to a random act of violence, it's much more commonplace than the folks disputing my 50% comment, think.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

^ that's old news.

The chat is they have an open relationship as allegedly it's a marriage of convenience as they're both gay.

I thought she'd had a fling with a male rapper - maybe bisexual.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    john80 said:

Pross said:

john80 said:

I'm with rick.

It is not acceptable to walk on stage and hit the presenter at an awards ceremony, provoked or not.

If he's in front of you and you give him a slap at a bar for being a gobshyte, then fair enough (but not condonable) but to lack the self awareness to get out of your seat and walk on stage? Come on.

You obviously did not read Rick's original post. He is 100% behind Will Smith in case you missed it.
    Not sure how you take that from "Smith is a big lad. Was a weird slap" unless I missed some other post.
    He started the thread for christ sake.
    MattFalle said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Lol keyboard warriors the lot of ya if you’re going around saying it’s ok to slap people who slag off the mrs

I find this so ironic coming from you.

A comedian stands up on a stage somewhere and makes jokes about a minority. This immediately causes offence among people easily offended and he or she is immediately targeted for cancellation.
    A comedian stands up on stage and targets an individual with a medical condition for ridicule, in front of millions and nobody can be bothered to censure the comedian, because there’s more virtue signalling to be gained from going after the offended for their response.

IMO the guilty party here is the academy for knowingly putting all the combustibles together.
    Eh? Think all have been clear that Rock was wrong. But Smith was more wrong. Two wrongs, in fact. If people who were, say, offended by Nigel Farage and slapped him because of some xenophobic nonsense he'd uttered they would also be more in the wrong.
    I probably would not have to look too far on this forum to all those posts that supported the individual throwing milkshakes at Farage a while ago.
    are you saying that throwing milkshakes at farage, yaxley lennon, etc is/was a bad thing?
    What I am alluding to is the hypocrisy of those that think that attacking Farage was OK and viewing this positively but then think that this is unacceptable from Will Smith.

Well yeh. Farage contributed to incredibly dangerous political instability in the West.

Throw anything you want at the odious c_unt.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

^ that's old news.

The chat is they have an open relationship as allegedly it's a marriage of convenience as they're both gay.

I thought she'd had a fling with a male rapper -
    this, exactly - the male rapper bit. Tuppence Ha'penny or something.

He's also had past female flings and was "Close" to Halle Berry, so its not all one way traffic methinks.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

2) Much as the "slap" was inappropriate and wrong, for someone who trained for the part and played Ali, I would have thought Smith would have properly slotted him.

This is my thinking. If Smith had well and truly lost the plot then it would have been a punch, not a girly slap. A slap is a put down, not what you do when angry.
    theres one simple reason for this.

you ever tried fighting in a dinner jacket? not a chance. far too tight, no way to get arm back enough to punch through.

its like fighting in a straight jacket.

it was so much casual violence on the night, more formal violence.
    Should be able to get in a decent uppercut. Point was though that if he was properly angry he wouldn't have thought about it and held back.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

2) Much as the "slap" was inappropriate and wrong, for someone who trained for the part and played Ali, I would have thought Smith would have properly slotted him.

This is my thinking. If Smith had well and truly lost the plot then it would have been a punch, not a girly slap. A slap is a put down, not what you do when angry.

you ever tried fighting in a dinner jacket? not a chance. far too tight, no way to get arm back enough to punch through.

007 never seems to have any trouble fighting in his. You need to get a decent one that fits, stop buying your clothes from Age Concern.
  • MattFalle
    webboo said:

MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

007 never seems to have any trouble fighting in his. You need to get a decent one that fits, stop buying your clothes from Age Concern.
    i only get my cardigans from there. although they smell of mothballs they're great value and you occasionally find Werthers Originals in the pockets.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    MattFalle said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

i only get my cardigans from there. although they smell of mothballs they're great value and you occasionally find Werthers Originals in the pockets.

St Helier branch?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

Should be able to get in a decent uppercut. Point was though that if he was properly angry he wouldn't have thought about it and held back.
    nah. its like a fitted suit or 2s. you'd never scrap in that.

the slap was a waste. he should have 'butted him or kicked him in the nads.

now that would have been funny

#comedypain

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    MattFalle said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

Sh*t. I wondered where my Werthers had gone. I better apologise to the grandson.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Pross said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

john80 said:

I'm with rick.

It is not acceptable to walk on stage and hit the presenter at an awards ceremony, provoked or not.

If he's in front of you and you give him a slap at a bar for being a gobshyte, then fair enough (but not condonable) but to lack the self awareness to get out of your seat and walk on stage? Come on.

You obviously did not read Rick's original post. He is 100% behind Will Smith in case you missed it.
    Not sure how you take that from "Smith is a big lad. Was a weird slap" unless I missed some other post.
    MattFalle said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Lol keyboard warriors the lot of ya if you’re going around saying it’s ok to slap people who slag off the mrs

A comedian stands up on a stage somewhere and makes jokes about a minority. This immediately causes offence among people easily offended and he or she is immediately targeted for cancellation.
    A comedian stands up on stage and targets an individual with a medical condition for ridicule, in front of millions and nobody can be bothered to censure the comedian, because there’s more virtue signalling to be gained from going after the offended for their response.

IMO the guilty party here is the academy for knowingly putting all the combustibles together.
    Eh? Think all have been clear that Rock was wrong. But Smith was more wrong. Two wrongs, in fact. If people who were, say, offended by Nigel Farage and slapped him because of some xenophobic nonsense he'd uttered they would also be more in the wrong.
    I probably would not have to look too far on this forum to all those posts that supported the individual throwing milkshakes at Farage a while ago.
    are you saying that throwing milkshakes at farage, yaxley lennon, etc is/was a bad thing?
    What I am alluding to is the hypocrisy of those that think that attacking Farage was OK and viewing this positively but then think that this is unacceptable from Will Smith.
    I'm pretty sure Rick is not MattFalle, MF started the thread. Rick's first post on the subject was the comment about Will Smith being a big lad.
    You are correct. My mistake.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    MattFalle said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

john80 said:

I'm with rick.

MattFalle said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Is there a difference though between slapping someone who has made repeated barbs at your wife's medical condition although he has been told not to and lobbing a milkshake over two racists, one who is a friend of Russia and a cheating, lying adulterer, the other who has mutiple criminal convictions for violence, lying, and stealing money?

After all, milkshakes aren't slaps.
    Maybe I am not conventional but to me a slap to the face and walking around with a milkshake down my top are both similarly embarrassing. Funnily enough both are likely to be classed as assault in the UK. Farage for all those that don't like him was a politician at the time and if you let him be the butt of repeated assaults then why not any other politician. For every politician there will be someone in the UK with a strong view on them. Is Farage a racist? When you type this into google as a question there are some that say yes and a lot that say no.

Yaxley is in the process of being dealt with quite effectively by the courts and criminal justice system which seems to me a bit better than doing minor assaults on him with milkshakes.

Personally I would have used my speech to lay into the Rock but each to their own.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

#comedypain

You got me curious so I tried. You are correct. Throwing a proper punch is indeed problematic. However, an uppercut is simple, and easier than his girly slap.

Otherwise, a knee to the nads would have been funnier.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    MattFalle said:

Two things I find disappointing in this whole episode:

1) The Academy have condemned Smith and launched a "formal review" but have not condemned Rock for his "joke" about someone with alopecia.

Get angry, lose the argument, regardless.

Thems the rules.
    My comment has nothing to do with anyone getting angry.

Do you think it right that they have condemned Smith and launched a formal review for the slap but not Rock for the "joke"?
    Yeah. One is not equal to the other.

You want comics to be able to make bad taste jokes don't you? Else we really are in cancel culture territory.
    Depends what you call "bad taste" really.

I prefer comedy that "punches up" (or at least sideways) but if your definition of funny bad taste includes taking the p!ss out of people with unpleasant medical conditions then crack on. If she'd have shaved her head for reasons of fashion or vanity then she'd be fair game and the joke could be deemed funny but it wasn't and he knew it wasn't.

If I had the choice to make, I reckon in the grand scheme of things I'd rather be remembered as the bloke who slapped someone for taking the p!ss out of his medically compromised wife than be remembered as the bloke who made such a remark.

Hopefully I won't have to make that choice and be remembered as either.
    this

Jimmy Carr style "comedy"? Yeah, I'd smack him one, very, very happily.

Russell Howard really nice funny pisstaking? Can watch it all day.

Limits to comedy - everyone has different ones and it seems like this one was reached. Rock didn't read his audience tbh.
    I seem to remember a few lining up to defend Carr's jokes about murdering gipsies. Being offended is fine. As a comedian you should be able to misjudge a joke and just get the odd heckle, though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

I broke a kid’s nose who regularly beat me up out of school.

I did it in school - only because I was a straight A student and a massive teacher’s pet that I didn’t get suspended.

Not entirely sure how this is relevant.

It’s really simple. Don’t hit people on stage at the Oscars. Rock’s joke didn’t justify it even remotely.

Just like to use Rick's post to point out the obvious.
    If this forum's poster boy for peace and pacifism can admit to a random act of violence, it's much more commonplace than the folks disputing my 50% comment, think.
    "At school" being the important bit. Most of us grow out of it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

#comedypain

You got me curious so I tried. You are correct. Throwing a proper punch is indeed problematic. However, an uppercut is simple, and easier than his girly slap.

see what i mean.

and the minute you throw in shirt, cummerband, the whole 9 shanks, its a 'mare.

nads or eyes. only options worth considering. anything else is pkayground.
  • MattFalle
    rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

1) The Academy have condemned Smith and launched a "formal review" but have not condemned Rock for his "joke" about someone with alopecia.

Thems the rules.

Do you think it right that they have condemned Smith and launched a formal review for the slap but not Rock for the "joke"?

You want comics to be able to make bad taste jokes don't you? Else we really are in cancel culture territory.

I prefer comedy that "punches up" (or at least sideways) but if your definition of funny bad taste includes taking the p!ss out of people with unpleasant medical conditions then crack on. If she'd have shaved her head for reasons of fashion or vanity then she'd be fair game and the joke could be deemed funny but it wasn't and he knew it wasn't.

If I had the choice to make, I reckon in the grand scheme of things I'd rather be remembered as the bloke who slapped someone for taking the p!ss out of his medically compromised wife than be remembered as the bloke who made such a remark.

this

Limits to comedy - everyone has different ones and it seems like this one was reached. Rock didn't read his audience tbh.
    I seem to remember a few lining up to defend Carr's jokes about murdering gipsies. Being offended is fine. As a comedian you should be able to misjudge a joke and just get the odd heckle, though.
    tbh, thatshit is indefensible and part of the reason carr would instantly get a kick in the nads.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

#comedypain

Please.
    It’s the Luuvies. There are enough tears in their eyes as it is.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rjsterry
    MattFalle said:

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

Thems the rules.

this

tbh, thatshit is indefensible and part of the reason carr would instantly get a kick in the nads.
    The thing is: his entire act is playing the audience into laughing at things they think they shouldn't laugh at. The worst reaction from his point of view is to be ignored.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• MattFalle
    i must admit, i'm not a violent man or generally resort to violence and don't really agree with violence but i'd quite happily punch him in his fat stupid face.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515

Agree he shouldn't have done it. That said if you're going to get physical, do it properly and deck the bloke. I mean slapping him? You can almost hear him say 'ooh you b1tch!' as he did it. Mind you, it is Hollywood.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    Stevo_666 said:

Agree he shouldn't have done it. That said if you're going to get physical, do it properly and deck the bloke. I mean slapping him? You can almost hear him say 'ooh you b1tch!' as he did it. Mind you, it is Hollywood.
    then again, WS is 6'4 and a ridiculously fit bloke.

catch him right and its gonna hurt.

i ain't letting WS slap me. NFNATN yes, deffo, repeatedly, everywhere, but WS? #fuckthat
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Well, I'd never heard of either of them until yesterday, can't say I'm particularly sad about that.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    joe2019 said:

Well, I'd never heard of either of them until yesterday, can't say I'm particularly sad about that.

You have an encyclopedic knowledge of film quotes but had never heard of Will Smith?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Here’s Will making the same joke

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMLHsfVwB/
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    People hitting people is a natural human reaction to something we don’t like.

Generally most people don’t do it as we are supposedly civilised and this type of behaviour is not considered compatible with civilised society.

I’d argue insulting people is also not compatible with civilised society.

I’d also argue that being conscious of the fact you could get walloped for being obnoxious isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Personally, I know nothing about fighting so not defending any personal traits of my own.

However, my eldest son had quite a hard time as a kid with ADHD. Once he’d walloped a couple of his tormentors, his life improved greatly.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    joe2019 said:

You've never heard of Will Smith? I find that hard to believe unless you've been living under a (Chris) rock for the last 30 years.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Pross said:

joe2019 said:

You've never heard of Will Smith? I find that hard to believe unless you've been living under a (Chris) rock for the last 30 years.
    While at University, I worked in the cinema in town here for years on the ticket desk. We had Rocky IV showing, so this would have been early 1986 here, and a middle aged couple walked in.

Them: “What’s on?”
    Me: “Rocky IV’
    Them: “What’s it about?”
    Me (after short pause): “Its the fourth instalment in the Rocky series, with Sylvester Stallone.”
    Them: “Who’s he?”
    Me, now wondering what planet these people are from: “Rambo? Do you know those films?”
    Them: “No.”

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,602
    Interesting thread on Twitter about the slap being a well practised Scientology thing, used to assert authority without serious physical impact. Tom Cruise uses the method of intense confrontation to achieve the same result.
    Could be a thing.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    (Is this a good "celebrity" source??? I have no idea...)

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/03/28/will-smith-is-not-part-of-scientology-fans-draw-tenuous-links-amid-oscars-slap/

Was an a-hole move, but I'm not sure he's quite that much of an a-hole
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver