Will Smith at the Oscars

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,853
    Who gives a farq? It's one over paid ego slapping another over paid ego in Tinsel town.
    There has been reams of stories of sexual exploitation (and a major conviction). There has been pressure to nominate more people from ethnic backgrounds, even though I don't think Hollywood really wanted to so there is a stench of a contrived racial and sexual equality. You have to wrap that all up in PR and sell it because Hollywood rarely make really good films. Hollywood is only interested in making money.
    Will Smith is good PR and he can slap a few and get away with it.
    What this Rock bloke (whoever the farq he is) did was uncivilized and what Smith did was... uncivilized.
    From the antics by Trump and those antics in Washington, is uncivilized behaviour becoming an acceptable norm?
    Smith is revered by millions and should set a standard in behaviour because celebs have more influence than politicians.
    Why the Oscars have to dominate the news ordinarily, I just can't work out. For many years, it has favoured English speaking films and is a little like the World (Baseball) series and therefore, should carry little weight, media or merit.

There's a war in Ukraine.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,805

I’m pretty sure if I smacked an award presenter at my industry awards on stage for whatever reason I’d be sacked.

I’m honestly amazed anyone thinks Smith is in the right here.

He’s not in a pub.

Will Smith isn't an employee, so can't be sacked.
    Whether or not you'd be sacked would depend on the situation.
    Er no.

Maybe you work with some cowboys who go around hitting people, but not in the normal world.

People take the p!ss at work all the time. If you're the one getting angry over it then you're the one who will be told to leave.

It's never acceptable to start hitting people. Especially not *on stage at the oscars*
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

rjsterry said:

I am in favour of slapping Nigel Farage.

Why waste the effort?
    To see the look on his face? (Which, lets face it is still going to be more or less Admiral Akbar)

Or for the sport.

Or for no reason whatsoever.

“It’s a prat!”
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

Who gives a farq? It's one over paid ego slapping another over paid ego in Tinsel town.
    There has been reams of stories of sexual exploitation (and a major conviction). There has been pressure to nominate more people from ethnic backgrounds, even though I don't think Hollywood really wanted to so there is a stench of a contrived racial and sexual equality. You have to wrap that all up in PR and sell it because Hollywood rarely make really good films. Hollywood is only interested in making money.
    Will Smith is good PR and he can slap a few and get away with it.
    What this Rock bloke (whoever the farq he is) did was uncivilized and what Smith did was... uncivilized.
    From the antics by Trump and those antics in Washington, is uncivilized behaviour becoming an acceptable norm?
    Smith is revered by millions and should set a standard in behaviour because celebs have more influence than politicians.
    Why the Oscars have to dominate the news ordinarily, I just can't work out. For many years, it has favoured English speaking films and is a little like the World (Baseball) series and therefore, should carry little weight, media or merit.

There's a war in Ukraine.

Why don't you tell us what the threshold is for being relevant enough to be discussed because there is a war going on?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,214

I’m pretty sure if I smacked an award presenter at my industry awards on stage for whatever reason I’d be sacked.

He’s not in a pub.

Er no.

Maybe you work with some cowboys who go around hitting people, but not in the normal world.

People take the p!ss at work all the time. If you're the one getting angry over it then you're the one who will be told to leave.

It's never acceptable to start hitting people. Especially not *on stage at the oscars*
    A ridiculous second para, and you completely miss the point, but still.

When does 'taking the p!ss' become bullying?
    Friendly banter in a small work place is quite different from what Rock did, picking on a woman in extremely bad taste.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2022

He’s not in a pub.

Er no.

Friendly banter in a small work place is quite different from what Rock did, picking on a woman in extremely bad taste.
    It doesn't matter if it's bullying, it often is, the response isn't to go hit someone. Period.

If I went about hitting people every time I was bullied I'd throwing punches every other month.

He clearly needs to grow a thicker skin or go see some therapist.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,549
    Pross said:

pangolin said:

Pross said:

‘I‘ve fought all my life not to be a coward.' How Will Smith confessed that failing to step in when his father beat his mother was his 'violent trigger,' in revealing memoir written before he slapped Chris Rock for insulting Jada

I remember reading about this in the past and it explains his over-reaction to me, to stand up and protect his wife/memory of his Mother.
    Mmmmmsmells like an excuse after the fact.

Lad should take responsibility for losing his cool.

a) The quote posted says it was written in an earlier memoir (no idea if that's true or not).

b) He did, he apologised to the Academy and other nominees.
    Lol everyone except the person he slapped.
    Because he obviously felt he didn't owe him an apology.
    Oops

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60909487

Will Smith has apologised to Chris Rock after he slapped him at the Oscars, saying his behaviour was "unacceptable and inexcusable".

"I would like to publicly apologise to you, Chris," he said in a statement. "I was out of line and I was wrong."
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,576
    This highlights that jokes are funny until you become the butt of the joke. Everyone (one exception) was quite happy, including Will Smith, until he saw his wife's face.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    edited March 2022
    rjsterry said:

Lol keyboard warriors the lot of ya if you’re going around saying it’s ok to slap people who slag off the mrs

I find this so ironic coming from you.

A comedian stands up on a stage somewhere and makes jokes about a minority. This immediately causes offence among people easily offended and he or she is immediately targeted for cancellation.
    A comedian stands up on stage and targets an individual with a medical condition for ridicule, in front of millions and nobody can be bothered to censure the comedian, because there’s more virtue signalling to be gained from going after the offended for their response.

IMO the guilty party here is the academy for knowingly putting all the combustibles together.
    Eh? Think all have been clear that Rock was wrong. But Smith was more wrong. Two wrongs, in fact. If people who were, say, offended by Nigel Farage and slapped him because of some xenophobic nonsense he'd uttered they would also be more in the wrong.
    I probably would not have to look too far on this forum to all those posts that supported the individual throwing milkshakes at Farage a while ago.
  • Dorset_Boy
    So you seem to now condone bullying in the work place then Rick? After all, you said in your previous post:

Of course hitting someone isn't the ideal reaction, but what's your solution when the bully just doesn't stop?
    It is possible to recognise the action is wrong whilst understanding why that action has been taken.

Hopefully the result of this will be a change in attitude to these so called comedians hosting such events. and those hiring them will reconsider the way their events should be hosted.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    Yep, there's absolutely no way someone persuaded him to do that.

Anyway, the cynic in me is wondering when production of a new Will Smith / Chris Rock movie is going to be announced.
  • john80
    I think personally the difference between Gervais and Rock is that Gervais tends to go after the celebrities that are in the moment. So whilst Jada is also a celebrity he would probably have focused his attention on Will and not her as it is not a good look. If Rock had done this he would not be getting a slap.

For example Gervais was a lot more generic in his criticism of Holywood during #metoo etc.
  • john80

He’s not in a pub.

Er no.

It doesn't matter if it's bullying, it often is, the response isn't to go hit someone. Period.

If I went about hitting people every time I was bullied I'd throwing punches every other month.

Did you literally not support him in the original post.
  • Pross
    Would be interesting to have seen the reaction if Jada had got up and slapped him instead. I bet there would have been near zero condemnation.
  • rick_chasey

So you seem to now condone bullying in the work place then Rick? After all, you said in your previous post:

Of course hitting someone isn't the ideal reaction, but what's your solution when the bully just doesn't stop?
    It is possible to recognise the action is wrong whilst understanding why that action has been taken.

Hopefully the result of this will be a change in attitude to these so called comedians hosting such events. and those hiring them will reconsider the way their events should be hosted.

If you get angry you automatically lose. If someone's bullying you, the solution is never to get angry, let alone get violent. Never works. Even at school, if a kid was bullying you and you smacked him in the face, it's you who gets pulled up in front of the teacher.

Did you not learn that at school?

I'm not condoning bullying - it's the reaction to it that we're all talking about.

And often one man's joke is another man's bullying. Sometimes the best action is to not react - that would have been the best case in this instance.

You're not doing anyone a favour getting violent.

Maybe you don't have a temper, but I've been in Smith's situation a lot of times, (though half the size, so when I go around kicking off people are more than happy to get physical), and you *never* come out on top if you do. Smith hasn't. He's been embarrassed, and rightly so.

The only times I've come out well out of those situations is remaining calm.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Funnily enough, my nephew was getting bullied for a while at school. Having turned the other cheek for quite a while, one day he punched the bully in the face. The bullying stopped, and never restarted. Maybe he got in trouble with the teahcers, but it worked.

And unlike you, no, I don't have a 'temper', though as well all do, I get angry.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,575

He’s not in a pub.

Er no.

The host of the Oscars is specifically employed to tell 'edgy' and insulting jokes about the audience. You think they chose Rock just because he was available at a good price? It's like booking Jimmy Carr and then complaining about his jokes about murdering gipsies.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2022

Funnily enough, my nephew was getting bullied for a while at school. Having turned the other cheek for quite a while, one day he punched the bully in the face. The bullying stopped, and never restarted. Maybe he got in trouble with the teahcers, but it worked.

And unlike you, no, I don't have a 'temper', though as well all do, I get angry.

Then you probably haven't flown off the handle and felt what it's like.

I can assure you, you never feel like you've won. Smith certainly won't. It's highly embarrassing for him.

He hit someone on stage at the Oscars! No-one cares about his Oscar win!
  • john80

If you get angry you automatically lose. If someone's bullying you, the solution is never to get angry, let alone get violent. Never works. Even at school, if a kid was bullying you and you smacked him in the face, it's you who gets pulled up in front of the teacher.

I'm not condoning bullying - it's the reaction to it that we're all talking about.

And often one man's joke is another man's bullying. Sometimes the best action is to not react - that would have been the best case in this instance.

You're not doing anyone a favour getting violent.

Maybe you don't have a temper, but I've been in Smith's situation a lot of times, (though half the size, so when I go around kicking off people are more than happy to get physical), and you *never* come out on top if you do. Smith hasn't. He's been embarrassed, and rightly so.

The school analogy is nonsense. Kids that bully others in school are looking for the weakest target and one where the interaction is unlikely to result in any consequence to the bully. Therefore a successful strategy to prevent being bullied is to be the person that gives a consequence as that bully doesn't look so hard when he has a black eye. It is a bit like if you are getting chased by a bear it pays not to be the slowest in the group.

The key to the above is that in school you can get in a fight and dole out some punishment with little if any consequence. As you go into adult life i.e. above 16 then it becomes a police matter and this might start to impact you with loss of liberty but most likely the disapproval of society and loss of money or stature. These things matter to people that have something to lose hence why you see more assault charges in lower economic groups and those that are younger males that have less to lose from this course of action.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,913
    Let's be real here - he shouldn't have done it but it's not like he's actually thrown a right hander.

He’s not in a pub.

Er no.

I mean if it is actually bullying I'd certainly be keeping the option of fighting them open. It wouldn't be my first response.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I'm with rick.

It is not acceptable to walk on stage and hit the presenter at an awards ceremony, provoked or not.

If he's in front of you and you give him a slap at a bar for being a gobshyte, then fair enough (but not condonable) but to lack the self awareness to get out of your seat and walk on stage? Come on.
  • john80

I'm with rick.

It is not acceptable to walk on stage and hit the presenter at an awards ceremony, provoked or not.

If he's in front of you and you give him a slap at a bar for being a gobshyte, then fair enough (but not condonable) but to lack the self awareness to get out of your seat and walk on stage? Come on.

You obviously did not read Rick's original post. He is 100% behind Will Smith in case you missed it.
  • Pross
    rjsterry said:

He’s not in a pub.

Er no.

The host of the Oscars is specifically employed to tell 'edgy' and insulting jokes about the audience. You think they chose Rock just because he was available at a good price? It's like booking Jimmy Carr and then complaining about his jokes about murdering gipsies.
    I think that's fair enough but in my opinion it crosses the line if you start targetting the guests of the nominees rather than the nominees themselves.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,535
    john80 said:

I'm with rick.

You obviously did not read Rick's original post. He is 100% behind Will Smith in case you missed it.
    So now he’s only 50% behind Rick or is it 0%? Or -100%? This is all very confusing.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,379
    john80 said:

I'm with rick.

Don't be silly.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

He’s not in a pub.

Er no.

I think that's fair enough but in my opinion it crosses the line if you start targetting the guests of the nominees rather than the nominees themselves.
    Also the hosts take the piss out of the guests for being sycophantic hypocrites. Taking the piss out of someone for a medical condition that she has already said makes her feel awful seems a bit unnecessary.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,392
    edited March 2022

For how long were you bullied at school, Rick?
    I ask because when you have several years ahead of you, facing the prospect of being bullied every day, remaining calm requires an iron resolve that few of us possess.

Kids aren't as complex as adults. They will quickly adopt a herd mentality.
    In my experience, one bully will almost certainly turn into multiple bullies, if the victim appears either defenseless, or reluctant to respond.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,727

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

He’s not in a pub.

Er no.

Also the hosts take the piss out of the guests for being sycophantic hypocrites. Taking the piss out of someone for a medical condition that she has already said makes her feel awful seems a bit unnecessary.
    Yeah, it's the difference between punching up and punching down. Gervais for the most part gets it right in his Golden Globes stuff.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,610
    In a post literally about funny stupid takes, yes...

Did Pangolin do this one yet?

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMLH5XbnE/

Blazing - this is a joke, ok?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    john80 said:

I'm with rick.

Not sure how you take that from "Smith is a big lad. Was a weird slap" unless I missed some other post.