Will Smith at the Oscars

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579

I am in favour of slapping Nigel Farage.

Into orbit.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638

Why waste the effort? He's already outed himself as a Putin fanboi has no career to speak of and is reduced to recording birthday messages for even more die hard losers.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    rjsterry said:

Lol keyboard warriors the lot of ya if you’re going around saying it’s ok to slap people who slag off the mrs

I find this so ironic coming from you.

A comedian stands up on a stage somewhere and makes jokes about a minority. This immediately causes offence among people easily offended and he or she is immediately targeted for cancellation.
    A comedian stands up on stage and targets an individual with a medical condition for ridicule, in front of millions and nobody can be bothered to censure the comedian, because there’s more virtue signalling to be gained from going after the offended for their response.

IMO the guilty party here is the academy for knowingly putting all the combustibles together.
    Eh? Think all have been clear that Rock was wrong. But Smith was more wrong. Two wrongs, in fact. If people who were, say, offended by Nigel Farage and slapped him because of some xenophobic nonsense he'd uttered they would also be more in the wrong.
    Well, lets just say that some of us have been more transparent about Rock being wrong and leave it at that.
    As for Smith: having not been subject to open public humiliation and embarrassment myself, I am not sure how I would react; I am just not qualified.
    So, I admire those on here who know they have self restraint to adopt the Christian doctrine of turning the other cheek.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612

rjsterry said:

Lol keyboard warriors the lot of ya if you’re going around saying it’s ok to slap people who slag off the mrs

A comedian stands up on a stage somewhere and makes jokes about a minority. This immediately causes offence among people easily offended and he or she is immediately targeted for cancellation.
    A comedian stands up on stage and targets an individual with a medical condition for ridicule, in front of millions and nobody can be bothered to censure the comedian, because there’s more virtue signalling to be gained from going after the offended for their response.

IMO the guilty party here is the academy for knowingly putting all the combustibles together.
    Eh? Think all have been clear that Rock was wrong. But Smith was more wrong. Two wrongs, in fact. If people who were, say, offended by Nigel Farage and slapped him because of some xenophobic nonsense he'd uttered they would also be more in the wrong.
    Well, lets just say that some of us have been more transparent about Rock being wrong and leave it at that.
    As for Smith: having not been subject to open public humiliation and embarrassment myself, I am not sure how I would react; I am just not qualified.
    So, I admire those on here who know they have self restraint to adopt the Christian doctrine of turning the other cheek.

It’s a joke. Lighten up
  • blazing_saddles
    rjsterry said:

ddraver said:

If it was anyone other than an A* list actor he'd be in jail.

If the academy hadn't been about to give him a prize he'd have been thrown out.

Get real.
    If the locked up everybody for that level of aggression half the population would be in jail.

Besides if he wasn’t an A list actor we wouldn’t have heard about it.
    Half the population do not go around slapping people.
    Not all at the same time, no.
    I think you need to think outside the middle class box here.
    In many areas of the country, getting slapped would be a tick in the win column.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490

‘I‘ve fought all my life not to be a coward.' How Will Smith confessed that failing to step in when his father beat his mother was his 'violent trigger,' in revealing memoir written before he slapped Chris Rock for insulting Jada

I remember reading about this in the past and it explains his over-reaction to me, to stand up and protect his wife/memory of his Mother.
    Mmmmmsmells like an excuse after the fact.

Lad should take responsibility for losing his cool.

a) The quote posted says it was written in an earlier memoir (no idea if that's true or not).

b) He did, he apologised to the Academy and other nominees.
  • blazing_saddles

rjsterry said:

It’s a joke. Lighten up
    That must be why I laugh at most of what you post, Rick.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Pross said:

‘I‘ve fought all my life not to be a coward.' How Will Smith confessed that failing to step in when his father beat his mother was his 'violent trigger,' in revealing memoir written before he slapped Chris Rock for insulting Jada

I remember reading about this in the past and it explains his over-reaction to me, to stand up and protect his wife/memory of his Mother.

a) The quote posted says it was written in an earlier memoir (no idea if that's true or not).

Lol everyone except the person he slapped.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross

rjsterry said:

It’s a joke. Lighten up
    If it had been a white comedian making a joke about her skin colour would you have said "it's a joke"? You're very selective about the issues you get wound up about, I guess we can put health conditions in the fair game column alongside age.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Why did he apologise if he was right?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

Who said he was right? I think his actions were understandable that's not the same as being right. As BS said none of us know how we would have reacted, I've certainly seen people I wouldn't expect lash out when upset or embarrassed. However, he apologised because of the impact of his actions on the nominees and the Academy's big night not to Rock.
  • Pross
    pangolin said:

Pross said:

Lol everyone except the person he slapped.
    Because he obviously felt he didn't owe him an apology.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    edited March 2022
    Pross said:

ddraver said:

Who said he was right? I think his actions were understandable that's not the same as being right. As BS said none of us know how we would have reacted, I've certainly seen people I wouldn't expect lash out when upset or embarrassed. However, he apologised because of the impact of his actions on the nominees and the Academy's big night not to Rock.
    Well, you've spent the last 4 pages arguing that it's ok to hit someone if they make fun of someone's medical condition...

Apparently 50% of the country do it on the reg.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

It’s a joke. Lighten up
    If it had been a white comedian making a joke about her skin colour would you have said "it's a joke"? You're very selective about the issues you get wound up about, I guess we can put health conditions in the fair game column alongside age.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    ddraver said:
    She actually writes that her life was turned upside down. Flipped, you could say.
  • Pross
    My stance is more if you're going to be a gobshite and humiliate people you can't really complain if they take offence and give you a smack in the mouth. It doesn't make it right but I think it's an understandable reaction. I'm actually surprised how few people on here don't seem to think they might react in a similar way.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,911
    Part of me thinks it's a bit of a storm in a teacup, I mean it's a little slap.

Yea it's totally unacceptable and shocking to see at an awards ceremony. But then again... Meh
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

ddraver said:

Get real.
    If the locked up everybody for that level of aggression half the population would be in jail.

Half the population do not go around slapping people.
    Not all at the same time, no.
    I think you need to think outside the middle class box here.
    In many areas of the country, getting slapped would be a tick in the win column.
    I only live in an ex council house near Croydon so what would I know?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,327
    edited March 2022
    The best scene to come out of Hollywood for years.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    edited March 2022
    Pross said:

My stance is more if you're going to be a gobshite and humiliate people you can't really complain if they take offence and give you a smack in the mouth. It doesn't make it right but I think it's an understandable reaction. I'm actually surprised how few people on here don't seem to think they might react in a similar way.

It's a cycling forum. Nobody has the required upper body strength. :)

Also he's specifically employed to be a gobshite. If you absolutely must retaliate, a witty heckle would've done the job far better.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    pangolin said:

ddraver said:

Get real.

Do 50% of the people you know act like that?

Probably at some point in their adult life I'd have thought.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    I’m pretty sure if I smacked an award presenter at my industry awards on stage for whatever reason I’d be sacked.

I’m honestly amazed anyone thinks Smith is in the right here.

He’s not in a pub.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2022

Lol guys. It’s an award ceremony.

It’s basically work. You don’t slap the host.

Wtf

The 'host' doesn't get free rein to insult and throw out cruel, bullying and unfunny jibes without some comeback at them.
    Rock is lucky it was only a slap as many would have hit him properly. Sometimes you just need to use the 'anguage' the bully understands.

You will appreciate this more than most on here. ;)

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918

I’m pretty sure if I smacked an award presenter at my industry awards on stage for whatever reason I’d be sacked.

He’s not in a pub.

Will Smith isn't an employee, so can't be sacked.
    Whether or not you'd be sacked would depend on the situation.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2022
    ddraver said:
    Congratulations.
    You have managed to post a stealth tweet from an ex Fox news editor which seems to suggest that white privilege doesn't exist, but black privilege does. It flew completely under the radar.

As I said earlier, the same is true for Chris Rock. Two wrongs etc.

• rjsterry
    edited March 2022

He’s not in a pub.

Will Smith isn't an employee, so can't be sacked.
    Whether or not you'd be sacked would depend on the situation.
    Of course he is. Actors can be and are sacked mid way through jobs. They can also be dumped by the brands which pay them to market their stuff. Kevin Spacey is the first one that comes to mind.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Thank God Chris Rock didn’t insult Alec Baldwin.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited March 2022
    My take.

1. Wasn’t staged
    2. Smith laughed until he realised Jada wasn’t laughing
    3. Chris Rock can take a hit
    4. A quick internet search on the dynamics of Will/Jada tessellates nicely with “get my wife’s name outta your mouth” or whatever he said.

Smith has been a bit of a d1ck for a while now.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,624
    rjsterry said:

Why waste the effort?
    To see the look on his face? (Which, lets face it is still going to be more or less Admiral Akbar)

Or for the sport.

Or for no reason whatsoever.