Will Smith at the Oscars

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Am I allowed to slap people who make jokes about my lack of formerly luscious hair now?

Asking for a friend...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Lol keyboard warriors the lot of ya if you’re going around saying it’s ok to slap people who slag off the mrs
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    edited March 2022

Lol guys. It’s an award ceremony.

It’s basically work. You don’t slap the host.

Wtf

The 'host' doesn't get free rein to insult and throw out cruel, bullying and unfunny jibes without some comeback at them.
    Rock is lucky it was only a slap as many would have hit him properly. Sometimes you just need to use the 'anguage' the bully understands.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

ddraver said:
    Wouldn't matter though, he did it in front of millions of TV viewers so if the authorities wanted to they could prosecute him anyway. Do you think they have let it go if Smith had beaten Rock to a pulp and he said he didn't want to press charges? The fact they aren't bothering reflects the severity of what happened despite the moral outrage in some quarters of the media.
    Oh for crying out loud.

"He should not have slapped him" ≠ moral outrage. Pointing out that Smith reacted like a pub drunk who was more worried about his hurt pride than his wife is also not "moral outrage".

At most it is mild disapproval.
    I'm not talking about on here (hence 'some quarters of the media'). I woke up to the BBC asking a Government minister for his view on it, look at some of those Twitter comments and that article in The Independent talking about a punch. The other award winners and studios must be well pleased that their achievements have been overshadowed by such a fuss about nothing.
    Another reason why Smith should have just ignored the comment. Now he's the guy who slapped the host rather than the Best Actor.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    His acceptance speech rather suggests that he needed a metaphorical slap anyway...

In this time in my life, in this moment, I am overwhelmed by what God is calling on me to do and be in this world.

I’m being called on in my life to love people and to protect people and to be a river to my people.

It’s like I want to be a vessel for love

- @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    edited March 2022

Lol guys. It’s an award ceremony.

It’s basically work. You don’t slap the host.

Wtf

The 'host' doesn't get free rein to insult and throw out cruel, bullying and unfunny jibes without some comeback at them.
    Rock is lucky it was only a slap as many would have hit him properly. Sometimes you just need to use the 'anguage' the bully understands.
    Yes, they do. I mean that pretty much exactly has been the gig for the last few years. You get paid to wear some designer's outfit like a show pony; receive gifts from assorted luxury brands that want to photograph you with their stuff; have a lot of free booze and food; and in return a comedian will take the piss out of you on international telly for a couple of hours.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    You go around hitting people Dorset?
  • rjsterry
    ddraver said:

His acceptance speech rather suggests that he needed a metaphorical slap anyway...

In this time in my life, in this moment, I am overwhelmed by what God is calling on me to do and be in this world.

I’m being called on in my life to love people and to protect people and to be a river to my people.

It’s like I want to be a vessel for love

God is rolling his eyes right now.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Rock deserved it but WS shouldn't have done it.

Looked incredibly staged to me

• ddraver
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

ddraver said:
    Wouldn't matter though, he did it in front of millions of TV viewers so if the authorities wanted to they could prosecute him anyway. Do you think they have let it go if Smith had beaten Rock to a pulp and he said he didn't want to press charges? The fact they aren't bothering reflects the severity of what happened despite the moral outrage in some quarters of the media.
    Oh for crying out loud.

"He should not have slapped him" ≠ moral outrage. Pointing out that Smith reacted like a pub drunk who was more worried about his hurt pride than his wife is also not "moral outrage".

I'm not talking about on here (hence 'some quarters of the media'). I woke up to the BBC asking a Government minister for his view on it, look at some of those Twitter comments and that article in The Independent talking about a punch. The other award winners and studios must be well pleased that their achievements have been overshadowed by such a fuss about nothing.
    Another reason why Smith should have just ignored the comment. Now he's the guy who slapped the host rather than the Best Actor.
    And opened up an oil well of jokes that will follow him for ever...

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMLH5vvtN/
    - @ddraver
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

ddraver said:
    Oh for crying out loud.

Rather than annoyed that their achievements have been overshadowed by someone deciding to hit somebody? Sure.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    As someone who sees red far more than he should, the second you get angry you’ve already lost.

However bad what someone says to you is, once you go around hitting people you’re the baddun
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553

Rock deserved it but WS shouldn't have done it.

Looked incredibly staged to me

Agreed, it was very weird and there didn't seem to be much shock on Rock's face that you would get from a stinger like that.
  • ddraver
    And to show tiktok isn't all bad

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMLH5XbnE/
    - @ddraver
  • pangolin
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ddraver
    Oi! Upthread!! ;)
    - @ddraver
  • pangolin
    ddraver said:

Oi! Upthread!! ;)

Sorry! Missed it over all the old fellers shouting about how hard they'd have hit Chris Rock at the Oscars
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    pangolin said:

ddraver said:

Oi! Upthread!! ;)

Sorry! Missed it over all the old fellers shouting about how hard they'd have hit Chris Rock at the Oscars
    I thought they were all about being able to say what you want and everyone is too po faced about jokes nowadays
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812

Lol keyboard warriors the lot of ya if you’re going around saying it’s ok to slap people who slag off the mrs

I find this so ironic coming from you.

A comedian stands up on a stage somewhere and makes jokes about a minority. This immediately causes offence among people easily offended and he or she is immediately targeted for cancellation.
    A comedian stands up on stage and targets an individual with a medical condition for ridicule, in front of millions and nobody can be bothered to censure the comedian, because there’s more virtue signalling to be gained from going after the offended for their response.

IMO the guilty party here is the academy for knowingly putting all the combustibles together.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited March 2022
    ‘I‘ve fought all my life not to be a coward.' How Will Smith confessed that failing to step in when his father beat his mother was his 'violent trigger,' in revealing memoir written before he slapped Chris Rock for insulting Jada

I remember reading about this in the past and it explains his over-reaction to me, to stand up and protect his wife/memory of his Mother.
  • blazing_saddles
    ddraver said:

If it was anyone other than an A* list actor he'd be in jail.

If the academy hadn't been about to give him a prize he'd have been thrown out.

Get real.
    If the locked up everybody for that level of aggression half the population would be in jail.

Besides if he wasn’t an A list actor we wouldn’t have heard about it.
  • rick_chasey

A comedian stands up on a stage somewhere and makes jokes about a minority. This immediately causes offence among people easily offended and he or she is immediately targeted for cancellation.
    A comedian stands up on stage and targets an individual with a medical condition for ridicule, in front of millions and nobody can be bothered to censure the comedian, because there’s more virtue signalling to be gained from going after the offended for their response.

IMO the guilty party here is the academy for knowingly putting all the combustibles together.
    If your issue is with the joke and taking Rock to task for it, Smith slapping him in the face has really taken away from that.

It’s a bad joke. You don’t go hitting people, right?

You do get that, right?
  • rick_chasey

‘I‘ve fought all my life not to be a coward.' How Will Smith confessed that failing to step in when his father beat his mother was his 'violent trigger,' in revealing memoir written before he slapped Chris Rock for insulting Jada

I remember reading about this in the past and it explains his over-reaction to me, to stand up and protect his wife/memory of his Mother.
    Mmmmmsmells like an excuse after the fact.

Lad should take responsibility for losing his cool.

• pangolin

ddraver said:

Get real.
    If the locked up everybody for that level of aggression half the population would be in jail.

Do 50% of the people you know act like that?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • blazing_saddles

My sister who works in film and media PR says the huge shame is the deaf movie which won an Oscar is now forgotten in all this.

What's been forgotten is that it's actually another US remake.
    This one they pinched off the French: La famille Bélier (2014).

Still, at least with Coda, Apple got one over on Netflix. Theirs should have been called The Hair of the Dog, cos I felt like I was hungover watching it.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2022

If your issue is with the joke and taking Rock to task for it, Smith slapping him in the face has really taken away from that.

It’s a bad joke. You don’t go hitting people, right?

You do get that, right?
    No Rick, my point was why aren't you and those who have been preaching on here for months, that words can hurt as much, if not more so, than sticks and stones, have suddenly reevaluated this position.
  • rjsterry

Eh? Think all have been clear that Rock was wrong. But Smith was more wrong. Two wrongs, in fact. If people who were, say, offended by Nigel Farage and slapped him because of some xenophobic nonsense he'd uttered they would also be more in the wrong.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

ddraver said:

Get real.

Half the population do not go around slapping people.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    I am in favour of slapping Nigel Farage.