Will Smith at the Oscars

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,687

So you seem to now condone bullying in the work place then Rick? After all, you said in your previous post:
    People take the p!ss at work all the time. If you're the one getting angry over it then you're the one who will be told to leave.

Of course hitting someone isn't the ideal reaction, but what's your solution when the bully just doesn't stop?
    It is possible to recognise the action is wrong whilst understanding why that action has been taken.

Hopefully the result of this will be a change in attitude to these so called comedians hosting such events. and those hiring them will reconsider the way their events should be hosted.

Not retaliating physically is not equivalent to condoning something. And a single insult is not bullying. I think you are on a hiding to nothing if you think comedians are going to stop insulting people.

Jeez, and I thought I was the wet liberal.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Lol keyboard warriors the lot of ya if you’re going around saying it’s ok to slap people who slag off the mrs

I find this so ironic coming from you.

A comedian stands up on a stage somewhere and makes jokes about a minority. This immediately causes offence among people easily offended and he or she is immediately targeted for cancellation.
    A comedian stands up on stage and targets an individual with a medical condition for ridicule, in front of millions and nobody can be bothered to censure the comedian, because there’s more virtue signalling to be gained from going after the offended for their response.

IMO the guilty party here is the academy for knowingly putting all the combustibles together.
    Eh? Think all have been clear that Rock was wrong. But Smith was more wrong. Two wrongs, in fact. If people who were, say, offended by Nigel Farage and slapped him because of some xenophobic nonsense he'd uttered they would also be more in the wrong.
    I probably would not have to look too far on this forum to all those posts that supported the individual throwing milkshakes at Farage a while ago.
    are you saying that throwing milkshakes at farage, yaxley lennon, etc is/was a bad thing?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    edited March 2022
    I broke a kid’s nose who regularly beat me up out of school.

I did it in school - only because I was a straight A student and a massive teacher’s pet that I didn’t get suspended.

Not entirely sure how this is relevant.

It’s really simple. Don’t hit people on stage at the Oscars. Rock’s joke didn’t justify it even remotely.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,582

I broke a kid’s nose who regularly beat me up out of school.

I did it in school - only because I was a straight A student and a massive teacher’s pet that I didn’t get suspended.

Not entirely sure how this is relevant.

It’s really simple. Don’t hit people on stage at the Oscars. Rock’s joke didn’t justify it even remotely.

A valuable message for us to all remember. Unfortunately I wasn't nominated for my work on Dream Horse but I will make sure to take this on board when my talents are finally given the credit they deserve.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    If only there was an awards ceremony for the cutting room floor, eh?
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Pross said:

john80 said:

I'm with rick.

It is not acceptable to walk on stage and hit the presenter at an awards ceremony, provoked or not.

If he's in front of you and you give him a slap at a bar for being a gobshyte, then fair enough (but not condonable) but to lack the self awareness to get out of your seat and walk on stage? Come on.

You obviously did not read Rick's original post. He is 100% behind Will Smith in case you missed it.
    Not sure how you take that from "Smith is a big lad. Was a weird slap" unless I missed some other post.
    He started the thread for christ sake.
    MattFalle said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Lol keyboard warriors the lot of ya if you’re going around saying it’s ok to slap people who slag off the mrs

A comedian stands up on a stage somewhere and makes jokes about a minority. This immediately causes offence among people easily offended and he or she is immediately targeted for cancellation.
    A comedian stands up on stage and targets an individual with a medical condition for ridicule, in front of millions and nobody can be bothered to censure the comedian, because there’s more virtue signalling to be gained from going after the offended for their response.

IMO the guilty party here is the academy for knowingly putting all the combustibles together.
    Eh? Think all have been clear that Rock was wrong. But Smith was more wrong. Two wrongs, in fact. If people who were, say, offended by Nigel Farage and slapped him because of some xenophobic nonsense he'd uttered they would also be more in the wrong.
    I probably would not have to look too far on this forum to all those posts that supported the individual throwing milkshakes at Farage a while ago.
    are you saying that throwing milkshakes at farage, yaxley lennon, etc is/was a bad thing?
    What I am alluding to is the hypocrisy of those that think that attacking Farage was OK and viewing this positively but then think that this is unacceptable from Will Smith.
  • Pross
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    john80 said:

Pross said:

john80 said:

I'm with rick.

It is not acceptable to walk on stage and hit the presenter at an awards ceremony, provoked or not.

If he's in front of you and you give him a slap at a bar for being a gobshyte, then fair enough (but not condonable) but to lack the self awareness to get out of your seat and walk on stage? Come on.

You obviously did not read Rick's original post. He is 100% behind Will Smith in case you missed it.
    Not sure how you take that from "Smith is a big lad. Was a weird slap" unless I missed some other post.
    What are you implying here?
  • Pross
    john80 said:

Pross said:

john80 said:

I'm with rick.

MattFalle said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

What I am alluding to is the hypocrisy of those that think that attacking Farage was OK and viewing this positively but then think that this is unacceptable from Will Smith.
    I'm pretty sure Rick is not MattFalle, MF started the thread. Rick's first post on the subject was the comment about Will Smith being a big lad.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,388
    Two things I find disappointing in this whole episode:

1) The Academy have condemned Smith and launched a "formal review" but have not condemned Rock for his "joke" about someone with alopecia.
    2) Much as the "slap" was inappropriate and wrong, for someone who trained for the part and played Ali, I would have thought Smith would have properly slotted him.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • MattFalle
    Pross said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

john80 said:

I'm with rick.

MattFalle said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

I'm pretty sure Rick is not MattFalle, MF started the thread. Rick's first post on the subject was the comment about Will Smith being a big lad.
    This - thankyou Pross.

I am not Rick, Rick is not me and neither of us is Will Smith or Chris Rock.

Or are we?
  • MattFalle
    john80 said:

Pross said:

john80 said:

I'm with rick.

MattFalle said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Is there a difference though between slapping someone who has made repeated barbs at your wife's medical condition although he has been told not to and lobbing a milkshake over two racists, one who is a friend of Russia and a cheating, lying adulterer, the other who has mutiple criminal convictions for violence, lying, and stealing money?

After all, milkshakes aren't slaps.
  • rick_chasey
    TBH being confused with MF *is* worthy of a slap ;)
  • rick_chasey

1) The Academy have condemned Smith and launched a "formal review" but have not condemned Rock for his "joke" about someone with alopecia.

Get angry, lose the argument, regardless.

Thems the rules.
  • Pross

Thems the rules.
    I still think there is more chance that Smith will be in attendance next year than Rock and that once this fuss has died down there will be an announcement that the Academy has decided to have a change of style for next year that involves a different hosting style.
  • MattFalle

TBH being confused with MF *is* worthy of a slap ;)

slap? pain? ooohhh yes please.
  • MattFalle

Thems the rules.
    Rock is slso pretty happy with the publicity tbh - deffo got him booked on Conan or similar.
  • laurentian

Thems the rules.
    My comment has nothing to do with anyone getting angry.

Do you think it right that they have condemned Smith and launched a formal review for the slap but not Rock for the "joke"?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,687
    MattFalle said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

john80 said:

I'm with rick.

MattFalle said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Is there a difference though between slapping someone who has made repeated barbs at your wife's medical condition although he has been told not to and lobbing a milkshake over two racists, one who is a friend of Russia and a cheating, lying adulterer, the other who has mutiple criminal convictions for violence, lying, and stealing money?

After all, milkshakes aren't slaps.
    It's a bit of a thing on here and other social media. "Aha! You commented that X was funny three years ago therefore you MUST be in favour of this other utterly unconnected bad thing and are therefore a TERRIBLE PERSON."

It's such rubbish.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey

Thems the rules.

Do you think it right that they have condemned Smith and launched a formal review for the slap but not Rock for the "joke"?
    Yeah. One is not equal to the other.

You want comics to be able to make bad taste jokes don't you? Else we really are in cancel culture territory.
  • laurentian

Thems the rules.

You want comics to be able to make bad taste jokes don't you? Else we really are in cancel culture territory.
    Depends what you call "bad taste" really.

I prefer comedy that "punches up" (or at least sideways) but if your definition of funny bad taste includes taking the p!ss out of people with unpleasant medical conditions then crack on. If she'd have shaved her head for reasons of fashion or vanity then she'd be fair game and the joke could be deemed funny but it wasn't and he knew it wasn't.

If I had the choice to make, I reckon in the grand scheme of things I'd rather be remembered as the bloke who slapped someone for taking the p!ss out of his medically compromised wife than be remembered as the bloke who made such a remark.

Hopefully I won't have to make that choice and be remembered as either.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • MattFalle

Thems the rules.

Depends what you call "bad taste" really.

I prefer comedy that "punches up" (or at least sideways) but if your definition of funny bad taste includes taking the p!ss out of people with unpleasant medical conditions then crack on. If she'd have shaved her head for reasons of fashion or vanity then she'd be fair game and the joke could be deemed funny but it wasn't and he knew it wasn't.

If I had the choice to make, I reckon in the grand scheme of things I'd rather be remembered as the bloke who slapped someone for taking the p!ss out of his medically compromised wife than be remembered as the bloke who made such a remark.

Hopefully I won't have to make that choice and be remembered as either.
    this

Jimmy Carr style "comedy"? Yeah, I'd smack him one, very, very happily.

Russell Howard really nice funny pisstaking? Can watch it all day.

Limits to comedy - everyone has different ones and it seems like this one was reached. Rock didn't read his audience tbh.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,792

2) Much as the "slap" was inappropriate and wrong, for someone who trained for the part and played Ali, I would have thought Smith would have properly slotted him.

This is my thinking. If Smith had well and truly lost the plot then it would have been a punch, not a girly slap. A slap is a put down, not what you do when angry.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

This is my thinking. If Smith had well and truly lost the plot then it would have been a punch, not a girly slap. A slap is a put down, not what you do when angry.
    theres one simple reason for this.

you ever tried fighting in a dinner jacket? not a chance. far too tight, no way to get arm back enough to punch through.

its like fighting in a straight jacket.

it was so much casual violence on the night, more formal violence.
  • MattFalle
    i think WS was also more out to prove a point rather than doof CR up proper.
  • rick_chasey
    The weird thing is he laughs at the joke till his missus looks unimpressed.

The backstory is he’s apparently embarrassed before the event as it’s come out they’ve recently become an open relationship but only his mrs is sleeping with people outside the marriage.

Which all makes it rather more tragic.

I suspect he needs to see his therapist(s) more, and slap people less.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    ^ that's old news.

The chat is they have an open relationship as allegedly it's a marriage of convenience as they're both gay.
  • MattFalle
    fuck-that sound is John expliding.
  • rick_chasey

^ that's old news.

The chat is they have an open relationship as allegedly it's a marriage of convenience as they're both gay.

Either way it would point to a possible performative aspect to it
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    edited March 2022
    It's not even a particularly harsh joke. Or a good joke tbh.

Amy Shumer's joke that DiCaprio had "done so much to fight climate change and leave behind a cleaner, greener planet for his girlfriends" was nasty but funny.