Tour of Britain "it doesn't come past my house" thread

Comments

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193
    andyp said:

Another impressive showing from James Shaw, mixing it with the best riders in the race again. I hope he gets a contract with a Pro Conti or WT team for next season, he definitely deserves it.

He is back in WT next year, can't remember which team though
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    r0bh said:

andyp said:

Another impressive showing from James Shaw, mixing it with the best riders in the race again. I hope he gets a contract with a Pro Conti or WT team for next season, he definitely deserves it.

He is back in WT next year, can't remember which team though
    I heard he had a team lined up, but I don't think it's been confirmed yet, nor have I heard which team.
  • It literally came past my house this morning... There goes my Strava Segment "Fastest of the Year" time... Ridiculous how fast these Pro's can ride, they are not human!
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550

Cairn o Mount for tomorrow.

You won't miss us. You'll be able to hear the tunes from the bottom of the hill.

#excited
  • We have decent group leaving Montrose around 0800, 3 1/2 hours before race is due to come through, Hopefully its early enough to get a good spot at 'the sh!t bit' (the segment name through the S bend near the summit)!
    With nothing like this happening up here before, no one knows how busy its going to be, anything from TDF Yorkshire crowds to a damp squib. Kind of hoping for the latter as we'd then maybe get a decent ride in first!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    alan_a said:

You won't miss us. You'll be able to hear the tunes from the bottom of the hill.

#excited

Will be motoring over today, doing a bit of logistics research to work out if I can e.g. catch the intermediate sprint at Finzean (bonus marks available for correct pronunciation) plus get back in time for the finish at the Beach.

I'll see if I can nick one of your bikes flags 😉
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    edited September 2021
    orraloon said:

alan_a said:

#excited

Will be motoring over today, doing a bit of logistics research to work out if I can e.g. catch the intermediate sprint at Finzean (bonus marks available for correct pronunciation) plus get back in time for the finish at the Beach.

Fingin

Edit - If you want to do the Cairn it wouldnt be possible to make Finzean for the sprint. The AA box to Feughside road is the only way you could go, and you wouldnt be able to get along it until the stragglers are past, by which time the chance of beating the leaders to Feughside (on the race route prior to Finzean) would be pretty much nil
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • What about Strachan, its even better!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • orraloon

orraloon said:

alan_a said:

#excited

Fingin
    Ah, you've given away the plot. More chance of Ned B getting it right than say wittermouth Kirby would.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550

What about Strachan, its even better!

Strowan
  • alan_a said:

What about Strachan, its even better!

Strowan
    Close, more or less pronounced as Strawn. That's Aberdeenshire for you! One of the best is Aberchirder, pronounced Foggie Loan 🤣. Hellish if not local!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • orraloon
    edited September 2021
    Ma mither wiz fae Foggie, min.

I thought it was Stra'an, i.e. miss out the bit in the middle. Mind you, I left Deeside at age 2, what do I know?
  • I do hope you're laying some traps for any commentators reading these threads (and I'm pretty sure there's a few that do). Something somewhere pronounced Fil Ma Crack En would work... 😉

I've even noticed that some recent themes on this forum have popped up on Danish comms.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    edited September 2021
    orraloon said:

Ma mither wiz fae Foggie, min.

I thought it was Stra'an, i.e. miss out the bit in the middle. Mind you, I left Deeside at age 2, what do I know?

You're not wrong. Thought Strawn would be easier in type!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    They couldn't pronounce Killhope correctly, so good luck with Scottish place names!
  • flite said:

They couldn't pronounce Killhope correctly, so good luck with Scottish place names!

Or Alston…
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Ineos may have ballsed this up today. That's a big gap they have to close to Jorgensen if no other teams help them and still creeping up even now they're riding quite hard. Porte isn't really designed to be a bunch engine.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Pross said:

Ineos may have ballsed this up today. That's a big gap they have to close to Jorgensen if no other teams help them and still creeping up even now they're riding quite hard. Porte isn't really designed to be a bunch engine.

Exposed to a jumbo counter too if they ride hard to reduce the gap
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross

Pross said:

Exposed to a jumbo counter too if they ride hard to reduce the gap
    Yep, it's a tricky situation with Jorgensen in the break. Would have been a good move for them without him. Now they have to pull back a few minutes on their own, watch for a counter but also make sure they don't pull it back enough to bring the stage and bonus seconds back into play.

Doing a decent job now though, pulled 90" back. Not easy roads to chase on though, especially with a small team and with there being a tailwind section to come (if they aren't already on it). Should make for another decent stage.
  • Pross
    That said I'm struggling to enjoy the race in the knowledge that bad things are happening to donkeys (and that Eamon Holmes' knee is playing up - he should consider losing some weight and taking the stress off it).
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Cycling would help him quite a lot...

Maybe we're coming at this from the wrong direction..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • orraloon
    orraloon said:

alan_a said:

#excited

Flags and bikes still there at midday. It was p-ing it down.

• Pross
    Not an area I've ever visited but looks a lovely part of the world for cycling. Feels a bit like mid Wales where there are some superb roads virtually devoid of traffic.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Not an area I've ever visited but looks a lovely part of the world for cycling. Feels a bit like mid Wales where there are some superb roads virtually devoid of traffic.

Forgotten part of the country
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Gap up and down, had gone below 7 minutes now back at 8 but Ineos seem comfortable compared to earlier.

Spectator takes a tumble trying to run alongside the break.
  • Pross
    Kwiato pulls it back to 5 minutes so they can just hold it there and leave it to others if they want it back for the stage. Good riding.
  • Pross
    Nice to see the Red Cross breaking the advertising mould and instead of asking for "just £3 per month" going for "leave us shitloads when you die". Segues nicely between the charity and death theme of ITV4 and breaks too.
  • Pross
    Couple of Alpecin riders hoping for an Ineos contract.
  • mididoctors
    Break starts attacking itself ...seems baked in for the win
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Couple of Alpecin riders hoping for an Ineos contract.

Or let a break with them in get up the road tomorrow