Tour of Britain "it doesn't come past my house" thread

Comments

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550

Alan’s camper van corner is blasting the music.

Was good meeting Alan (briefly) today. Wouldn't want to be his neighbour though! 🀣
    What?

You don't like Belgian Euro Techno or Links Recht πŸ˜‚

That was so much fun this morning. Crowds on th Vairn were awesome... Bit Reserved to start but totally did Scotland proud foe fiest proper TOB mountain up here
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Pross said:

I was watching wva doing nothing much about 10 riders back all the way until the last 500 metres or so when all of a sudden he was 3rd wheel, and clearly the strongest. Absolutely brilliant sprint with no team.

to have a rider who can win bunch sprints against two greats, albeit probably past their best, having already won the finish up Great Orme against one of the best in those finishes is incredible.

I was thinking this while waiting for the race in Bodmin. Isn't it amazing to be able to think,
    "This Finish is too steep for Cav, it'll be Alaphilippe!"
    "Ah, but what about Van Aert?!"

but also,

"This Finish is too shallow for Alaphilippe, it'll be Cav!"
    "Ah, but what about Van Aert?!"

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ignoring the ttt, he won every other stage. Wouldn't want to be greedy.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553

Ignoring the ttt, he won every other stage. Wouldn't want to be greedy.

He didn't win stages 2 or 5 did he? Certainly not 2 that was won by the solo break and I thought Hayter won a stage too.
  • Pross
    edited September 2021
    Just checked, Hayter won Stage 5 (Doull crash near finish). He also won the sprint for second behind the line break on Stage 2.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    I was at 250 to go on the (sea/left) side they took, xxxx they are fast. But I could see WvA was looking relaxed, and the replays show him switching on the burners. Those around me couldn't see who had won, but talking with others I reckoned WvA would get it.

Lots of locals out to watch. I caught the race at Strachan at the sharp left after they came down from Cairn O' Mount: families, cowbells and lots of cyclists. Guy next to me had the live feed on his phone which he shared.

Then rode the last 15km or so of the course down to the finish I thought a good 40 mins before they were due; already lots of people out waiting, and I even got several cheers as I passed 😊 Did start to wonder if the blue light motorbikes would catch me up - they failed.

Enjoyed the day.
  • Pross said:

He didn't win stages 2 or 5 did he? Certainly not 2 that was won by the solo break and I thought Hayter won a stage too.
    I meant every other as in won one, lost one, won one lost one. Terrible wording on my part.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    RichN95. said:

Jumbo Visma must have boxes full of kids jersies in various sizes with them. WVA gave Cav's son a small Belgian champs jersey

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross

Pross said:

I meant every other as in won one, lost one, won one lost one. Terrible wording on my part.
    Ah, that makes sense. He's the new EBH.
  • alan_a said:

Alan’s camper van corner is blasting the music.

Was good meeting Alan (briefly) today. Wouldn't want to be his neighbour though! 🀣
    What?

You don't like Belgian Euro Techno or Links Recht πŸ˜‚

That was so much fun this morning. Crowds on th Vairn were awesome... Bit Reserved to start but totally did Scotland proud foe fiest proper TOB mountain up here
    I preferred 'Thunderstruck', a true rock classic! You did well Alan, fair kept us all going in the freezing cold!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Watching that video again of the kid riding alongside the race, you have to say it was a class bit of commentary from Ned and Adam.
  • Was expecting Ineos to be more proactive there rather than leaving it to a straight sprint. DQS so strong, Jumbo must have been relieved.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    As an aside, I was impressed seeing the degree to which Pippa Y interacted with people. The presenters had a stall set up on the public side of the finish. Saw her positively engaging with and encouraging people wanting selfies and the like.

Moved up in my points league.
  • Pross
    mrb123 said:

Watching that video again of the kid riding alongside the race, you have to say it was a class bit of commentary from Ned and Adam.

Ned is so much better with Blythe than Millar. Actually, CK is better with Blythe than anyone else.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Well, that was an exciting end.
    On a knife edge, and yet entirely predictable at the same time.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Other than the fact it didn't pass through Milton Keynes or go up the mighty Box Hill (which someone on here was whinging about) what did people think of the course?

Thought it was great to see some of the far flung parts of the island. Instead of Box Hill and the Mall, for once...
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Well, I really enjoyed the ToB, always fun to watch pros on roads I know and hills I have to ride up all year round.
    I thought Ned and Adam were good - they seem to like working together and have a similar sense of humour, and are quick to correct each others misidentifications. Matt obviously enjoys riding his bike, and gets the best out of folks he is interviewing.
  • Aberdeen kicks things off for next year's race.
  • alan_a
    "Everybody's having a party on the moor" :D

They couldn't have picked a more a lyric to drive by to

Love Peat and Diesel.

• Great race and great finish at the end. Excellent race to watch live as well. I was impressed with the crowds and atmosphere.
    Camera work was poor and I thought the Ch4 commentators were pretty dull, was even missing Carlton!
  • alan_a
    edited September 2021
    Great wee video of the party atmosphere on KOM1 Cairn o Mount yesterday.

All the riders were smiling or giggling.

Kudos to Jake Scott for his deft elbow and head twitches to get us to move over.

#HWFG

• pblakeney
    Liked the policeman on the motorbike nodding away.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • God that looks like hell. I'd rather listen to the England foodball band or the barmy army.

Okay I wouldn't but it's a close run thing.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    edited September 2021
    Shouldn't really need a rider to tell you to get the fuck out of the road.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I love it, that's brilliant.

I once did 7 reps on that side of COM so I know it relatively well... Horrible memories :smiley:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited September 2021

Other than the fact it didn't pass through Milton Keynes or go up the mighty Box Hill (which someone on here was whinging about) what did people think of the course?

Thought it was great to see some of the far flung parts of the island. Instead of Box Hill and the Mall, for once...

To be fair Box Hill is Britain's answer to Alpe d'Huez, or so I've heard.

Who was moaning about that? I hope they were informed of the error of their ways.
  • alan_a

God that looks like hell. I'd rather listen to the England foodball band or the barmy army.

Okay I wouldn't but it's a close run thing.

Aye... England Fitba band & Barmy Army would go down well in Scotland πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

#HWFG
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2021

Other than the fact it didn't pass through Milton Keynes or go up the mighty Box Hill (which someone on here was whinging about) what did people think of the course?

Who was moaning about that? I hope they were informed of the error of their ways.
    This guy. If it doesn't go to the SE then it is not Britain. πŸ€ͺ

Pross said:

It's more a tour of Wales & Scotland tbh. Doesn't even come close to a tour of Britain in my eyes.

It's like the NFL calling the Superbowl winners 'World Champions', when it's the only country that plays in the tournament.

Have you actually looked at the route? Four out of eight stages are in England with two a piece in Wales and Scotland. It covers more of the UK than most versions and the race only ever goes where Councils are prepared to pay for the privilege.

But hey, why worry about facts.
    Yes I've seen the route. Doesn't come East though does it. Hence the reason why I said its more a tour of Wales and Scotland.

Have a look at the map and draw a line down the middle of the UK. You'll see what I mean.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • alan_a
    pblakeney said:

This guy. If it doesn't go to the SE then it is not Britain. πŸ€ͺ

Pross said:

It's more a tour of Wales & Scotland tbh. Doesn't even come close to a tour of Britain in my eyes.

It's like the NFL calling the Superbowl winners 'World Champions', when it's the only country that plays in the tournament.

Have you actually looked at the route? Four out of eight stages are in England with two a piece in Wales and Scotland. It covers more of the UK than most versions and the race only ever goes where Councils are prepared to pay for the privilege.

But hey, why worry about facts.
    Yes I've seen the route. Doesn't come East though does it. Hence the reason why I said its more a tour of Wales and Scotland.

Have a look at the map and draw a line down the middle of the UK. You'll see what I mean.
    Someone wrote about his comments on Cairn O Mount

• I watched most of the final stage live on ITV4 yesterday. Have to say I thought the crowd turnout was excellent. I was a bit worried that very few would turn out in the wilderness, but it was full of people. I even seen some crazy flags on top of one of the climbs ;-)