Tour of Britain "it doesn't come past my house" thread

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Pross said:

andyp said:

Pross said:

For all the talk of Gibson's sprint he ends up third. Lampert takes it from Jorgensen. Ballerini 4th 40" down. Slightly naive by Gibson at the end but very good ride in that company

Given in the last 10 kms he'd bridged across to the front two on his own, and had a couple of digs to get away, it was no surprise he didn't have much left at the end. He's more of a bunch sprinter too, no? There's a lot of difference between that and sprinting in a small group.
    Sure, he did a great ride. I think his mistake, if you can call it that, was allowing Lampert to bully him into working on the front when Ballerini wasn't looking like he was going to come across and Gibson could have played the 'you just forced me to close the gap' card.
    I think he was probably too generous with his efforts for sure, but we don't know how much he had left and maybe he'd calculated that third was better than fifth so he ensured they stayed away. Impressive ride though, especially in that company. He was the only non-WT rider to stay away.
  • Any folk heading to CoM by car - the estate at Glensaugh has a field open for parking. It’s just before the Brigg junction. Come via Auchenblae. £2 a car and it’s for the local Scouts.
  • And it’s a block headwind all the way to the top. Brutal.
  • Was struck by the emphasis in commentary on the wind yesterday. It was a completely normal day here.
  • Easily 20mph at the crest. Probably more. The barrier man’s looking concerned.
  • Easily 20mph at the crest. Probably more. The barrier man’s looking concerned.

Tornado in London. Light breeze in Scotland.
  • Descended the north side of the Cairn earlier this week on what I’d class as a very still day in Banchory. Reminded me of two things - the cairn can be really blowy when you think it’s a still day, and I’m worse than mediocre at descending in anything other than a perfectly still day. I’m a little worried about the speed of the peloton today descending into Glen Dye and that small bridge. Can’t wait to see today’s race!
  • Alan’s camper van corner is blasting the music.
  • A very disappointing start to the stage with a low end breakaway up the road.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    JV leaned in on yesterday...

They do just "get" cycling in the Benelux
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Brilliant, that's how sport should be
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Jumbo Visma must have boxes full of kids jersies in various sizes with them. WVA gave Cav's son a small Belgian champs jersey
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    just back in ,,,, good crowds
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

Jumbo Visma must have boxes full of kids jersies in various sizes with them. WVA gave Cav's son a small Belgian champs jersey

should be a default setting for all teams... so much positive pr wise and uncynical promotion of the sport

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95. said:

should be a default setting for all teams... so much positive pr wise and uncynical promotion of the sport

This, very much this :)
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

Jersies are expensive though. That's an expense that's going to mount up over the course of a season. Better to do something cheaper like casquettes
  • ddraver
    RichN95. said:

Cynical trade envoy-ing from the Dutch... ;)
    - @ddraver
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Alright Scrooge.
  • ddraver
    😋
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

JV leaned in on yesterday...

They do just "get" cycling in the Benelux
    He probably ought to change his Instagram name to Xan.Aert now
  • mididoctors
    It's fast
  • mididoctors
    That was class from WvA
  • WVA wins and Hayter nowhere
    The two old boys fill out the podium
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    Pretty awesome ..
  • mididoctors
    Hayter looking fatigued on the run in. Letting wheels go repeatedly
  • Alan’s camper van corner is blasting the music.

Was good meeting Alan (briefly) today. Wouldn't want to be his neighbour though! 🤣
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • Pross
    That's a great finish for the organisers, World Champion leading out the sprint with a podium consisting of two of the greatest sprinters of all time plus a rider who seems certain to be one of the modern greats. Final GC determined on the line - gutting for Hayter but WVA was the stronger rider by quite a bit. I thought that was a really good race albeit let down by some poor TV work at times.
  • RichN95.
    Pross said:

That's a great finish for the organisers, World Champion leading out the sprint with a podium consisting of two of the greatest sprinters of all time plus a rider who seems certain to be one of the modern greats. Final GC determined on the line - gutting for Hayter but WVA was the stronger rider by quite a bit. I thought that was a really good race albeit let down by some poor TV work at times.

And A list winners for the past three years now
  • I was watching wva doing nothing much about 10 riders back all the way until the last 500 metres or so when all of a sudden he was 3rd wheel, and clearly the strongest. Absolutely brilliant sprint with no team.
  • Pross

I was watching wva doing nothing much about 10 riders back all the way until the last 500 metres or so when all of a sudden he was 3rd wheel, and clearly the strongest. Absolutely brilliant sprint with no team.

Greipel did him a bit of a favour moving left which opened things up for him but to have a rider who can win bunch sprints against two greats, albeit probably past their best, having already won the finish up Great Orme against one of the best in those finishes is incredible.