How much before a material improvement - wheels..

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Quick one, if you get carbon rims such as https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-rr-50-v3-carbon-clincher-wheelset (though I have just noticed they are out of stock...doh), which brake pads would you guys recommend to go with it?

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    edited August 2021

Quick one, if you get carbon rims such as https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-rr-50-v3-carbon-clincher-wheelset (though I have just noticed they are out of stock...doh), which brake pads would you guys recommend to go with it?

The Wiggle own brand ones are pretty well though of.

Swiss stop Black Prince if you want the spendy option.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

When I bought some they came with pads
  • johngti
    Well carbon brake tracks don’t wear as much as alloy and the primes are excellent. I’d be tempted by them, can’t see how the bidding will go much higher.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    I'd go for the ones with high res pics of the brake tracks, personally. There are too many "like new, raced for only one season" adverts out there.

And if you are going second hand why go for a brand that was budget in the first place?
  • And since they're out of stock, anyone with any views on second hand wheels?

Namely the ones with claimed sub 1000 mile usage.

Always tricky to tell from a few ebay pics but those all do look like they have had little use. The mavic in the first advert certainly look barely used.

I always err on the side of caution with the 'less than 500 miles' claims and factor in more use than claimed. As long as they haven't been crashed and the brake track is good then a bit of extra mileage over the claimed amount is no issue.
  • johngti
    No problem at all - usually come with 10-speed spacers included
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    edited August 2021
    mrb123 said:

The Wiggle own brand ones are pretty well though of.

Swiss stop Black Prince if you want the spendy option.
    I've gone for Swiss Stop black prince too, to replace the factory grey Enve ones on my 2nd hand wheels.
    Reviews seemed to be glowing.

Those Edcos from Rick are no lightweights at 1890g, and are disc brake wheels, where as I thought you were looking for rim brake ones, or is this two topics in one?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    If you are using a CS-6700 cassette, you need to add a 1.85mm spacer behind your existing 1mm spacer. Secound hand wheels spacer may be missing if the first owner used them with a 11sp cassette, so check they still have it. They are cheap to buy should you need one though.
  • I’ve got 50mm rims and they don’t whoosh. ☹️

That is sad but you have to do something
    Jay Jangid
    SEO Executive
    The Next Hint, Inc.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I’ve got 50mm rims and they don’t whoosh. ☹️

That is sad but you have to do something
    He could download this and play it on his phone as he rides. If its good enough for electric cars...

https://mixkit.co/free-sound-effects/whoosh/
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2021
    After a month of feeling guilty about spending the money, so therefore not spending it, I've finally bought a pair of wheels.

https://www.edco-wheels.co.uk/product/all-road-maloja-2/

Will let you know how I get on with them - I suspect it will be additional faff because of my old bike.

Feel free to judge but they seem to get fantastic reviews.

I went for the 25mm width to make sure it fits in with my 2011 Canyon...
  • First.Aspect
    edited October 2021
    I ended up getting some 1200g Zed wheels in the end.

They are round and look exactly like my workhorse Mavics from more than 2 metres away.

Money well spent.
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2021

I ended up getting some 1200g Zed wheels in the end.

They are round and look exactly like my workhorse Mavics from more than 2 metres away.

Money well spent.

May I ask how much, and whether they are rim or disc brake?
    What depth rim?
    Tubeless or clincher?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    https://zedbikewheels.com/

About £1k. That weight is for the 38mm rim brakes. Tubelesss I think. Either rim or disc. He also does string wheels, which I assume is a bit like the spokes Spinergy use.

Pros - look nice, with a Matt bare carbon weave and very little branding, hubs seem okay (think they are the same as that new Auzzie brand), wheels are stiff but don't transmit road buzz (carbon spokes). Good customer service.

Cons - spokes are bladed but have a notchy profile that probably isn't aero in reality. I am slow so who cares. Front is minimally out of true, rear has a slight pulse on the rack so probably slightly oval.

Possibly these wheels are just bastard hard to build, with these spokes. I certainly can't notice anything when I'm out on the road so it is a non issue.

• daniel_b
    Interesting @First.Aspect - I've literally days ago ordered my first new pair, for the same price as you, of 'built' to a spec wheels - I have another set, but I bought them 2nd hand.

I went to Mark at Spokesman wheels, we had several mails back and forth, and as I wanted lightweight wheels have gone for 30mm rims, disc brake wheels - normal black spokes (He doesn't work with carbon ones), Tune hubs for lightness, and they are meant to weigh in at 1280ish grams - yours sounds pretty amazing at 1200g I have to say!
    I heard Zed mentioned, but didn't really look into them, kinda wish I had now, they have some good looking offerings.
    Be interested to hear how you get on with them - will you run them tubeless?

I'm running mine with latex tubes and 28mm GP5000s - have bought XTR rotors, have a choice of ultegra cassettes, and the wheels are due in a couple of weeks.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    Why such large tyres?
  • First.Aspect
    daniel_b said:

Interesting @First.Aspect - I've literally days ago ordered my first new pair, for the same price as you, of 'built' to a spec wheels - I have another set, but I bought them 2nd hand.

I went to Mark at Spokesman wheels, we had several mails back and forth, and as I wanted lightweight wheels have gone for 30mm rims, disc brake wheels - normal black spokes (He doesn't work with carbon ones), Tune hubs for lightness, and they are meant to weigh in at 1280ish grams - yours sounds pretty amazing at 1200g I have to say!
    I heard Zed mentioned, but didn't really look into them, kinda wish I had now, they have some good looking offerings.
    Be interested to hear how you get on with them - will you run them tubeless?

I'm running mine with latex tubes and 28mm GP5000s - have bought XTR rotors, have a choice of ultegra cassettes, and the wheels are due in a couple of weeks.

They might be 1250. Check the website. Not a lot in it really.
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2021

Why such large tyres?

Because they are 22mm wide internal rims, so any narrower would be verging on the inadvisable.

@First.Aspect yep looking on the site the rim brake ones are definitely a bit lighter as you would expect, so weight for weight, and cost there is probably little in it.
    Have carbon spokes on a set of Mavics and like them a lot, and also those cord spokes (As you say much like Spinergy offer) look pretty cool, though I would want black or yellow, but they only seem to make black and white.

The Spokesman wheels are just plain black I think, no weave (Which I might well have liked), and no branding at all - which I think I quite like.
    Black nipples, black spokes, and black hubs - though possibly with some Tune logos on them.

Checking his e-mail again, he reckons 1270-1285g.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey

After a month of feeling guilty about spending the money, so therefore not spending it, I've finally bought a pair of wheels.

https://www.edco-wheels.co.uk/product/all-road-maloja-2/

Will let you know how I get on with them - I suspect it will be additional faff because of my old bike.

Feel free to judge but they seem to get fantastic reviews.

I went for the 25mm width to make sure it fits in with my 2011 Canyon...

An update - these are not expected to arrive for another fortnight.
  • MattFalle
    Unacceptable Mr C, unacceptable.
  • rick_chasey
    I know, right? Stuck in Germany at the moment, apparently.
  • MattFalle
    Pisspoor excuse by them. Nothing gets stuck in Germany because they are far to efficient.

I reckon we should start a campaign - "Release the Chasey 2"

• rick_chasey
    It did strike me as odd as they are swiss but anyway.

I have gone for the narrower wheels but they still apparently size up very wide so I hope they fit. I did measure them up.
  • MattFalle
    They'll fit fine - you may need to release some brake cable but it won't be anything major.

Otherwise its an excuse to buy a new bike.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2021
    Rest assured I will be offering a very detailed review on the "whooosh" factor
  • MattFalle
    Exvellent.

We need piccies as well or it never happened.