How much before a material improvement - wheels..

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    They were £800 new and he's selling them for £600.

Covid tax.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited July 2021
    You could pick them up for £649 new at P/X..

#covidtax
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    These are the RC50s…

Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    edited July 2021
    its a frickin sweeeeeet ride, I'll give you that.
  • First.Aspect
    You need to get one of those weed wands.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

You need to get one of those weed wands.

That's not my garden, you cheeky ****. :smiley:

Have a word with Newham Borough... this was outside Pudding Mill Lane station.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle

You need to get one of those flamethrowers.

ftfy
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

Covid tax.

And I doubt the warranty is transferrable.
  • MattFalle

Covid tax.

And I doubt the warranty is transferrable.
    deffo not transferable.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Prime 50mm have gone up a bit over the last ~6 months, they were £500 including a tyre bundle, now ~£600 without tyres. Maybe they've improved now, but three years ago I got a poor hub vibe for the Prime range, albeit ironically I ran into rear hub issues with MF's favourite wheel brand. ;)

They've been out a while now, so it's a little surprising that the Merlin range including their ~£500 50mm set have so few reviews.

I don't have the disposable income to think about £500+ wheelsets, but after my experience with Hunt, rightly or wrongly I'd be more inclined to stick to a "big brand" like DT Swiss next time, which would definitely rule out 50mm+ wheels.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Late to the party but wheels defo. Computer some other time. I’m even considering selling my Bolt. I can track rides on my watch and if I get lost, I’ve always got a phone.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited July 2021
    johngti said:

Late to the party but wheels defo. Computer some other time. I’m even considering selling my Bolt. I can track rides on my watch and if I get lost, I’ve always got a phone.

Thanks. I dunno. I don't have much time and getting lost takes some of that up. I know most of the roads around here but it'd be quite nice to not have to guesstimate when i'm riding new roads.

Honestly this is a helpful thread.

My problem is I hate spending money so I do all this talk and 80% of the time end up spending nothing.

That's how you end up with a 10 year old bike with all the same kit on it.
  • First.Aspect
    I like to see distance and speed and wotnot so I can see how tired I am. Phone for unfixables at roadside.

Occasionally just ride with fenix on wrist. I get bored just looking at my stem.
  • First.Aspect
    edited July 2021

johngti said:

Thanks. I dunno. I don't have much time and getting lost takes some of that up. I know most of the roads around here but it'd be quite nice to not have to guesstimate when i'm riding new roads.

My problem is I hate spending money so I do all this talk and 80% of the time end up spending nothing.

Buy once (or infrequently) and buy well. This immediately rules out spending a lot on any tech because it's immediately out of date.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Have a regular look on wiggles ebay shop. Always got prime carbons on there.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215

Prime 50mm have gone up a bit over the last ~6 months, they were £500 including a tyre bundle, now ~£600 without tyres. Maybe they've improved now, but three years ago I got a poor hub vibe for the Prime range, albeit ironically I ran into rear hub issues with MF's favourite wheel brand. ;)

They've been out a while now, so it's a little surprising that the Merlin range including their ~£500 50mm set have so few reviews.

I don't have the disposable income to think about £500+ wheelsets, but after my experience with Hunt, rightly or wrongly I'd be more inclined to stick to a "big brand" like DT Swiss next time, which would definitely rule out 50mm+ wheels.

Prime wheels use Novatec for hubs, and they're probably the world largest hub OEM. They're decent enough and easy to fix and maintain or pick up inexpensive spares. DT Swiss hubs may be more durable in the wet, but they need special tools to get at the bearings, and they're a lot more expensive without many other tangible benefits.

Big name brands don't necessarily mean better quality, and most likely not better value. I have read reports of mega bucks Enve rims being totally shoddy in construction, while cheap Chinese rims can be immaculately made.

The stuff Wiggle punts through the Prime brand is a safe bet and backed by a decent warranty. There are a few other good value options in the UK, but only way to get significantly better value is by importing direct from China via AliExpress, eBay, or companies like Lightbicycle and Farsports, but there are extra risks and long lead times there.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The rear hub on my Zipps is well crap. No preload and the end caps come off by sticking the quick release through the axle and just push the cap. Doesn’t even need a tap. I once took the wheel off, the cap came off along with the freehub with sprockets still attached.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

johngti said:

Probably a bit OT but the new Bolt v2 is a big upgrade from the v1 IMHO. The new colour screen & the mapping are far far better. Just a better user experience all round. Some folk have had issues with bugs in the software but I've had zero problems.

That said if I had the choice between a new GPS unit & a new set of wheels I'd go for the hoops every time.

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

You could pick them up for £649 new at P/X..

#covidtax

Disc version though.

https://planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPTKC45D/token-resolute-disc-c45d-700c-carbon-wheelset
  • MattFalle
    Tbh - nicest rolling wheels I've ever ridden: my Spinergys.

just lush.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    I got some Cero AR24s in the sale at about 169 quidlets, not a bad climbing wheel at 1500 grams but it took me a long time to fix a leak when running tubeless. They are currently over 200 quid :-(.

Before that I had the el cheapo Prime Peleton's but they were a bit heavy.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • MattFalle

Spinergys. Pwwwwwoooaaaarr

light
    fast
    ridiculously cool
    rare
    can also be used as Ninja throwing stars
  • rick_chasey
    Downside is you look like a Triathlete.
  • MattFalle
    what? on spinergys?

nah fam, total wrong. total you look like Super Mario, when cycling was cool and not infested with dentists and people who buy a lifestyle from a retailer....
  • MattFalle

and because of you, I now need a yellow 'Dale.

thanks
    a
    bunch.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2021
    *pats Matt on the head* of course you look like Super Mario on the bike, there there. No of course you don't instead look like a triathlete, of course

• MattFalle
    If I cut the sleeves off my tops, have shoes that close with velcro in one big strap and wear no socks I could perfect the look.....

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583

*pats Matt on the head* of course you look like Super Mario on the bike, there there. No of course you don't instead look like a triathlete, of course

Just like him...

• rick_chasey
    In fairness, he's closer to my height.
  • MattFalle
    in fairness, i do have the Monsieur Bricolage top that looks like a pair of dungarees....