How much before a material improvement - wheels..

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    davidof said:

I got some Cero AR24s in the sale at about 169 quidlets, not a bad climbing wheel at 1500 grams but it took me a long time to fix a leak when running tubeless. They are currently over 200 quid :-(.

Before that I had the el cheapo Prime Peleton's but they were a bit heavy.

I have these on my Condor Italia RC, which I have set up for hilly days. Great wheels and I also landed them for ~£150!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Is it bad that I paid £250 for 3 mint Spinergys, the Lucy Worsley of wheels.

Imagine TDLW in a lab coat bearing you Spinergys.....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Got to ask. TDLW?
  • MattFalle
    The Delicious Lucy Worsley

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    MattFalle said:

The Delicious Lucy Worsley

Gotcha! Now that makes sense.
  • MattFalle
    she's ridiculously, stupidly amazingly wonderful.

everyone reckons they have the prettiest wife at home. mr worsley does.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,741
    MattFalle said:

what? on spinergys?

nah fam, total wrong. total you look like Super Mario, when cycling was cool and not infested with dentists and people who buy a lifestyle from a retailer....

It's a difficult balance - the height of retro cool vs riding a wheel that was prone to collapsing.

I have to admit if I had the right bike I'd have a pair.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

what? on spinergys?

nah fam, total wrong. total you look like Super Mario, when cycling was cool and not infested with dentists and people who buy a lifestyle from a retailer....

It's a difficult balance - the height of retro cool vs riding a wheel that was prone to collapsing.

I have to admit if I had the right bike I'd have a pair.

better to burn out than fade away.....

buy it and them, buy it and them, do it do it do it now.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    Those Spinergys are like classic cars.

Nice idea, providing that when you are driving you don't think about air bags, that you will lose your feet in a minor crash, there's a spike in the steering column, etc.
  • MattFalle
    It's all about living life on the edge.

If I wanted sensible I'd buy an anorak and a set of Hunts.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

With discs, otherwise you can't stop.

Personally, I wouldn't. Only set of those I saw was the back wheel on a friend's bike. The wheel wasn't even close to true. I bet it was when it was new. You have to worry about that.
  • MattFalle
    edited July 2021
    You want to see my set.

true
    beautiful
    ultra cool
    a massive accident waiting to happen

but at the end of the day, a life lived in fear is a life half lived.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

With discs, otherwise you can't stop.

Personally, I wouldn't. Only set of those I saw was the back wheel on a friend's bike. The wheel wasn't even close to true. I bet it was when it was new. You have to worry about that.
    agree totally re the discs bit. rim brakes are just lethal and should be banned immediately.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    edited August 2021
    So an update. On the club run (first club run in 3 years! Man I missed them. And in hindsight, it was the first gathering of more than 5 people I've been with since the pandemic - I talked a lot) whilst I was freewheeling on faster stretches my hub started making a rather worrying roaring which vibrated through the bike.

Short story - the hub is knackered. On closer inspection, I've also gone well past the "wear indicator" thing on the rims - so the need has become rather urgent.

Will let you know what I go for.
  • First.Aspect
    I finally ordered those Winspace ones. Supposed to be super-stiff and they use the same carbon spokes as Hunt and a few other brands. I'll let you know how they feel in a week or so.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    edited August 2021

I finally ordered those Winspace ones. Supposed to be super-stiff and they use the same carbon spokes as Hunt and a few other brands. I'll let you know how they feel in a week or so.

That fast, I thought there was a fair old wait and shipping delays?

I guess you won't know what the final bill is until they get checked by customs?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    daniel_b said:

I guess you won't know what the final bill is until they get checked by customs?
    There is a UK distributor now. Looks like he's working from his home, but it's a legit company as far as I can tell. I'm sure there's a mark up but it seems to be small and it saves some hassle.

Jedi Cycle Sports
  • daniel_b

daniel_b said:

There is a UK distributor now. Looks like he's working from his home, but it's a legit company as far as I can tell. I'm sure there's a mark up but it seems to be small and it saves some hassle.

Jedi Cycle Sports
    Awesome, will bookmark them - and yes I guess it looke like it might be something around a 25% premium, but as you say if there are issues, probably a price worth paying.

Look forward to your feedback.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

Jedi Cycle Sports
    Awesome, will bookmark them - and yes I guess it looke like it might be something around a 25% premium, but as you say if there are issues, probably a price worth paying.

Look forward to your feedback.
    I think its less than that, for now. $1250 (price from China plus express shipping, I believe) is about £900 already. I've paid £1010. So if taxes are applied at the UK border I don't see much difference.

Caveat is they've not arrived yet, but I have tracking details...
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2021
    Even better then, well worth it for what is meant to be a really high quality and light wheelset.

If it's £900 to start with, import duties and taxes would crank that up to well over £1000 I think.

I suspect he will be inundated with orders, wonder how many he has in stock!

You went for 50mm, rim or disc brake?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    daniel_b said:

Even better then, well worth it for what is meant to be a really high quality and light wheelset.

If it's £900 to start with, import duties and taxes would crank that up to well over £1000 I think.

Yes, rim brake.

I've heard mixed reviews but most of the niggles appear to relate to how well greased everything is. Also nervous about longevity of hybrid ceramic bearing. Will be on a fair weather bike so should be fine.
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2021
    Are they the wheels where you could choose ceramic for ultimate performance, or a more standard bearing for more longevity?
    As you say, on a fair weather bike, should be fine, and I would likely make the same choice, if indeed there is one!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    daniel_b said:

Are they the wheels where you could choose ceramic for ultimate performance, or a more standard bearing for more longevity?
    As you say, on a fair weather bike, should be fine, and I would likely make the same choice, if indeed there is one!

There's no choice and I probably wouldn't spec them. Hard against soft is a bad combo.

They will be a standard size though so I'm sure they'd be replaceable.
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2021

daniel_b said:

There's no choice and I probably wouldn't spec them. Hard against soft is a bad combo.

They will be a standard size though so I'm sure they'd be replaceable.
    My mistake, might be the Scribes I am thinking of.

If you remember, I'd be intrigued to see what the actual weight is of these wheels - they claim 1344 - 1354g which is incredible.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    My mistake, might be the Scribes I am thinking of.

Yes Scribe give you a choice of Endurance or Race bearings. They will also replace them twice in the first 3 years of warranty if required

I recently bought a set of the 50D+ and I'm enjoying them on the bike. They're a good price and you can pay with Klarna over 12 months 0% interest. You get some spare parts provided and they sell all the spares on their website which makes it easy to look after them. I also ordered them with tyres on set up for tubeless so could just put them straight on the bike.

They were late arriving but for the cost and weight, I thought it was worth it.

• First.Aspect

daniel_b said:

Yes, rim brake.

I've heard mixed reviews but most of the niggles appear to relate to how well greased everything is. Also nervous about longevity of hybrid ceramic bearing. Will be on a fair weather bike so should be fine.
    Well they've arrived. I've saved a whole 100g over my Mavics, but added 10mm depth and some whoosh. Out of the box they are true and I can't see any issues.

Looking at the way the fibre tow is wound, I'd put money on these being the same spokes and the same rims as Hunt limitless, but with different hubs. And cheaper.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616

daniel_b said:

Yes, rim brake.

Well they've arrived. I've saved a whole 100g over my Mavics, but added 10mm depth and some whoosh. Out of the box they are true and I can't see any issues.

Looking at the way the fibre tow is wound, I'd put money on these being the same spokes and the same rims as Hunt limitless, but with different hubs. And cheaper.
    What is the real weight of them then? As expected?
  • First.Aspect
    mrb123 said:

daniel_b said:

Yes, rim brake.

What is the real weight of them then? As expected?
    Hard to say. I don't have a digital scale.

The Mavics I have are, I think the 40c's. They are supposed to be about 1550g.

The winspaces were advertised at 1350g.

I don't have a digital scale, and I'd mounted tyres tubes and a cassette (11-25 on the Mavics, 11-28 on the Hypers) and the difference wasn't much on some crappy kitchen scales. I was expecting more.
  • MattFalle

daniel_b said:

Yes, rim brake.

same specs as Hints but cheaper?

never!

#shocker
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

daniel_b said:

Yes, rim brake.

same specs as Hints but cheaper?

never!

#shocker
    This is just like going fishing and pulling up a shopping trolley.