How much before a material improvement - wheels..

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

It's a fact. UFOs are all saucer shaped and stubby. Nothing like our primitive pointy shaped aeroplanes.

what about the sausage shaped ones?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    MattFalle said:

It's a fact. UFOs are all saucer shaped and stubby. Nothing like our primitive pointy shaped aeroplanes.

what about the sausage shaped ones?
    Still pretty wide and therefore aero.

I saw one once.*

*Might have been an a320
  • MattFalle
    edited July 2021
    So, what we've learnt so far

MF is right
    The whoooosh is vital
    The whoooosh adds mph
    Bobones is a bit daggy
    Ben's wheels are perfect for what he uses them for as he knows what he is talking about
    MF is right
    Rick is seeing sense and buying carbon phats
    H3 has mega wheels
    FA may have seen a UFO. Or it could have been an aeroplane. One of the two.

I think that is all points covered.
  • MattFalle
    bobones said:

Tubs will be as rare as rim brakes in the pro peloton within the next couple of years. MVDP was using tubeless 23mm Vittoria Corsa Speed G2.0s in his TT the other day. So much for wide tyres too.

he didn't go in a wind tunnel or do any TTs before, so is that the new norm as well?
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    I’ve got 50mm rims and they don’t whoosh. ☹️
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Do they at least thrummm.
  • MattFalle

seriously?

what are they?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

You have to ride them first. They don't "self-whoosh". ;)

Above 35 kph should do it.

Also, plastic, not alloy. Alloy just rattles.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Is the whoosh sound in dB in any way proportionate to the outlay in £s?
    Is there some sort of scale of whoosh to dosh?
  • webboo
    edited July 2021

No I have some Zipps and some Primes and the whoosh is about the same. There may be a bit of difference in the thrummms though.
  • First.Aspect

Yes but there is a lot of fake Chinese whooshing. You can only tell the difference if you hacksaw through the rim and hold it to your ear like a conch.
  • ballysmate
    Does a Chinese whoosh sound different to an English, or Dutch for that matter, whoosh?
    Or can the difference in sound only be noticed by a clubbie?
  • First.Aspect

Does a Chinese whoosh sound different to an English, or Dutch for that matter, whoosh?
    Or can the difference in sound only be noticed by a clubbie?

GCN really rate the Enve whoosh, but sat on the fence about how safe non branded rim whooshing would be at high sound levels.
  • ballysmate
    Would the loud whooshing negate the legal requirement for a bell to be fitted?
    Or would you not be legally allowed to ride during hours of darkness ie 11 pm til 7 am because of the noise?
    Would people think it was an air raid warning and we were being bombed by the Russkies?
  • First.Aspect
    No you are getting confused with the freewheel noise.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I havnt even fitted my new scirrocos and I feel in in inadequate. I can't bear to open the box, the shame.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    So consensus is less than £500 not really worth doing?
  • ballysmate
    I can see I still have much to learn about this cycling malarky. I will stick to the beginners section and leave the whooshing to the pros. And clubbies, of course.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

I can see I still have much to learn about this cycling malarky. I will stick to the beginners section and leave the whooshing to the pros. And clubbies, of course.

I am probably even worse - a clubbie who refused to wear club kit on the club run 😬
  • First.Aspect

What is this "consensus" of which you speak? It isn't something I've come across here.
  • webboo
    I bought some Primes 50’s a month or so ago I think, they were just over £500. I have some Zipp 303’s but the back wheel was making some weird noises. I had already had the bearings and freehub replaced. So rather than do that again I’m planning to get a new hub in the back wheel. So the primes are a sort of stop gap. I justified it as a birthday present and my extra income from the state would pay for them.
    So I’m only using the back wheel at the moment and it seems fine, I have probably done nearly a 1,000 miles on it including up and down hills up to 30% and one ride of 150 miles.
  • hopkinb
    500-900, more expensive is a bit lighter, nicer hubs (though don't quote me on that), straight pull spokes, more water resistant carbon... I've had 2 sets of primes in 5 years Rp-50 and black 60, love them both. Still have the rear of the first set, as the front got nicked. Spare bits all easily available on wiggle and chain reaction.

Never had a posh set of wheels to compare against mind you.

I have them because I think they look good and make a great noise when you're battering it. I'm under no illusions that a talented rider wouldn't leave me for dust on box rimmed oem wheels on a bso fashioned from girders. :smile:
  • First.Aspect
    What is this non waterproof carbon fibre if which you speak?
  • ballysmate

I know the square root of FA about what makes a good or bad wheel. If it makes you feel good, then spend your windfall.
    You may land up with a better bike, but it won't make you a better cyclist. It may make you a happy cyclist though, which is what it is all about.
  • hopkinb

Any fule kno carbon melt in rain...

:smiley:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

lol tubs I am not a mad man. I am a guy riding a 2011 bike in 2021. What makes you think I am the kind of person who rides tubs?

For precisely that reason..
  • darkhairedlord

Special carbon for Dry wheels. Like dry lube, for when going in dry... in dry rims. Everyone knows this...
  • darkhairedlord

I am probably even worse - a clubbie who refused to wear club kit on the club run 😬
    You will be wanting ultegra wheels then.
  • MattFalle

I havnt even fitted my new scirrocos and I feel in in inadequate. I can't bear to open the box, the shame.

best smash them with hammers, fire and throwing before they come out of the box then.
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

Any fule kno carbon melt in rain...

:smiley:
    warp/weft

an age old problem.