TDF 2021:- Stage 3, Lorient > Pontivy 182.9 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    Pogacar, Thomas and Uran lost 26s.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I did say it was a very technical finish, what I meant was, unsafe.

Carapaz big winner, the rest it's a question of how much they lost.

Jack Haig is out of the race. Roglic looks really beaten up.
    Caleb Ewan gone by the looks.
    Geraint: who knows?
    Even Pogacar lost time.

Merlier, not MVDP for the sprint. ;)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391
    I need to get back to work but want to see a full GC. Think Geraint will have gained several places, who would have seen that with 140km to go? Anyone see Pog finish? He definitely got held up in the crash on that bend a few km out that I think was outside the 3k.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,923
    What a shambles.

I know everyone is nervous and fresh at the start and will fight for every gap but this is ridiculous.

I don’t understand why the UCI don’t put gopros on every bike. If you’re found to be riding dangerously or causing crashes then you’re fined, kicked off the race etc. They’d soon change their riding style then.

Sagan is just a ****. I wouldn’t be on his wheel. He was barging people left right and centre. He’s got previous form as well, should come down on him like a ton of bricks.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,329
    ddraver said:

Still no Thomas...

Cav rolls in alone 10 minutes down - tactical genius!

Thomas rolled in with Pogacar group, according to Pro Cycling Stats
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391
    Thought Ewan just touched the wheel of the rider in front but the commentators are making it out to be a big mystery.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,633
    Was the Poels crash inside 3km?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058
    rozzer32 said:

What a shambles.

I know everyone is nervous and fresh at the start and will fight for every gap but this is ridiculous.

I don’t understand why the UCI don’t put gopros on every bike. If you’re found to be riding dangerously or causing crashes then you’re fined, kicked off the race etc. They’d soon change their riding style then.

Sagan is just a ****. I wouldn’t be on his wheel. He was barging people left right and centre. He’s got previous form as well, should come down on him like a ton of bricks.

Ahhh, but could you hold on to your handlebars like that during a crash!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,329
    Pross said:

Thought Ewan just touched the wheel of the rider in front but the commentators are making it out to be a big mystery.

Thought it was fairly clear he tapped Merlier's wheel as he moves left. Not sure what Eurosport are confused about either.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    Reminds me of that stage where every rider fell off on the finish line.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977

Not sure what happened to Ewan, but he took out Sagan. Sagan was my PTP pick on the basis he rarely falls, but there wasn't much he could do there.

Yes, have watched that a few times, and Ewan's front wheel just went without touching anyone.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,247

Was the Poels crash inside 3km?

No. And I think it was Haig, not Poels.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • From the overhead it looked like Sagan bumped Ewan and then he lost his wheel taking Sagan down.
  • RichN95.

Roglic +1.21
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,900
    Narrow roads everyone trying to get on the front ...
    It's a race FFS
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

From the overhead it looked like Sagan bumped Ewan and then he lost his wheel taking Sagan down.

Ewan was trapped against the barriers and moved left clipping the wheel.in front I think
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    Ewan isn't listed as a finisher yet
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    The Pogacar one was inevitable. I assume everyone thought there was going to be a crash there as soon as they saw pictures of the front group going around that corner.
  • blazing_saddles

ddraver said:

Still no Thomas...

Cav rolls in alone 10 minutes down - tactical genius!

Thomas rolled in with Pogacar group, according to Pro Cycling Stats
    He did. I saw him cross the Pogacar/Uran group.

Who sneaked in just behind the leaders, unnoticed? Old Stoneface.
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    rozzer32 said:

What a shambles.

This, Sagan has been getting away with it for years, people argue blue in the face regards the big Cav crash but he was all over the place.
    That said riders are overtly aggressive, going in too hot into terrain they can't see, and this won't go down too well, Tony Martin wasn't remotely looking ahead when he hit the women with the sign. It's a race but you have to be looking forward and assessing ALL the time. Too many riders in the pro ranks and down through to the amatuer ranks are simply reckless.
  • RichN95.
    Jack Haig DNF
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

Testing everyone in top five?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,951
    Carapaz now leading of the main GC riders, just ahead of Pogacar with Thomas a bit further back. Roglic is around a minute behind Carapaz. Interestingly, Quintana is up there, and it's noticeable that he always seems to keep out of trouble in these crashes.
  • blazing_saddles

From the overhead it looked like Sagan bumped Ewan and then he lost his wheel taking Sagan down.

It's true was doing his usual, argy bargy sprint stuff for sure.
    Not the safest guy in the peloton.
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

Jack Haig DNF

He was going well too
  • RichN95.

2007 Giro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jeB9_VmkNc
  • RichN95.
    Ewan has got over the line at least
  • blazing_saddles
    edited June 2021
    ddraver said:

And just becasue I scrolled past it and...wow

"We're going to need a bigger boat...."

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058
    edited June 2021