TDF 2021:- Stage 3, Lorient > Pontivy 182.9 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,633
    Roglic complaining Colbrelli body checked him. "unnecessary". If he's feeling particularly miffed then I suggest putting van Aert on Colbrelli's wheel for any sprints...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,247
    A few years back (2013 I think) Tony Martin was loaded into the back of an ambulance without reaching the finish line. About a week later he won the time trial
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711

Roglic complaining Colbrelli body checked him. "unnecessary". If he's feeling particularly miffed then I suggest putting van Aert on Colbrelli's wheel for any sprints...

Whatever game him that idea?

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391

Thought it was still a DNF if you didn't cross the line, regardless of where it was?

Convinced Cavendish said he'd just seen Ewan coming across the line and he didn't look good, but I suppose Cavendish might have meant as he (Cav) was coming in rather than Ewan.

Yeah, I think it would have been the latter.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    "I hardly touched him, ref"
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    Good idea to check where the helicopter is before laying the smack down...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross

Whatever game him that idea?

There seemed to be loads of space for him to move up safely there but without an overhead it's hard to work out what happened.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058
    There is a woman on the run watching this on TV thinking "hang on a minute!"
  • Pross
    All the talk of whether the rider has to finish makes me wonder what happens if a rider's bike crosses the line but the rider doesn't - would they get a placing?
  • Pross

Mørkøv says none of DQS tasted tarmac today, which is impressive.

They'd already lost their position at the front though I think which is less impressive. Alpecin Fenix having 3 finish in that tiny front group is more impressive.
  • Pross said:

All the talk of whether the rider has to finish makes me wonder what happens if a rider's bike crosses the line but the rider doesn't - would they get a placing?

Brings a new meaning to the phrase 'bike throw'
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver said:

Good idea to check where the helicopter is before laying the smack down...

The heli was up there, from the aftermath shot. Not seen any footage though
  • Pross

Pross said:

Brings a new meaning to the phrase 'bike throw'
    Thinking if Abdu had skidded up the road and his front wheel crossed the line but his body didn't or similar.
  • RichN95.
    Pross said:

What happened with Jacobsen for his crash, because he officially won the stage
  • focuszing723
    edited June 2021
  • blazing_saddles
    A whole lot of nonsense being talked on forum/social media about neutralisations. In Rog's case, the 8kms the riders asked for would have made no difference.
    The Tour's first week is special, precisely because tensions always run higher as the prize is bigger.
    Big crashes have always been part of that.

Ironically those who are calling for greater safety and longer neutralisations are usually to be found complaining that races are boring.
  • RichN95.
    The roads were too narrow for an early Tour sprint stage. There was barely any road markings in the last 20km. The early finishes need to be a major roads, not tractor tracks.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,329
    edited June 2021
    Today's Mystic Meg award goes to whichever pundit suggested that the narrow roads would make the final sprint safer because it would thin out the peloton. I mean, sure the final sprint was safer because there were only about five riders interested in it, but...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    I don't think neutralisation was the answer, just not planning finishes like that, especially not for the first sprint stage of the Tour.
    3 days in and this is the crashiest I can remember.

Mørkøv was pretty scathing on dk tv. He said for as long as he'd been riding they'd been asking for better safety, but nothing happens and at the end you just need to look after yourself and hope.
    He also snorted when asked if the riders union should get involved "we don't have a union"
  • blazing_saddles
    edited June 2021
    RichN95. said:

The roads were too narrow for an early Tour sprint stage. There was barely any road markings in the last 20km. The early finishes need to be a major roads, not tractor tracks.

I know that road. It's not a tractor track, just the usual secondary road that are all over Brittany. It really isn't that narrow, but I did say the downhill into town would be a problem. Pontivy sits in a river valley, so coming in from the other side brings a different set of problems.
    If the only solution is to stick to the main roads, the Tour shuts roads down for the day. It would cause chaos everywhere the race went.

S Kragh Anderson post-stage:

"Yes the road is dangerous, but it is us riders that make it dangerous, also because every DS is screaming at their riders on the radio to get to the front".
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    I saw that Kragh interview, he's right, but if you're a DS you have to do it.
  • Pross
    That sums it up, the riders have it in their power to control how they ride if they think the roads are too dangerous to race flat out. The Roglic crash was nothing to do with the road layout and nor was Ewan's. The one where Haig got injured was on a difficult corner but if we are going to avoid narrow roads, tight turns and street furniture it will rule out large parts of France and mean stage finishes in out of town industrial zones
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2021
    Pross said:

That sums it up, the riders have it in their power to control how they ride if they think the roads are too dangerous to race flat out. The Roglic crash was nothing to do with the road layout and nor was Ewan's. The one where Haig got injured was on a difficult corner but if we are going to avoid narrow roads, tight turns and street furniture it will rule out large parts of France and mean stage finishes in out of town industrial zones

And whenever the riders do take action everyone criticises them. I doubt you would have applauded if they had refused to race the last 20km. It would have been "if you won;t race we'll find others who will" and then there will be faux concern when there's big crashes.

Do other sports actively try to jeopardise its star names. It can't be good for viewing figures, It's very simple. Have a prologue and hold the early sprint stages on big roads. Then things will calm down a bit.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,923

Ironically those who are calling for greater safety and longer neutralisations are usually to be found complaining that races are boring.

So let’s spice up the races by making them dangerous and hope for more crashes?

Crashes do not make for an entertaining race.

***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    It thus far has all the hallmarks of 2015 when there was a whole load of handwringing about crashes. Actually, all it is is that big names have gone down this year (twice due to their own carelessness) whereas usually, it's no name domestiques that no one cares about.

At least we don't have the super edifying #CarrotDown crap anymore...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Think only the one at the left hand bend with about 6km to go was the fault of the course. There was 100% going to be a crash there. Don't know how well signalled that was.
  • focuszing723
    The road could be akin to a motorway, a touch of wheels and they all go down like a sack of sh1t. It's just the nature of a close contact sport. If it was easy to solve it would have been done decades ago.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    So what did I miss while getting my little prik?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,329
    edited June 2021

So what did I miss while getting my little prik?

Not much, really. Sprint between three survivors of a break-away instead of the Battle Royale we'd been promised. Underwhelming, really.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Today's Mystic Meg award goes to whichever pundit suggested that the narrow roads would make the final sprint safer because it would thin out the peloton. I mean, sure the final sprint was safer because there were only about five riders interested in it, but...

Greipel did an interview pre-race where he said it was a quiet route in the main, but everyone should be wary of the finish
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk