TDF 2021:- Stage 2, Perros-Guirec > Mûr-de-Bretagne Guerlédan 183.5 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146

Ned & David too?

Might explain it. I often think they are better when they can hear all the other nations talking into their mics - sort of hive mind mutually helping each other

I think it certainly helps to be able to talk about things with their colleagues from other countries, whose interest is naturally on other riders. Twitter fills some of the gap, but the last year has seen noticeably fewer "I was talking to someone from X, and they were saying..." digressions that give more insight into particular riders or what's happening on screen.
    Smith was saying he is in all the team's WhatsApp groups so gets his information that way.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Ned & David too?

Might explain it. I often think they are better when they can hear all the other nations talking into their mics - sort of hive mind mutually helping each other

The regular director passed away recently.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325

Ned & David too?

The regular director passed away recently.

Must admit that when they cut away at the worst possible time this afternoon I wondered if it was directorial naivety.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95. said:

It's so quiet in my neighbourhood. I clearly have no Czech neighbours.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Just watching the ITV highlights. Quite interesting because the commentary was clearly recorded as it happened (rather than dubbed in later) - there's an obvious moment right at the end when Boulting suddenly has to recap exactly what had happened because they've gone back live. Also early on in the climb, the tones are very much someone who's simultaneously talking and listening to the production team realise they've screwed up and are telling him to make sure he's still talking because they'll need it for the highlights...
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,900
    Talking of Verstappen. I bet all the F1 teams were wearing face mask along with all the commentary team, flick over to the football and it's like a bloody free for all. The only thing akin to a mask was a player with a football shirt around his chops!
  • Pross

Talking of Verstappen. I bet all the F1 teams were wearing face mask along with all the commentary team, flick over to the football and it's like a bloody free for all. The only thing akin to a mask was a player with a football shirt around his chops!

Something tells me you have a bee in your bonnet about this.
  • tailwindhome
    RichN95. said:

That's a trvia question to keep me occupied. Merckx, Hinault, Indurain, Froome, Anquetil, Bobet. Does Armstrong count I wonder? Also the Yellow Jersey didn't exist until 1919

Apparently he's the 6th rider to have worn all 4 jerseys

If you'd like to consider who the other 5 are I'll try to remember who tweeted the stat :)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    In other stats MVDP/ADVP become the first father&son yellow Jersey holders and MDVP is the first non World Tour rider to wear yellow in 10 years. (credit/blame @caferoubaix on twitter)
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,900
    Pross said:

Something tells me you have a bee in your bonnet about this.
    Well, it's the mixed messages and lack of consistency. Is this to be taken seriously or not?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

RichN95. said:

That's a trvia question to keep me occupied. Merckx, Hinault, Indurain, Froome, Anquetil, Bobet. Does Armstrong count I wonder? Also the Yellow Jersey didn't exist until 1919

Apparently he's the 6th rider to have worn all 4 jerseys

If you'd like to consider who the other 5 are I'll try to remember who tweeted the stat :)

David Millar is the one that immediately comes to mind
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    To give Carlton his due when MVP was in bits post race and was unable to give an interview he didn’t try to talk over and just said to Sean Kelly “ well what is there to say after that Sean “ or the like.
    He like the rest of us seemed to have realised we had seen something magnificent.
  • Pross
    Green and KOM are the two that seem uncommon to be paired unless the first stage finishes on a climb.
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2021
    Millar, Jalabert, LeMond, Virenque and Bernaudeau. Although Virenque and Jalabert wouldn't have actually worn the jersey as it didn't actually physical exist from 1989-1999.

Hinault didn't as it was restricted to neo-pros (first two seasons) when he won the Tour
  • Pross
    Jalabert was the one I would have guessed at but didn't know if he'd worn white (would have if it existed). Considered Virenque but couldn't imagine him taking green at any point.
  • webboo
    Pross said:

. Considered Virenque but couldn't imagine him taking green at any point.

I surprised he didn’t take green as he appeared to take anything that was available ;)
  • RichN95.
    Pross said:

Jalabert was the one I would have guessed at but didn't know if he'd worn white (would have if it existed). Considered Virenque but couldn't imagine him taking green at any point.

In 1992. It started in San Sebastien and the first two stages were quite hilly.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    webboo said:

Pross said:

. Considered Virenque but couldn't imagine him taking green at any point.

I surprised he didn’t take green as he appeared to take anything that was available ;)
    There's a reason they called him "the housewife's favourite"...
  • webboo
    I would have thought he be more the house husband’s favourite. Am I allowed to say he was such a t*rt.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    And a cyclocross group on Facebook suggests that MvdP is the first world CX champion since 1978. Peter Thaler riding for Raleigh (I’ve not checked this)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited June 2021
    First current CX World Champ in Yellow since 1978 I assume?

(or first CX World Champ stage winner...? Maybe Stybar?)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    RichN95. said:

Millar, Jalabert, LeMond, Virenque and Bernaudeau. Although Virenque and Jalabert wouldn't have actually worn the jersey as it didn't actually physical exist from 1989-1999.

Hinault didn't as it was restricted to neo-pros (first two seasons) when he won the Tour

Yup

In fairness the stat is led the classification, I've incorrectly paraphrased as worn the jerseys

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    ddraver said:

First current CX World Champ in Yellow since 1978 I assume?

(or first CX World Champ stage winner...? Maybe Stybar?)

Wout Van Aert.
  • ddraver
    Is that for definite? I'm not fact-checking my random guess but I'd have thought WvA's road career pre-dated his TdF career
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.

Yup

In fairness the stat is led the classification, I've incorrectly paraphrased as worn the jerseys

All six have also won a daily Combativity Award as well.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    ddraver said:

Is that for definite? I'm not fact-checking my random guess but I'd have thought WvA's road career pre-dated his TdF career

I might have misinterpreted what you were asking. MVDP is the first CX World Champ to win a Tour stage since WVA, but re-reading it, I think you meant reigning CX WC, and Wout's last WC win was 2018, so he hasn't won a Tour stage as reigning CX WC.
  • ddraver
    If Mr. Boy183 could perhaps clarify his post... ;)

I assume he means reigning CX WC in Yellow, but that got me wondering (whilst the football is a bit dull) if it could also be stage wins..?!?
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2021
    It must mean be a XC WC and wear Yellow. It mentions Peter Thaler, who won a stage an wore yellow in 1978, and then later was XC WC in 1985 & 1987. So not while WC.

Several have been WC and won stages since - Stybar, WVA, Boom, Arnould, Richard and VDP senior. So the last is probably actually his dad.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver