TDF 2021:- Stage 2, Perros-Guirec > Mûr-de-Bretagne Guerlédan 183.5 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    That tractor wheel bike in a field was bloody impressive.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    RichN95. said:

Most consecutive yellow jerseys without a win?

Andre Darrigade: Four 1956-1959 (also1961 & 1962)
    Facts !
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • focuszing723
    Ten out of ten for effort.
  • focuszing723
  • mididoctors
    Lot of effort for one point
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lot of effort for one point

Gets the sponsors logos on camera though :D
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    RichN95. said:

There's no-one else from the 21st Century. The others are LeMond, Zoetemelk, Knetemann, Darrigade, Wagtmans, Frantz and Bottechia. Also Francois Faber who predates the Jersey itself

So only three who never won the Tour.

I'm surprised Magne and Leducq aren't among the few.

Re Franz Faber, he was GC leader in the years 1909, 1910 and 1911 (and overall winner in 1909), but (as you've said) never wore yellow as it hadn't been introduced. Faber was from Luxembourg and killed in WW1.
    Luxembourg, although occupied by Germany, was neutral in WW1, so Faber joined the French Foreign Legion, reputedly having said that France had brought him fame and fortune, so he had to defend it. Tour creator and organiser, Henri Desgrange, publically praised Faber for this attitude in an edition of L'Auto (precursor of L'Equipe).
    However, Faber was killed on his first day in combat, on the very first day of the 6-week long Battle of Loretto (also called the Second Battle of Artois). He was fatally shot when he went to help a wounded colleague.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Theory - Cavendish was interested in that intermediate sprint more for practice with Mørkøv than any points or bragging rights. Didn't really drive all the way to the line. Ewan looked sharp though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    Rowe on the front of the Ineos train for the first time I've seen, maybe predicting a crosswind opportunity coming up? Probably just me being optimistic.
  • Pross
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Who took the first KoM?

They haven't had one yet.
    Didn't think I'd missed it but they showed a profile with the arrow further forward than the first climb. Just trying to confuse me obviously.
    Having seen the graphic again I understand my error now. The number for the climb category isn't above the actual climb, there's a fine and barely visible line to the relevant point.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Pross said:

Switched to itv4 because I can't stand Kirby, but the adverts!! Peloton covered 3km during the show followed by 3km during the ad break...

I'm not a fan of CK but he's been fairly tolerable in this mid stage slot. Probably preferable to ITV who get all their advert committments in ahead of the action.
    Unfortunately Hatch said he will be back for the finale, so it will be the 2 - 4's for me.
    Hopeful ITV 4 and S4C will not have coordinated ad breaks.
    What a sorry state of affairs.

Looking increasingly murky out there.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Flares seem to be becoming more and more popular (and not in a 70s revival way). Hopefully we never end up with an injury resulting from them.
  • Pross
    It's gone a bit messy on the front.
  • mididoctors
    That's a lot of glycogen
  • Pross
    Schelling got inside Perez's head there.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Schelling got inside Perez's head there.

👆this
  • blazing_saddles
    Schelling adding much entertainment value to these early KoM skirmishes.
    Certainly not pretty but he out lasted Perez there.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    edited June 2021
    Perez needs to work on keeping more aero while sprinting.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    Wonder if JA had a bit of an issue? DQS disappeared from the front and he was sitting very near the back.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    You'd love to play poker against Schelling, wouldn't you? Absolutely incapable of hiding what's going on in his mind. Really enjoying watching him.
  • I’m liking this Schelling fella, nice and entertaining B)
  • Pross
    The Direct Energie rider seems to have an issue with Schelling which seems a bit rich considering he sat on his wheel to get across to the break and Schelling is competing for a jersey.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,924
    MvdP mechanical
  • mididoctors
    Someone from the peloton attacking early ...lot of people with time
  • Pross
    Theuns doing Schelling a favour. Both Perez and Schelling looking like their efforts are taking a toll now though.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Taking a toll or have they just knocked it off? The big boys will be thinking about the bonus seconds on the first run over the finish so the break are unlikely to be allowed to be out front on the 4th cat beforehand. Once Theuns is up the road and can't be pulled back there's nothing to fight for any more.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Ide Schelling is such a hipster he used to ride with my hipster coffee shop club in The Hague.

David Millar made an interesting point about MvdP on his first tour and him perhaps not understanding that he can sit at the back until 1km to go like he usually does at The Tour...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross

Taking a toll or have they just knocked it off? The big boys will be thinking about the bonus seconds on the first run over the finish so the break are unlikely to be allowed to be out front on the 4th cat beforehand. Once Theuns is up the road and can't be pulled back there's nothing to fight for any more.

They looked a bit shot. Schelling in particular put a huge amount into it today, hopefully he has done enough but one of the big riders could pick up the points to leapfrog him
  • mididoctors
    edited June 2021
    It's weird seeing the crowds again
  • blazing_saddles
    Gran Premio Città di Lugano

1 MOSCON Gianni
    2 CONTI Valerio
    3 HERMANS Ben

Another win for Moscon.
    Ineos have started the afternoon well at least.