TDF 2021:- Stage 2, Perros-Guirec > Mûr-de-Bretagne Guerlédan 183.5 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    ddraver said:

JA too deep yesterday or illegal feed..?

I'm not convinced he is in top form (obviously still in good form though) and knew his best bet of getting in yellow was to go all in yesterday.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Pross said:

Were there bonus seconds at the finish? I thought they were on the first ascent. Is MVDP in yellow or not?

ITV said yes to bonus secs on the line.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Pross said:

Were there bonus seconds at the finish? I thought they were on the first ascent. Is MVDP in yellow or not?

He is in yellow the first passage had bonus secs too
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    So, where was WVA?
    7th place..................................................Jonas Vingegaard
    Not in the top 20.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross

Pross said:

I thought it was only on the first passage, hadn't realised they were doubled up. In yellow by 8". Also in polka so Schelling's efforts were for nothing. So much for the predictions of JA staying in yellow for a long time.

Agree with CK, these sorts of stages in the first few days are a far better way of getting gaps than a TT.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Amazing
  • rick_chasey
    Same result in the football please
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    Pross said:

Pross said:

I thought it was only on the first passage, hadn't realised they were doubled up. In yellow by 8". Also in polka so Schelling's efforts were for nothing. So much for the predictions of JA staying in yellow for a long time.

Agree with CK, these sorts of stages in the first few days are a far better way of getting gaps than a TT.
    Bonus 10 seconds for the win, innit.

Ineos have Carapaz now in 18th and Thomas down to 20th on GC.
    More significantly he's 28" behind Pogacar after 2 stages.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    In all seriousness real shame mvdp didn’t do it yesterday as today everyone in Holland is watching the football
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    orraloon said:

Aw man, he's in bits in that interview. What a rider.

Feeling quite emotional myself also!

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Beautiful. Simply beautiful.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Pog is going to win this Tour
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    I thought he was showing his naivety again when he attacked on the first climb.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Vingegaard is Roglic's shadow. He's always going to be close to him, as his job is basically to ride his spare bike - same size and setup.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross said:

I thought he was showing his naivety again when he attacked on the first climb.

He was a man with a plan, who clearly knew he had the legs today. Superb ride.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    He said himself he took a gamble in the interview.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    He's an absolute monster.

Insanely dominant.
  • kingstongraham
    Commentary was abysmal, obviously.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    He needed the bonus seconds. Was all or nothing since it was his only chance of getting yellow.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • kingstongraham

Dunno. Ned and Dave didn't call a single thing wrong during the first climb.
    Fair point. CK thought he was hitting out for the stage win, and didn't mention the bonus seconds once. Then thought he was all done for the day, then thought the 2km 90 degree turn was being taken with 3.7km to go.
  • rick_chasey
    Are they in France?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    edited June 2021
    Of course more pedantic types would point out that Ned and Dave didn't call anything during the first climb...

Still, a poppy lottery, eh? Glad I didn't miss out hearing about that.
  • Pross

Dunno. Ned and Dave didn't call a single thing wrong during the first climb.
    Fair point. CK thought he was hitting out for the stage win, and didn't mention the bonus seconds once. Then thought he was all done for the day, then thought the 2km 90 degree turn was being taken with 3.7km to go.
    To be fair it didn't occur to me at the time. I didn't think anyone would be able to go twice so going so long for the bonus seconds and then coming back was an unexpected tactic I think.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Are they in France?

ITV are in Kent again
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Ned & David too?

Might explain it. I often think they are better when they can hear all the other nations talking into their mics - sort of hive mind mutually helping each other
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Ned & David too?

Might explain it. I often think they are better when they can hear all the other nations talking into their mics - sort of hive mind mutually helping each other

Yes
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325

Ned & David too?

I think it certainly helps to be able to talk about things with their colleagues from other countries, whose interest is naturally on other riders. Twitter fills some of the gap, but the last year has seen noticeably fewer "I was talking to someone from X, and they were saying..." digressions that give more insight into particular riders or what's happening on screen.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah.

Also if the Italian guy is screaming Formalo down the mic Ned probably doesn’t mistake him for Pog
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447

In all seriousness real shame mvdp didn’t do it yesterday as today everyone in Holland is watching the football

They should have trusted in MVDP.