Euro 2020/21 (more football, sorry Brian)

Comments

• womack
    womack Posts: 566
    elbowloh said:

That Isak fella looked a real handful mainly you didn't know what he was going to do next and neither did he.

Kept trying little tricks, that didn't quite come off, but theyd bounce off his shin or a defenders shin and suddenly he's gone past 3 defenders. Created a couple of really good chances that Sweden should have scored from.

Very surprised they took him off as he was really the only "out ball"
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    Safe to say that Sweden were happy to go for the draw.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    womack said:

MattFalle said:

womack said:

Didn’t Portugal win the thing without ever winning a match in 90 minutes?

They did play better than us and score more goals and defend better and beat us in the semi final in 90 minutes, but got out of their group with three draws and obviously only three points and went on to win it.
    ftfy
    Matt....Us is Wales...the team you usually shout for at rugby.
    and?

Portugal won. Wales (we) lost

my amendments to your post stand.

You mean because of national affiliation you are prepared to ignore historical fact?

I no understand
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

womack said:

MattFalle said:

womack said:

They did play better than us and score more goals and defend better and beat us in the semi final in 90 minutes, but got out of their group with three draws and obviously only three points and went on to win it.
    ftfy
    You're not suggesting MF isn't afraid of a bit of glory hunting are you? 😉
    You know better E - MF calls reality reality.

You can't polish something that can't be polished.

Portugal won.
    We lost.

End of.
  • womack
    MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

womack said:

MattFalle said:

womack said:

ftfy

Portugal won.
    We lost.

End of.
    So who will you be siding with next week in Rome?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I stopped watching at half time last night, was rather surprised to see it finished 0-0.
    85% possession for Spain apparently.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,933
    edited June 2021
    Spain had 10 Ray Wilkins's on the pitch.

For the children on here, he was THE master of the sideways pass.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    pblakeney said:

Safe to say that Sweden were happy to go for the draw.

They always are. Biggest spoilers in international football.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416

The crab 👍
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MattFalle
    womack said:

MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

womack said:

MattFalle said:

womack said:

ftfy

Portugal won.
    We lost.

End of.
    So who will you be siding with next week in Rome?
    Italy. I'm Italian. Italy first, Wales second, England never.

Always has been, always will be.
  • Ben6899
    seanoconn said:

The crab 👍

David Batty
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    Ben6899 said:

seanoconn said:

The crab 👍

David Batty
    Who the hell remembers a player like David batty!? 😂
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Ben6899
    Someone who grew up 15miles from - and hating everything to do with - Leeds United. 🤣
    Ben

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

I stopped watching at half time last night, was rather surprised to see it finished 0-0.
    85% possession for Spain apparently.

Second half they created less and Sweden missed a tap in at the far post - seemed to be crying out for Traore to come on - maybe they see him as more a player who works against a high line.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Felt a bit like the Spain of old before they won everything.
  • MattFalle
    was spain just tiki-taka'ing it all around: great movement and possession but absolutely nothing at the end of it.

Sweden will be happy with the result.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    MattFalle said:

was spain just tiki-taka'ing it all around: great movement and possession but absolutely nothing at the end of it.

I wouldn't say the movement was all that, especially in the second half. They looked really hot. It wasn't sideways though.

They had a lot of possession but that was partly a function of Sweden not wanting it and Spain being happy to have it.

The Spanish finishing was appalling. They need a proper striker.

Then again they had that corona scare so it wasn't a full strength 11.
  • womack

MattFalle said:

I wouldn't say the movement was all that, especially in the second half. They looked really hot. It wasn't sideways though.

They had a lot of possession but that was partly a function of Sweden not wanting it and Spain being happy to have it.

I believe Sweden had two missing also due to covid positive.

Thought the bloke Danielson?? or something like that was immense in the heart of the Swedish defence.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    W

Amazes me how Iniesta and Xavi still aren’t properly appreciated despite the massive drop off in performances for both Barcelona and Spain
  • rick_chasey

W

Amazes me how Iniesta and Xavi still aren’t properly appreciated despite the massive drop off in performances for both Barcelona and Spain
    Meh, Brits don't appreciate Carrick either - when I was on holiday there one time I caught a documentary just on him where they referred to him as the "English Pirlo". It's just the role they play.

It's not chest-thumping body-on-the-line box-to-box leader-of-men scores the winner etc.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

W

Meh, Brits don't appreciate Carrick either - when I was on holiday there one time I caught a documentary just on him where they referred to him as the "English Pirlo". It's just the role they play.

It's not chest-thumping body-on-the-line box-to-box leader-of-men scores the winner etc.
    I don't think that's true at all. Many football fans do appreciate this type of player. Have you considered that Carrick just wasn't as good as you think he was?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,388
    edited June 2021
    Edit
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,388
    womack said:

MattFalle said:

I believe Sweden had two missing also due to covid positive.

Thought the bloke Danielson?? or something like that was immense in the heart of the Swedish defence.

He was also great in Karate Kid . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    elbowloh said:

W

I don't think that's true at all. Many football fans do appreciate this type of player. Have you considered that Carrick just wasn't as good as you think he was?
    It was a while back but I read something about Utd's ELO score with and without him on the pitch when he was fit and in the squad and it was night and day.

He really was that good.

I remember in the back-to-back champions league final runs Xavi was gushing over how much he rated Carrick.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

elbowloh said:

W

It was a while back but I read something about Utd's ELO score with and without him on the pitch when he was fit and in the squad and it was night and day.

He really was that good.
    Or could mean that the replacements were truly terrible or that the system united played was reliant on Carrick's style of play.

Sod the ELO score, what was the points per game ratio. You, know points are what actually matters.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

elbowloh said:

W

He really was that good.
    He suffered from overlapping his career with Paul Scholes at the same club. For as long as Scholes could avoid getting himself sent off in any given game, he was a far better passer of the ball than basically anyone else.

But you are right, that the British fans seem to over-appreciate the likes of Gerrard, because they run around like headless chickens and flail their arms around enthusiastically. Bear in mind that these are the same supporters who get excited about corners, despite about a 1% chance of a goal.
  • Ben6899
    edited June 2021

W

Amazes me how Dr Eufemiano Fuentes isn't properly appreciated despite the massive drop off in performances for both Barcelona and Spain
    I agree.

*my edit in bold

Ben

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    Ben6899 said:

W

Amazes me how Dr Eufemiano Fuentes isn't properly appreciated despite the massive drop off in performances for both Barcelona and Spain
    I agree.

There was a reason for his client's names being kept hidden. I have long suspected it is because the names were too big in Spain.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ben6899
    edited June 2021
    pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

W

I agree.

*my edit in bold

There was a reason for his client's names being kept hidden. I have long suspected it is because the names were too big in Spain.

The whole thing stinks. Anyone that's played football at any level would agree it's blatantly obvious that those Spain and Barcelona teams were doping.
    Ben

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Ben6899 said:

W

I agree.

a bit off to not make clear that I did not write that