Euro 2020/21 (more football, sorry Brian)

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    Ben6899 said:

Christ. Losing 0-2 to Czech Republic.

This is Scotland you’re talking about.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    ddraver said:

Getting over-excited...

(at least that's what tended to happen to me during my illustrious goalkeeping career 😐)

Exactly, itching to get involved. Well he certainly did 😂
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    seanoconn said:

Ben6899 said:

This is Scotland you’re talking about.

Oh I'm well aware of how it happened. :lol:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

Why was the keeper so far out? They don't really operate with him as a sweeper keeper do they? Also, Henry, you can't give the ball away there.

Scotland only had one shot on target so far.

He was only just past the penalty spot, so not really very far out. Just an outstanding piece of skill and quick thinking from Schick.
    He was halfway to the centre circle!
    Oh yeah, so he was! Actually further forward than that - almost on the centre circle. I was just assuming from the one angle I saw and how he'd made it back.

What the hell was he doing?

Keepers often go a long way out. Very rarely does anyone even get a shot away let alone a good shot. Think about all the times keepers go up for corners and how rarely the opposition manages to score despite the empty goal.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Ben6899 said:

coach should be sacked for this bad result, though where you find another one mid-tournament when there are so few people in the Czech Republic
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Usual pattern. Lose the first, tick. Now to draw the 2nd 😉, win the 3rd but go out on goal difference. Rinse and repeat.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

Why was the keeper so far out? They don't really operate with him as a sweeper keeper do they? Also, Henry, you can't give the ball away there.

Scotland only had one shot on target so far.

He was only just past the penalty spot, so not really very far out. Just an outstanding piece of skill and quick thinking from Schick.
    He was halfway to the centre circle!
    Oh yeah, so he was! Actually further forward than that - almost on the centre circle. I was just assuming from the one angle I saw and how he'd made it back.

What the hell was he doing?

Keepers often go a long way out. Very rarely does anyone even get a shot away let alone a good shot. Think about all the times keepers go up for corners and how rarely the opposition manages to score despite the empty goal.

It was just perfection from Schick.
  • seanoconn
    orraloon said:

Usual pattern. Lose the first, tick. Now to draw the 2nd 😉, win the 3rd but go out on goal difference. Rinse and repeat.

Lose the second draw the 3rd 😉
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    orraloon said:

Difference is, top 3 qualify I think?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    I'd forgotten that the first 2 weeks is to whittle it down from 24 teams to 16.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

I'd forgotten that the first 2 weeks is to whittle it down from 24 teams to 16.

if they upped it to 48 teams there would be somebody for Scotland to beat
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    They ought to just do away with qualifying and have a giant knock out competition. It is now harder not to qualify than to qualify.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    orraloon said:

Bit optimistic aren't you?
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

They ought to just do away with qualifying and have a giant knock out competition. It is now harder not to qualify than to qualify.

Scotland will manage.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Didn’t Portugal win the thing without ever winning a match in 90 minutes?
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566

They did unfortunately beat us in the semi final in 90 minutes, but got out of their group with three draws and obviously only three points and went on to win it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    edited June 2021

Ben6899 said:

coach should be sacked for this bad result, though where you find another one mid-tournament when there are so few people in the Czech Republic
    Scotland couldn't afford that policy. They'd need to find one before Friday, and then another on Saturday, then another after next Tuesday.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    orraloon said:

Never mind Loon, Wee Nippy will ask for a replay. 'Tis the will of the Scottish people innit?
  • ballysmate
    Plus, I'm sure you can find a way to blame Boris.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    My brother says he was too young to remember football in the 80's but feels that watching Scotland gives him a chance to experience football from that era.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

My brother says he was too young to remember football in the 80's but feels that watching Scotland gives him a chance to experience football from that era.

Nonsense!
    Scotland had some good players in the 80's.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    Some very confident England fans on here convinced they'll beat the Sweaties on Friday. Pride before a fall and all that...
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Sweden are helping to make Spain look as good as they were in 2008
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    womack said:

They did play better than us and score more goals and defend better and beat us in the semi final in 90 minutes, but got out of their group with three draws and obviously only three points and went on to win it.
    ftfy
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect

Some very confident England fans on here convinced they'll beat the Sweaties on Friday. Pride before a fall and all that...

Scotland are the worst team I've seen so far in the competition. England aren't. That's pretty much it.

Scotland will do okay on Friday because it's against England. But they will scurry around a lot and more likely than not, achieve little.

Could be 0-0.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    MattFalle said:

womack said:

They did play better than us and score more goals and defend better and beat us in the semi final in 90 minutes, but got out of their group with three draws and obviously only three points and went on to win it.
    ftfy
    Matt....Us is Wales...the team you usually shout for at rugby.
  • elbowloh
    womack said:

MattFalle said:

womack said:

ftfy
    Matt....Us is Wales...the team you usually shout for at rugby.
    You're not suggesting MF isn't afraid of a bit of glory hunting are you? 😉
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    That Isak fella looked a real handful mainly you didn't know what he was going to do next and neither did he.

Kept trying little tricks, that didn't quite come off, but theyd bounce off his shin or a defenders shin and suddenly he's gone past 3 defenders. Created a couple of really good chances that Sweden should have scored from.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    elbowloh said:

That Isak fella looked a real handful mainly you didn't know what he was going to do next and neither did he.

Kept trying little tricks, that didn't quite come off, but theyd bounce off his shin or a defenders shin and suddenly he's gone past 3 defenders. Created a couple of really good chances that Sweden should have scored from.

He put one at the feet of a sweden player 6 yards out and he missed from there. He looks good and unpredictable.
  • First.Aspect
    God that was dull. Low quality tiki taka.