Educashun ain't wot it used to be...

12345679»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

maybe I am going to inadvertently answer the question in the topic subject line but if that was written in my contract i would see it as a part time job as by my maths it is a 6 hour day 4 days a week.

Every teacher’s contract specifies 1295 hours per year over 195 days (directed time, under the control of the head teacher).

Just did a quick check of my contracted hours and taking into account my (very generous by private sector) annual leave plus bank holidays it would be 1672.5 hours per year so 29% higher by my reckoning.
    My standard was 2070 hours. 45 x 46 weeks but I was hourly paid, so no unpaid OT.
    Tapering down now so only 1702, 37 x 46 weeks.
    Interesting that I consider this as low hours since I spent years doing 55 hours as standard and 60+ was not uncommon.
    I can see the attraction if contracting on an hourly rate. Doing it to maximise profits for a PLC is a mug's game.
    It is not that black and white, it gets noticed if you act like a ‘70s car worker and do the bare minimum. I don’t work ina long hours culture so I am talking 09:15 rather than 09:30 and 17:45 rather than 17:30.

We can earn commission equal to more than half of basic so you are not just working to profit the man.

in my experience if you want to get on in life you have to go above and beyond the bare minimum.
    Yeah, I'm talking more the people who boast of 50 hour weeks making money for other people. One I used to work with did such long hours his wife came into the office to complain to the MD. Thing is the reason he was having to take work home was he spent so much time talking to others in the office and making mistakes he had to correct.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    When I first qualified as a nurse and went to work in a community mental health team despite being desperately keen to do well. I was horrified to find some of the senior staff would work way past our finishing time of 5pm. It turned out some of them were having affairs with each other and one other would do anything to avoid going home to wife and kids.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,615
    pblakeney said:

in my experience if you want to get on in life you have to go above and beyond the bare minimum.

In the contracting game you don't do unpaid hours but if your productivity isn't up to scratch then you won't last long. I consider that to be more efficient.
    Not all jobs work like this, obviously.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,626
    elbowloh said:

The quality of the hours matters as well. I charge by the hour and so if I'm on the clock for a bit of work there is a minimum level of productivity I can get away with. I'm washed out after a regular 40 hour week, and in a state of mania if I have a lot more than that on for a few weeks.

Based on the lab report and exam scrip marking I had to do as a TA at uni, that was considerably less intense. Teaching in the lab was a doddle, but those were older students. Whenever I had a high maintenance class it was a window into actual teaching. Defo not for me. But I know enough to know that not all teachers' subjects will be equal.

As a scientist and in R&D, I generally found a lot more pondering time was available. This meant a 9 or 10 hour day was much less draining than 8 hours of what I do now.

The number of hours thing is largely man-points anyway.

Since I've been in a profession that literally counts what you produce in £, my perspective has changed even further from measuring input (hours spent) to measuring actual output (what you actually produce, however long you are at your desk).

I didn't know you worked at the mint.
    I do okay in the grand scheme of things, but largely I print money for my boss. His only hobby is work, though, so I'm not sure when he will be able to spend any of it.