Giro 2021:- Stage 11: Perugia – Montalcino 162 km

12345679»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146
    The Almeida / Remco situation yesterday felt a bit like Wiggins / Froome in 2012 at times especially when Almeida had finally dropped back then managed to ride away from him again before looking over his shoulder in a 'come on, keep up' sort of way.
  • Pross

Dan Martin didn't want to take the risk on the gravel and rode his own pace.

That's a bit disappointing, he was still in touch for the GC. You're not going to win a GT without being prepared to take some risks especially if you don't have a strong time trial.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Pross said:

The Almeida / Remco situation yesterday felt a bit like Wiggins / Froome in 2012 at times especially when Almeida had finally dropped back then managed to ride away from him again before looking over his shoulder in a 'come on, keep up' sort of way.

Goes without saying that if he hadn't lost 5 minutes a week earlier, he wouldn't have had to.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

jimmyjams said:

I wouldn't criticise anyone's tips before the stage - I don't think any of them were especially stupid with the benefit solely of foresight.

I don't think anybody was being critical, more just analysing my picks.
    I am getting a bit worried that my "favourites for the stage" lists are starting to look a bit Kirby-like: I am now whatabouting half the peloton! :D
    I wasn't being critical, just as you say reporting. I also recognise there was some merit in suggesting, as well as the obvious GC favourites, people like Formolo, Bettiol, even Vermeersch as well as Moscon and ("I felt good, I had a chance to beat the best, but I had to follow orders to wait for Remco. Do I feel disappointed? I'd rather be silent than say what I think“) Almeida, had Mo and Al been free of team duties.

I recognise it is not easy to suggest winners – in last year's Giro or Tour (I forget which) when the challenge was thrown out for someone else to suggest winners, I was the only one to give it a go, so I know how hard it is. And I think my suggestions only fared about the same as the 'official' favourites in that day's preview/spoiler thread, no better.

Keep up the good work! And thanks.
    Is that what Moscon actually said? What a git.
    I know Moson is a soft target for criticism but why would he be waiting for Remco?
    JJ's post clearly attributes the quote to Joao Almeida.
    Oh yes, I thought it was about Bernal for some reason (because I am an idiot).

In my defence I have had pretty bad food poisoning the past 2 days so not on top form...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    r0bh said:

Dan Martin lost almost 10 minutes :o

He's still 'only' just over 7 minutes down on GC so presumably not.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Pross said:

r0bh said:

Dan Martin lost almost 10 minutes :o

He's still 'only' just over 7 minutes down on GC so presumably not.
    Ah yes, it was almost 10 mins behind the stage winner, not a 10 mins loss on GC. Speed reading twitter :s
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Not great for the rest of the race.

A lot can happen . Bernal is making a lot of big explosive efforts
    Who's got the pedigree to get even close - or even the ambition to?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

Yates?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    gsk82 said:

Yates?
    My PTP hopes rest on it. 😉
    But then my PTP is dying anyway. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bobmcstuff
    Bernal's back might explode - he was sitting up and holding it earlier today. But that would be pretty disappointing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Re. Dan Martin. I can understand a man with a family, at the tail-end of his career, promising his wife he wouldn't take risks and crash.

But I don't understand pushing for the first week and a bit to stay in the top 10,knowing that stage was coming.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited May 2021

Re. Dan Martin. I can understand a man with a family, at the tail-end of his career, promising his wife he wouldn't take risks and crash.

But I don't understand pushing for the first week and a bit to stay in the top 10,knowing that stage was coming.

The guy says over and over how much he loves riding GC and I believe him, but it's such a waste when he's so much better at one dayers. He's really good at them. Smart rider, tactically very astute, fairly decent kick for the type of rider he is.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

I thought this - they didn't keep it a secret, go ride a different race or ride for stages from the start.
  • Pross

Thing is, if you are taking that attitude you may as well call it a day. You're not going to win if you ease off on every descent or tricky road surface.
  • bobmcstuff
    He's lost quite a few team mates now anyway hasn't he, ISN must be down to 5?

De Marchi, Dowsett, Neilands
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    He's had a fair few crashes on descents and at least one serious injury. I don't know if that has played a part - it'd be human to be affected - the trouble is most humans wouldn't be able to do what pro cyclists do.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,809
    Not seen the point made about Remco, while his counterparts were learning bike handling skills, he was playing football.

Similar to MVDP, in that he hasn't needed to have skills or tactics like that to win in the past, as he's just been the strongest guy in the race
  • bobmcstuff

Not seen the point made about Remco, while his counterparts were learning bike handling skills, he was playing football.

Similar to MVDP, in that he hasn't needed to have skills or tactics like that to win in the past, as he's just been the strongest guy in the race

Was made on the cycling podcast... seems a fair point.

Especially compared to riders like Bernal who come from an offroad background.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

On the other hand they are both sons of ex-pros (ex-teammates in fact), so you'd think they'd grow up with some knowledge being imparted.
    Twitter: @RichN95