Giro 2021:- Stage 11: Perugia – Montalcino 162 km

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Pink pee time, so that is that.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,932
    Comfort break. Didn't their mothers ever tell them to go before they left 😀
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Toilet time, that's the break sorted for the day then. Some of these riders must have tiny bladders, they've only been on the bikes a few minutes.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

Teams with riders in the break are helping Ineos to sit on potential late breakaway artists.
    I am surprised that things appear to have been settled so soon.....

It's a hard day ahead - there's probably been a degree of agreement about what will happen at the start, rather than everyone burning themselves out for 90km.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Plenty of teams who still have gc ambitions not wanting it too hard too early?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Pross said:

Toilet time, that's the break sorted for the day then. Some of these riders must have tiny bladders, they've only been on the bikes a few minutes.

This is essentially my only physical similarity to pro riders
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Pross said:

I imagine that there is a lot of time wasted faffing about before they get rolling.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    50km of nothing much except the scenery then, until the pace picks up.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Pross said:

Picking up on Simon Yates saying there isn't a place a stage like this in a GT. Eurosport opinion is also split, but imo that argument be used by lesser climbers for the likes of Zoncolan etc.
    Eurosport opinion also split over whether Bettiol will get a free hand for the stage or not. I suppose EF have Carr, who was 9th in Strade Bianche this year, but I can't see Moscon getting let off the Ineos leash. Given his form, he would have been my pick for today. I certainly don't agree with Dan Lloyd that Sagan could be in the mix, unless he first makes it into the right breakaway.

Rob Hatch has just mentioned there is a possibility later for the "R" word to fall.

I was just thinking how opinion is usually split on here when they chuck a "Paris-Roubaix" stage into the Tour whereas this stage seems to be generally seen as a highlight of the race.
    Sean Yates definitely isn't a fan, FWIW
  • Pross
    They might want to think about the gap they're letting go here after last time. Ineos would probably be happy to leave the stage win to the break though I guess.
  • Pross
    Actually it wasn't that stage where a big bunch got a massive gap was it?
  • blazing_saddles
    I think Ineos are happy to gift the stage to this harmless breakaway
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

Pross said:

Picking up on Simon Yates saying there isn't a place a stage like this in a GT. Eurosport opinion is also split, but imo that argument be used by lesser climbers for the likes of Zoncolan etc.
    Eurosport opinion also split over whether Bettiol will get a free hand for the stage or not. I suppose EF have Carr, who was 9th in Strade Bianche this year, but I can't see Moscon getting let off the Ineos leash. Given his form, he would have been my pick for today. I certainly don't agree with Dan Lloyd that Sagan could be in the mix, unless he first makes it into the right breakaway.

Rob Hatch has just mentioned there is a possibility later for the "R" word to fall.

I was just thinking how opinion is usually split on here when they chuck a "Paris-Roubaix" stage into the Tour whereas this stage seems to be generally seen as a highlight of the race.
    I suspect this gravel nonsense will disappear from grand tours once a really big name loses a race because of a puncture on it. It's fine for the occasional one day race, but not a grand tour. Cobbles however, are part of road cycling history.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Pross said:

Actually it wasn't that stage where a big bunch got a massive gap was it?

Few days after, and that breakaway had the likes of Wiggins and Sastre in it.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/petrov-wins-epic-giro-stage-11-as-gc-race-turns-on-its-head-60769
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    gsk82 said:

Pross said:

I suspect this gravel nonsense will disappear from grand tours once a really big name loses a race because of a puncture on it. It's fine for the occasional one day race, but not a grand tour. Cobbles however, are part of road cycling history.
    By inference, this isn't part of road cycling history.

Mind you, Lapize famously wasn't a fan either...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    gsk82 said:

Pross said:

Wait, what?

What do you think the roads were made of before tarmac was ubiquitous, especially in the mountains?
  • blazing_saddles
    gsk82 said:

Pross said:

What are you talking about?
    Both cobblestones and gravel are part of cycling history.
    Both were extensively used in road building before asphalt etc.
  • pblakeney
    Always dodgy to refer to history if you don't know the history.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • blazing_saddles
    I can't recall Simon Yates complaining about the 10 kms of gravel road atop the Colle delle Finestre. (seeing what happened perhaps he should have) :*
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    But is an argument against their inclusion not that in the past this type of surface was the only one available, roads then improved, races utilised sealed surfaces yet organisers are now attempting to turn the clock back when they do not have to do so?
  • pblakeney
    andyrr said:

But is an argument against their inclusion not that in the past this type of surface was the only one available, roads then improved, races utilised sealed surfaces yet organisers are now attempting to turn the clock back when they do not have to do so?

That's a different argument to historical. You could pick smooth roads between Paris and Roubaix.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Anyway... about 5km from the first gravel section
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    andyrr said:

I think the more meaningful questions (rather than waving around an almost certainly imagined history) are "does it improve the racing?" and "will it produce a fair outcome?".

It's the tensions between those two, the weight you place on either, and your own guesstimates about the probability of the various possible outcomes that tends to dictate where you end up. If you think it'll be a puncture lottery you'll end up with a different view to someone who thinks that over time these things even up and reward the smarter riders.
  • blazing_saddles
    The break arrive on the first section with very dark clouds forming over them there hills.
  • kingstongraham
    Kluge already looks like he hates this, doesn't he?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Adverts!!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Managed to finish up early . Looks like I have timed in just the right time ... 14 mins for the break! What was the start like?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253

I can't recall Simon Yates complaining about the 10 kms of gravel road atop the Colle delle Finestre. (seeing what happened perhaps he should have) :*

Thats how the climb is and there was a prize for being first. But perhaps those roads arent his thing. Like roubaix, some people thrive in that environment
  • kingstongraham

Managed to finish up early . Looks like I have timed in just the right time ... 14 mins for the break! What was the start like?

Break of 11 just went straight from km0. No fight.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,932

Yawn worthy.