Giro 2021:- Stage 11: Perugia – Montalcino 162 km

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701

Not great for the rest of the race.

How on Earth do you come to that conclusion?
    Bigger gaps generally make for earlier attacks.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146
    Ciccone blew up big time.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Soler must have absolutely detonated. He upped the pace on the front of the group with about 12km to go, then only beat Evenepoel by 10 seconds.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

Not great for the rest of the race.

A lot can happen . Bernal is making a lot of big explosive efforts
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Ciccone blew up big time.

Behind nibali ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Some long climbs to come.
  • mididoctors
    The last 70 k was super intense
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,809
    Remco lost a simlar amount of time to Bernal today, than Basso did to Evans in 2010. Still a lot of time for things to change
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Dan Martin lost almost 10 minutes :o
  • Pross
    I thought it might be a bit of an anti-climax when Remco was allowed to get back after the first gravel section. They seemed content for a while to just ride on. Glad to be proved wrong though.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

Remco lost a simlar amount of time to Bernal today, than Basso did to Evans in 2010. Still a lot of time for things to change

As in that race, we have the Zoncolan on the menu too.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

I just hope he isn't making the same mistake as Yates did a few years ago and burning too many matches.

Maybe, but I don't think there's anyone of the stature of Froome or the consistency of Dumoulin in the field behind him. It's Bernal v Bernal's back at the moment.
    Tomorrow's stage with two cat 2 climbs isn't too hard, according to inrng, then Friday is pan flat sprint stage, so a couple of days restitution before Zoncolan on Saturday. I think he's probably measuring his efforts pretty well
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Basso was a proven GT contender with the best team in the race though. He was also over a minute ahead of Evans before that stage thanks to a TTT.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

I just hope he isn't making the same mistake as Yates did a few years ago and burning too many matches.

Maybe, but I don't think there's anyone of the stature of Froome or the consistency of Dumoulin in the field behind him. It's Bernal v Bernal's back at the moment.
    Tomorrow's stage with two cat 2 climbs isn't too hard, according to inrng, then Friday is pan flat sprint stage, so a couple of days restitution before Zoncolan on Saturday. I think he's probably measuring his efforts pretty well
    Depends how one defines "not too hard", after today's huge effort.
    Over 210 kms and almost 4000 metres of climbing, with again, the majority of it in the second half of the stage. Not that the first half is flat either.
    I think it's an ideal stage for the breakaway again, but I wouldn't completely rule out a team trying something.
  • Pross
    The GC looks quite well poised really. Yates and Carthy could both create problems in the high mountains and Remco can pull quite a bit back in the TT based on the Stage 1 times (with the usual week 3 / unknown performance in a GT caveats) so still lots to play for plus Vlasov within striking distance. There's certainly not much scope for a bad day there yet.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642

Surprised nobody has mentioned Bardet. Might not be in stunning form but he's only 1'21" back and can handle the gravel

Cough, cough.

Favourites 11th stage 2021 Giro d’Italia

*** Egan Bernal, Giulio Ciccone, Davide Formolo, Romain Bardet,
    ** Gianni Moscon, Remco Evenepoel, Aleksandr Vlasov, Diego Ulissi, Alberto Bettiol, Gianluca Brambilla
    * Gianni Vermeersch, Quinten Hermans, Pello Bilbao, João Almeida, Simon Carr

;)
    FWIW Bardet finished together with Remco...
  • mididoctors
    r0bh said:

Dan Martin lost almost 10 minutes :o

Ouff
  • mididoctors
    Well bernal to over cook it or not?
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    dish_dash said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Bardet. Might not be in stunning form but he's only 1'21" back and can handle the gravel

Cough, cough.

** Gianni Moscon, Remco Evenepoel, Aleksandr Vlasov, Diego Ulissi, Alberto Bettiol, Gianluca Brambilla

;)
    In defence of Blazing Saddles, and of Romain Bardet, as far as I noticed, Bardet was with the Bernal group until the last steep climb (when the group started to fall apart as Bernal went after Buchmann), and even then I don't know if it was just too hard for him or if he had a technical hitch.

BS's most off-the-mark *** tip was Formolo, but many experts tipped Formolo to finish top-6 if not as victor. BS's total most off-the-mark tip was Simon Carr (came in 120th).

The rider who most fooled himself was Gianni Vermeersch (came in 80th) who said beforehand “I've dreamed of this stage for weeks. I hope I can get away quickly with a break and have a good day. In the ideal scenario, I'll start the last ascent with a good lead ahead of the favorites“. He never got in the break; the Alpecin man there was Dries De Bondt.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,809
    Surely Vermeesch and Carr are top picks based on the fact they get themselves in the break.

If they don't manage to make the break, they automatically lose their top pick status
  • blazing_saddles
    jimmyjams said:

dish_dash said:

Cough, cough.

;)
    In defence of Blazing Saddles, and of Romain Bardet, as far as I noticed, Bardet was with the Bernal group until the last steep climb (when the group started to fall apart as Bernal went after Buchmann), and even then I don't know if it was just too hard for him or if he had a technical hitch.

BS's most off-the-mark *** tip was Formolo, but many experts tipped Formolo to finish top-6 if not as victor. BS's total most off-the-mark tip was Simon Carr (came in 120th).

Carr was 9th in Strade Bianche this year, at his first attempt, so I thought he was worth a star.
    I expected more from Alpecin's other classics success story: Gianni Vermeersch
    Quinten Hermans was in the lead group quite late on, until he had to give Taaramae his wheel........not that it did much good.

As to the UAE duo of Formolo and Ulissi, we will have to wait for the dust to settle to find out what mishap they suffered.

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    I wouldn't criticise anyone's tips before the stage - I don't think any of them were especially stupid with the benefit solely of foresight.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2021

I wouldn't criticise anyone's tips before the stage - I don't think any of them were especially stupid with the benefit solely of foresight.

I don't think anybody was being critical, more just analysing my picks.
    I am getting a bit worried that my "favourites for the stage" lists are starting to look a bit Kirby-like: I am now whatabouting half the peloton! :D
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

I am getting a bit worried that my "favourites for the stage" lists are starting to look a bit Kirby-like: I am now whatabouting half the peloton! :D
    You need some more puns, and a ton more bidon tooting before you are even close.
    Turbo Durbo as well probably.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    Dan Martin didn't want to take the risk on the gravel and rode his own pace.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

I wasn't being critical, just as you say reporting. I also recognise there was some merit in suggesting, as well as the obvious GC favourites, people like Formolo, Bettiol, even Vermeersch as well as Moscon and ("I felt good, I had a chance to beat the best, but I had to follow orders to wait for Remco. Do I feel disappointed? I'd rather be silent than say what I think“) Almeida, had Mo and Al been free of team duties.

I recognise it is not easy to suggest winners – in last year's Giro or Tour (I forget which) when the challenge was thrown out for someone else to suggest winners, I was the only one to give it a go, so I know how hard it is. And I think my suggestions only fared about the same as the 'official' favourites in that day's preview/spoiler thread, no better.

Keep up the good work! And thanks.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    jimmyjams said:

I wasn't being critical, just as you say reporting. I also recognise there was some merit in suggesting, as well as the obvious GC favourites, people like Formolo, Bettiol, even Vermeersch as well as Moscon and ("I felt good, I had a chance to beat the best, but I had to follow orders to wait for Remco. Do I feel disappointed? I'd rather be silent than say what I think“) Almeida, had Mo and Al been free of team duties.

I recognise it is not easy to suggest winners – in last year's Giro or Tour (I forget which) when the challenge was thrown out for someone else to suggest winners, I was the only one to give it a go, so I know how hard it is. And I think my suggestions only fared about the same as the 'official' favourites in that day's preview/spoiler thread, no better.

Is that what Moscon actually said? What a git.
  • blazing_saddles

jimmyjams said:

I know Moson is a soft target for criticism but why would he be waiting for Remco?
    JJ's post clearly attributes the quote to Joao Almeida.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642

jimmyjams said:

It's what Almeida said
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    edited May 2021
    On the subject of tipping, there was an interesting comment from Ned Boulting on his podcast with David Millar - Matt Rendel had sent him the stage results from a 2019 race featuring gravel, where an even younger Evenepoel had again apparently struggled.

(edit - relevant to tipping as this was apparently before the stage)