2022 Transfers: Rumours & Facts

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,918
    RichN95. said:

I missed this news a few days ago, but according to Lefevere, Peter Sagan's signing demands include also signing an 11 strong entourage as well. Four riders, two soigneurs, two mechanics, one DS, a press officer and a hospitality manager.

No confirmation as two whether he wanted a separate bus with a bowl of M&Ms with all the brown ones removed.

Johan Bruyneel reckons he's going to Direct Energie.

It's a big number but this is fairly normal for big riders isn't it?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,173

RichN95. said:

I missed this news a few days ago, but according to Lefevere, Peter Sagan's signing demands include also signing an 11 strong entourage as well. Four riders, two soigneurs, two mechanics, one DS, a press officer and a hospitality manager.

No confirmation as two whether he wanted a separate bus with a bowl of M&Ms with all the brown ones removed.

It seems excessive to me. What even is a hospitality manager. Nibali has a crew he takes everywhere and Contador had a couple of favoured riders. Froome just took a mechanic to Israel.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,866

RichN95. said:

I can understand a handful of riders and maybe a soigneur and mechanic but that really feels like he wants the whole team built around him. He's not a rider that requires a leadout or a mountain train so it's hard to work out what role they would all fulfill especially as only half of them would be able to ride the same race as him. I'm not quite sure why you would insist on your own press and hospitality manager either.
  • RichN95.
    Sam Bennett is linked to Bora (which makes sense) and Ineos (which doesn’t)
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95. said:

How would he go without a train? He won't get one at Ineos
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,472

RichN95. said:

How would he go without a train? He won't get one at Ineos
    This is a new era. Maybe the boss wants to target everything
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,744
    Why would Sam Bennett return to Bora who were not that positive with him back in 18/19?
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2021
    orraloon said:

Why would Sam Bennett return to Bora who were not that positive with him back in 18/19?

They’ll be more positive if the Grand Old Duke of Bratislava and his 10000 men move on.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,350
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

I can understand a handful of riders and maybe a soigneur and mechanic but that really feels like he wants the whole team built around him. He's not a rider that requires a leadout or a mountain train so it's hard to work out what role they would all fulfill especially as only half of them would be able to ride the same race as him. I'm not quite sure why you would insist on your own press and hospitality manager either.
    He comes off as a rather pleasant bloke off the bike to me (tends to chop others a bit on the bike). Could just be that he wants to be loyal to the people who have been with him through the years and who have hitched their wagon to his.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

It seems excessive to me. What even is a hospitality manager. Nibali has a crew he takes everywhere and Contador had a couple of favoured riders. Froome just took a mechanic to Israel.
    Hospitality makes sense if you think part of the hospitality bit is access to riders etc.
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

Hospitality makes sense if you think part of the hospitality bit is access to riders etc.

Isn’t that what the press officer is for?
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

Isn’t that what the press officer is for?
    No that's to deal with the press...?

Maybe I'm the only one who watches the quick-step "hospitality" videos but a big part of what the punters pay for is to chat to the riders before the race etc. i can imagine getting the right person to handle them when it's Sagan is probably worth the effort.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632

RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

Assumed that with the sponsors he brings, the Hospitality is about hosting them and their guests at races. See more value in that than a dedicated press officer tbh. The team should already have that in place.

Either way, I'm not sure what Sagan would actually bring racing wise to DQS. Would you now back him ahead of Asgreen or Julian A in the classics?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399

Either way, I'm not sure what Sagan would actually bring racing wise to DQS. Would you now back him ahead of Asgreen or Julian A in the classics?

As part of "The Wolfpack™"...Hell yeah I can. Who is going to let Sagan drift up the road? Likewise, who is going to chase for a sprint with him in the group?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    ddraver said:

As part of "The Wolfpack™"...Hell yeah I can. Who is going to let Sagan drift up the road? Likewise, who is going to chase for a sprint with him in the group?
    Jumbo, alpecin, Ineos?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ddraver
    Not so far they don't...
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    ddraver said:

Not so far they don't...

All 3 now have someone to chase for. And all 3 of those are stronger than Sagan. His time is about up.
  • ddraver
    Well, this spring said different but ok...
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    ddraver said:

Well, this spring said different but ok...

You've lost me now. When did anyone have to chase him? Or what did he do to suggest he's better than mvdp, wva or pidcock?
  • RichN95.
    Remember Sagan had COVID at the beginning of the season.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    Sagan made me look like a mug (well, I made myself look like a mug), Cav style, by going out and winning PR in a pretty dominant manner when I said there was no chance given how he sits on a bike, so I'm not going to doubt the man.

He seems to be uber professional and is crazy consistent - he will still win some big races.
  • Pross

Sagan made me look like a mug (well, I made myself look like a mug), Cav style, by going out and winning PR in a pretty dominant manner when I said there was no chance given how he sits on a bike, so I'm not going to doubt the man.

He seems to be uber professional and is crazy consistent - he will still win some big races.

Sure, but will he win enough to justify a team having to shed a third of their current squad to make way for his alleged demands? He's shown in the past that he doesn't really need much team support to win races and now he's no longer the undisputed number 1 in most of the Classics I'm struggling to see anyone prepared to agree to that. Of course, it may all just be bollox and he'll only want Juraj and one or two others.
  • rick_chasey
    I dunno. You might be right. He is properly box office though. Still.

I mean OK now you also have WvA and MvdP so he is not longer in a league of his own.

Take this year though. The guy gets knocked out with rona, and he still wins you a stage of the Giro and takes home the points jersey.

(I'd also argue he's leaned on a few teammates like Oss rather a lot, but that's by the by)

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

I dunno. You might be right. He is properly box office though. Still.

I mean OK now you also have WvA and MvdP so he is not longer in a league of his own.

Take this year though. The guy gets knocked out with rona, and he still wins you a stage of the Giro and takes home the points jersey.

(I'd also argue he's leaned on a few teammates like Oss rather a lot, but that's by the by)

Yeah, his Giro win definitely used the team a lot too - get them to set a really hard pace over the climbs to ditch the rest of the fast guys, then Sagan wins from the remainder. So while he has been able to win without much team support in the past, that team tactic does seem to be the most surefire method for getting him a win (as close as you can get in cycling anyway).

Probably wouldn't work as well if there was another quick guy who can climb in the race (WVA for example, but not on team duties), as they would be able to make the climb same as Sagan.
  • RichN95.
    Pross said:

Sure, but will he win enough to justify a team having to shed a third of their current squad to make way for his alleged demands? He's shown in the past that he doesn't really need much team support to win races and now he's no longer the undisputed number 1 in most of the Classics I'm struggling to see anyone prepared to agree to that. Of course, it may all just be bollox and he'll only want Juraj and one or two others.

Reportedly the riders he wanted to come with him were Bodnar and Oss, who have definitely done great work for him over the years, and Erik Baska and his brother Juraj, Slovak riders he has only done two races with since the beginning of 2020
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Reportedly the riders he wanted to come with him were Bodnar and Oss, who have definitely done great work for him over the years, and Erik Baska and his brother Juraj, Slovak riders he has only done two races with since the beginning of 2020
    Outside of national champs wins Juraj has a second place to his name on a Tour of Langkawi stage. Other than that his best result seems to be 14th at GW. His best ranking is 535th in 2017. Is it unfair to say he wouldn't have been a WT pro for over a decade (if at all) without having a brother who could insist on him being given a place in his teams?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,142
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Outside of national champs wins Juraj has a second place to his name on a Tour of Langkawi stage. Other than that his best result seems to be 14th at GW. His best ranking is 535th in 2017. Is it unfair to say he wouldn't have been a WT pro for over a decade (if at all) without having a brother who could insist on him being given a place in his teams?
    Possibly, yes. As a team sport, cycling is reliant on the hard working domestiques, who rarely, if ever, get their time in the spotlight. As an example, Salvatore Puccio has done ten years at Sky/Ineos, has never won a race, and is consistently ranked outside the top 350 riders in the world, but I doubt anyone in the management of Ineos doesn't recognise his value.

I think Juraj Sagan is seen as a bit of a joke, but he's consistently done 50+ race days a year for the team at the top level, so he clearly has enough ability to make it as a pro.
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2021
    Pross said:

Yes, but he's not someone who is helping Peter in races, as they are not doing races together. Such riders are largely hired as training partners. This is hardly unusual. They can all do a job on a pro team, but they are worth more due to their closeness to a star. As Adam Blythe (a training chum of Gilbert BTW) has said, riders that survive in the World Tour are the ones that find their niche.
  • Pross
    andyp said:

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Possibly, yes. As a team sport, cycling is reliant on the hard working domestiques, who rarely, if ever, get their time in the spotlight. As an example, Salvatore Puccio has done ten years at Sky/Ineos, has never won a race, and is consistently ranked outside the top 350 riders in the world, but I doubt anyone in the management of Ineos doesn't recognise his value.

I think Juraj Sagan is seen as a bit of a joke, but he's consistently done 50+ race days a year for the team at the top level, so he clearly has enough ability to make it as a pro.
    Possibly. I think Puccio's importance is obvious as he is seen riding on the front for hundreds of Kms although I seem to recall Zandio (possibly) getting stick back in the early days of Sky as he tended to do his work before the TV coverage started. The recent extended coverage helps us understand more of what they do. I suppose Juraj just gets noticed because of his name amongst all the others doing similar roles with no results to speak of (there are regular breaks with riders I've never heard of).

• rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Yes, but he's not someone who is helping Peter in races, as they are not doing races together. Such riders are largely hired as training partners. This is hardly unusual. They can all do a job on a pro team, but they are worth more due to their closeness to a star. As Adam Blythe (a training chum of Gilbert BTW) has said, riders that survive in the World Tour are the ones that find their niche.
    You see this *a lot* in Belgium. If you are interested in this stuff you can plot out who trains with who - they are at the point where the groups have their own names - and it's nothing to do with what pro team you are with.

Terpstra is the informal head of quite a tough bunch of Dutch pros who like to train in the wind all day.

The most prestigeous one in Flanders recently was the GvA and Naesen group. Wish I could remember their names. Rumour was GvA would *always* beat Naesen in the sprints for the stop signs.