DeadCalm said:

dish_dash said:

I wonder if the issue with DSM is that they just don't pay very much

This.

__
    dish_dash said:

but demand a lot...

Not this.

Why was Benoot there in the first place of they don't pay well? He must've had other offers.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    gsk82 said:

DeadCalm said:

dish_dash said:

This.

__
    dish_dash said:

but demand a lot...

Not this.

Why was Benoot there in the first place of they don't pay well? He must've had other offers.
    Not sure there were to be honest. Plus he's only interested in Dutch speaking teams.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235

gsk82 said:

DeadCalm said:

dish_dash said:

This.

__
    dish_dash said:

but demand a lot...

Not this.

Not sure there were to be honest. Plus he's only interested in Dutch speaking teams.
    Yep. I have no direct knowledge of Benoot, but I do have the fact that JV pay more than Sunweb on pretty good authority.
  • Benoot is one of those riders who is too strong to let up the road in dangerous breaks or solo, and not quick enough to be a factor in any real sort of sprint.
    Probably also feels he's too good to act as a pure domestique.

He's won 3 pro races in 7 full seasons as a pro.

What do you do with him if you're a DS?
  • Sounds like ineos train fodder
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    The Ineos train is dead now though I thought, it's all about the JV train, even more so since Dennis has moved across.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Sounds like ineos train fodder

He may think he's better than that. Although an Ineos paycheck probably helps change one's mind.....

Anyway, will be interesting to see if he's used as a stalking horse for WVA in the Classics.
  • rick_chasey

Sounds like ineos train fodder

He may think he's better than that. Although an Ineos paycheck probably helps change one's mind.....

Anyway, will be interesting to see if he's used as a stalking horse for WVA in the Classics.
    That is Benoot's best bet, though I think the days of '00s QS style tactics of having a strong man up the road with Boonen playing stop with his sprint are over for now, as the likes of WvA, JA and MvdP are happy to rip it up from a lot further out and make it less about team tactics and more man v man tactics.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    I remember when Benoot was being touted as the next Boonen...

Isn't there a suggestion that WvA has been left a bit isolated towards the end of races and his response is get on the front and tire himself out... so having a few more teammates around him for longer into the race means he can sit in more.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I think it's fair to say that he hasn't realised the expectation put on him
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Didn't I see no licence for Qhubeka for 2022?
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash said:

I remember when Benoot was being touted as the next Boonen...

Isn't there a suggestion that WvA has been left a bit isolated towards the end of races and his response is get on the front and tire himself out... so having a few more teammates around him for longer into the race means he can sit in more.

Pretty much.

Benoot has poor positioning and it really costs him.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    This is a major problem with the World Tour and more specifically the race organisers. Especially ASO.

A team like Qhukeka should be a Pro Conti team introducing African riders to the pro ranks. But they won't get the invites to big races. ASO, RCS etc will hand out the wild cards to locals. Ironically I think this hurts French cycling.

There need to be fewer WT teams and more wild cards with more diversity. Back in the 80s they branched out into 7-11, ANC and Cafe de Colombia. Now they are shutting those routes off in favour of French indulgence.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Back in the 80s the French teams were getting in on their own merit so the TDF could afford to branch out. Now they rely on wild cards to get a few French riders on the start line and they can’t afford to be so generous.
  • Just checked and interesting that the 2 French WT teams, who used to (esp in FDJ case) be almost totally French, each had 'only' 4 French riders in this years tour.

Total had 5.

B&B, who I didn't even notice in the race, (which is maybe the point being made), had a full French team....

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

B&B, who I didn't even notice in the race, (which is maybe the point being made), had a full French team....

Did you actually watch the Tour? Franck Bonnamour won the most combative rider prize, justifiably.
  • andyp said:

Did you actually watch the Tour? Franck Bonnamour won the most combative rider prize, justifiably.
    Mea Culpa.

I did but only the highlights the last week tho.
  • DeadCalm
    edited December 2021
    RichN95. said:

This is a major problem with the World Tour and more specifically the race organisers. Especially ASO.

A team like Qhukeka should be a Pro Conti team introducing African riders to the pro ranks. But they won't get the invites to big races. ASO, RCS etc will hand out the wild cards to locals. Ironically I think this hurts French cycling.

There need to be fewer WT teams and more wild cards with more diversity. Back in the 80s they branched out into 7-11, ANC and Cafe de Colombia. Now they are shutting those routes off in favour of French indulgence.

In the last TDF, Qhubeka's highest stage placing was 10th (worse than all the French wildcard teams), their best GC finisher was Henao in 21st, over an hour down, and they finished 21st in the team competition, behind all 3 French wildcards. They were represented by a Colombian, a Spaniard, an American, an Australian, a Belgian, an Austrian and, oh, a South African.

Edit:

Interestingly, I see that Qhubeka's demise means that next year Arkea Samsic get an automatic wildcard for all WT races alongside Alpecin Fenix (spit!), so there will likely be a new team in the TDF. I'd hope that it would be Uno-X.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Dylan Groenewegen to bike exchange.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Groenewegan has been released and joined bike exchange
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    That's a good move for both parties.
  • RichN95.
    DeadCalm said:

In the last TDF, Qhubeka's highest stage placing was 10th (worse than all the French wildcard teams), their best GC finisher was Henao in 21st, over an hour down, and they finished 21st in the team competition, behind all 3 French wildcards. They were represented by a Colombian, a Spaniard, an American, an Australian, a Belgian, an Austrian and, oh, a South African.

Which emphasises my point. Qhebeka are a Pro Conti standard team but have to operate at WT level to get into decent races. And as a result they are overstretched. While French teams are guaranteed invites so can operate at Pro Conti level with a WT level riders and target fewer races.
  • RichN95.
    Nico Roche has joined the Irish version of Strictly Come Dancing
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Will he get selection for the Strictly Tour team?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    No Sam Bennett's a shoe in for one legged tap dancing.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • DeadCalm
    RichN95. said:

DeadCalm said:

Which emphasises my point. Qhebeka are a Pro Conti standard team but have to operate at WT level to get into decent races. And as a result they are overstretched. While French teams are guaranteed invites so can operate at Pro Conti level with a WT level riders and target fewer races.
    I still don't understand your point. They didn't need to go WT. The last year Qhubeka were pro-conti they got a wildcard to the TDF. The year before that, they had a wildcard to the Vuelta. They were getting into decent races. I accept that they are unlikely to get wildcards anytime soon, but that's not because of any conspiracy, but because they are pretty useless and more importantly, have barely any African riders.
  • RichN95.
    DeadCalm said:

I still don't understand your point. They didn't need to go WT. The last year Qhubeka were pro-conti they got a wildcard to the TDF. The year before that, they had a wildcard to the Vuelta. They were getting into decent races. I accept that they are unlikely to get wildcards anytime soon, but that's not because of any conspiracy, but because they are pretty useless and more importantly, have barely any African riders.

Fact check: Qhebeka have been a World Tour team since 2016.

We also now have a situation were there are 19 WT teams, plus the top PCT team getting a blanket invite. So only three wildcards. This may go back to just two soon. The Tour gave all three to French teams, the Vuelta all to Spanish teams and the Giro two to Italian teams and Basso's team.

The so called World Tour has been shut off for most of the world. While French teams, who have only won seven races in 13 seasons of the World Tour get 30% of the spots in the biggest race. I don't think it is right
  • DeadCalm said:

gsk82 said:

DeadCalm said:

dish_dash said:

This.

__
    dish_dash said:

but demand a lot...

Not this.

Yep. I have no direct knowledge of Benoot, but I do have the fact that JV pay more than Sunweb on pretty good authority.
    There was me thinking EF had a bigger budget for 2022... but I get it now :)