The Royals

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    There was pretty much the exact same thing for Churchill. Don't know why you lot are finding it difficult to grasp that different people have different feelings about things. It's not weird if it happens in similar circumstances around the world and through history.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Thanks for making me look.
    Weird
    adjective, weird·er, weird·est.
    involving or suggesting the supernatural; unearthly or uncanny:
    a weird sound;
    weird lights.
    strange; odd; bizarre:
    a weird getup.
    Archaic.
    concerned with or controlling fate or destiny.
    noun Chiefly Scot.
    fate; destiny.
    Weird,
    one of the Fates.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    rjsterry said:

There was pretty much the exact same thing for Churchill. Don't know why you lot are finding it difficult to grasp that different people have different feelings about things. It's not weird if it happens in similar circumstances around the world and through history.

I would say they were different times and that people were less deferential now but that doesn't seem to be the case. Also, Churchill led through the war and died in living memory of those it directly affected. These days a large part of the country seems to be ambivalent or opposed to the monarchy so you're more likely to find people who think it is strange behaviour.
  • Wonderful.
    I am due to fly out of Cardiff airport at 6-10am tomorrow.
    Just been announce that there will be airspace restrictions around Cardiff on Friday from 6am....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Wonderful.
    I am due to fly out of Cardiff airport at 6-10am tomorrow.
    Just been announce that there will be airspace restrictions around Cardiff on Friday from 6am....

but the AJ/Fury fight isn't until December.

what they playing at?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    Convenient excuse all round.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • King's off to Cardiff tomorrow.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

King's off to Cardiff tomorrow.

First in line for tickets for the AJ fight I understand

#canny
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • King's off to Cardiff tomorrow.

Back to the earlier comments about having Kirby commentate.
    Just thinking about Sean Kelly with his, "King Charles the Turds", has me grinning.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Good to see the UK armed forces showing their adaptability despite budget cuts. The navy don’t have enough ships and the cavalry don’t have enough horses so they are using a load of spare sailors to tow the gun carriage bearing the coffin.
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2022

Just thinking about Sean Kelly with his, "King Charles the Turds", has me grinning.
    Tbf, my first thought was something along those lines last week.
    Anything "the third" is asking for mockery.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Pross said:

Good to see the UK armed forces showing their adaptability despite budget cuts. The navy don’t have enough ships and the cavalry don’t have enough horses so they are using a load of spare sailors to tow the gun carriage bearing the coffin.

You're better than that Pross.
  • Pross

Pross said:

It just amused me seeing 150 navy personnel pulling a carriage intended to be pulled by a team of horses.
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

It just amused me seeing 150 navy personnel pulling a carriage intended to be pulled by a team of horses.
    They probably have enough admirals to do the job
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

They can update the nickname of the degree to a Charles now.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

They can update the nickname of the degree to a Charles now.
    But that's different from a Desmond.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    I’ve found the worst take on the funeral.

Courtesy of the independent:

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    edited September 2022
    Pross said:

For the two or three of us here not old enough to have seen the last funeral of a monarch, If this went completely over your head...

https://inews.co.uk/news/the-queen-funeral-reason-royal-navy-sailors-pull-gun-carriage-explained-1860073

(Quite a good story tbh. Would make a good Armando Iannucci
    type sketch...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Just realised reading that that it must have been the king's funeral procession my mum saw, not Churchill's. D'oh.

• “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Haha, really worth a watch, not least for how engaged Queenie was...and telling Heath "You're expendible now!"

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Was down on the South Bank yesterday for non-queue reasons and it's quite a thing to see it in the flesh. Took this from Blackfriars Station as we were heading home.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388

Kate dun made it worse...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited March 11

That is, if you believe Kate actually edited the photo or wrote that statement...

🙂

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202

It's a shame because she's a great addition to the Royals, always smiling, seems to always look OK with the meet and greet nature of the role. I hope all this negative attention doesn't make her bitter towards it.

It is a bit odd though why she hasn't been seen in public since the end of December? And it explains why they made up a photo to quell social media, which couldn't be dragged up as an old photo.

• Pross

I’m surprised at the amount of people who do seem to think the Royals do their own press releases.

My wild guess is they sent their press people a photo to be released, press person decided she wasn’t looking her best still and decided to modify the photo but made a complete hash of it and then either Kate decided an apology had to be issued and took the blame or someone else decided that on her behalf. You would think the Royals would have more competent and in touch people but they often seem to mess up these things.

Hopefully there isn’t anything more serious with her health as at the end of the day she’s a young mother of three rather than just the future King’s wife.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596

The Sun is being supportive

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416

Obviously a fake photo - there are leaves on the tree and it's not raining. Pure Gen-AI pic.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]