The Royals

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    So.... the problem with humans behaving like humans is....? Or are we all (supposed to be) perfect in every way? Don't think that works somehow.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

Given the less than startling revelations that Meg was less than truthful, should this really go into the Irony thread?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/24/prince-harry-joins-us-initiative-to-tackle-fake-news

Come now Bally you've already been pulled on this. If a person of colour makes a complaint of racism then we must take it entirely on face value because it's their lived experience, their truth, and facts and evidence have no place in these discussions. Own your white privilege you loser.
    Its ironic who you have chosen as your avatar.
    Yes it's almost like I can venerate one of the greatest athletes and human beings of my generation and respect his struggles against racism, whilst simultaneously being sceptical about some of the more lurid accusations made by a highly privileged person and the motives thereof of someone else who happens to share the same skin colour as one of my idols.
    Your comment didn't come across about one individual though, it was general about people of colour.
    I think my meaning has been lost in translation. My comment was about a specific answer given to Bally by another poster. I tried to find it but I lost the will to live when searching for it so just take my word for it. Suffice it to say, I can simultaneously believe that Muhammed Ali was a wonderful human being whilst holding that Meghan Markle's bleatings on Oprah were questionable, vengeful, in some cases proveably untrue, and said with malice.
    No worries. You seem a decent sort of chap in general and the written word can often be misconstrued.

Yes, a lot of their claims can be seen as he said/she said or on the face of it untrue, however I think it is undoubted that some sections of press have been prejudiced against her from day one and, it's very likely there is some racism behind it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited March 2021
    so have we established that just because she's half white and half black we legitimately can think she's fos?

not withstanding we are for the most part white and male?

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    She personally blanked Piers Morgan, so can almost understand his obsession with her (given his personality).
  • elbowloh
    They had a lady on Breakfast this morning to talk about wellbeing/mental health and introduced her as also being "a close friend of Princess Diana", not sure how that qualified her to talk about the subject any more than the fact she was a psychotherapist, but it just shows how determined the media are to squeeze in royal references as much as possible.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    elbowloh said:

They had a lady on Breakfast this morning to talk about wellbeing/mental health and introduced her as also being "a close friend of Princess Diana", not sure how that qualified her to talk about the subject any more than the fact she was a psychotherapist, but it just shows how determined the media are to squeeze in royal references as much as possible.

and why is Diana relevant to this whole well being lifestyle anyway. she died well before we all became grief jockeys. albeit she produced one of the biggest advocates of victimhood herself.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    elbowloh said:

Glad you said that as I was watching and thought I'd missed some kind of connection
  • Pross
    david37 said:

elbowloh said:

and why is Diana relevant to this whole well being lifestyle anyway. she died well before we all became grief jockeys. albeit she produced one of the biggest advocates of victimhood herself.
    I'd say her death was the first time I can recall experiencing the "outpouring of national grief" where people took to travelling across the country to add to the unnecessary mountain of flowers for the death of someone they'd never met and only knew through skewed (one way or the other) media reporting.

To this day I struggle to understand the hysteria around her death outside of her family and friends. If anyone has ever watched Evita it reminds more very much of that ending.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

I'd say her death was the first time I can recall experiencing the "outpouring of national grief" where people took to travelling across the country to add to the unnecessary mountain of flowers for the death of someone they'd never met and only knew through skewed (one way or the other) media reporting.

To this day I struggle to understand the hysteria around her death outside of her family and friends. If anyone has ever watched Evita it reminds more very much of that ending.
    I was bus commuting past Kensington Palace and it was beyond weird.
  • Everytime i see a royal in the media my support for abolishing them grows a little bit more.
  • elbowloh

Pross said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

I was bus w@nkering past Kensington Palace and it was beyond weird.
    Ftfy
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    I see Piers Morgan is talking on national TV in America about how he's been silenced. To add to his Mail on Sunday column where he broke his silence about being silenced. And when he broke his silence with a tweet.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Apparently he has "universal" support from the British public. 😅
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    rjsterry said:

It's quite a claim.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    rjsterry said:

Wow. I found him unwatchable whether I agreed with his point or not. Very glad he’s gone and can gladly withdraw his universal support.
  • Pross
    morstar said:

rjsterry said:

Wow. I found him unwatchable whether I agreed with his point or not. Very glad he’s gone and can gladly withdraw his universal support.
    He quite often made me re-think my view but only when I found myself on the same side of the debate as him
  • elbowloh
    I thought and still think he's an absolute cnut who should never be given the oxygen of publicity after the proven lies he has published/told
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,501
    Breaking News . . . Buckingham Palace announce the death of Prince Phillip
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701

Bloody typical.
    They've gone and trumped Megan's sympathy card.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham

Bloody typical.
    I think you underestimate her capacity for self promotion.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

Bloody typical.
    At least we won't hear anything from Piers Morgan about it now he's been silenced
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Jesus,the forelock tugging is going to be nauseating....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    edited April 2021
    15 minutes from the announcement to the first ceremonial blaming of meghan.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    FFS no 6 Music this afternoon as all BBC radio broadcasting the same thing.
  • kingstongraham
    mrb123 said:

FFS no 6 Music this afternoon as all BBC radio broadcasting the same thing.

I had hoped we would be less officially weird about this. Are we supposed to be in days of mourning or something?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    ddraver said:

Jesus,the forelock tugging is going to be nauseating....

within 30 minutes I had to shout 'koff at the radio.

They had royal expert on, who amongst other stuff said (something on the lines of)...

"I can't imagine what life will be like without him"

My sympathy to the family, it's hard when you lose anybody, but really?

The older I get, the better I was.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited April 2021
    Both BBC 1 and 2 have cleared their schedules all the way until tomorrow for their "Special News" broadcast.
    This is the same BBC that allegedly is going to stop making programmes for the over 50s, to concentrate on attracting a younger audience.
    Maybe they meant a much cheaper audience?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Think Spotify is going to experience a surge today.

Don't really get the logic of BBC putting on this blanket, all channels the same. They do realise there are other options, they don't hold a monopoly over what dUK residents can listen to?

And this is a 99yo. Not exactly a shock to our world.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    orraloon said:

Think Spotify is going to experience a surge today.

Don't really get the logic of BBC putting on this blanket, all channels the same. They do realise there are other options, they don't hold a monopoly over what dUK residents can listen to?

And this is a 99yo. Not exactly a shock to our world.

It's just a dress rehearsal for when Queenie goes. That'll be the full works.