The Royals

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    What does being "right on" mean? It makes me imagine this but I can't think that's the intention:

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Trolls gonna troll. It's what turns them on.
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    david37 said:

the munter has complained to Ofcom because she didn't receive support what an entitled sow.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56379830

I suspect you have a bit of a drink problem.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

😶
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Wow.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Epic
  • orraloon
    Is that gammon heating up I detect? How dare those furriners poke fun at Betty. Was going to use that Ram Jam band song 'Black Betty' but of course it's the wrong way round...
  • shirley_basso
    Good article in The Times today.

Basically it was a crock - when it could have been an epic tale of race reconciliation.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    orraloon said:

Is that gammon heating up I detect? How dare those furriners poke fun at Betty. Was going to use that Ram Jam band song 'Black Betty' but of course it's the wrong way round...

Tbf, I too, took it as poking fun at Betty and thought it rather good. But according to the media, I should be outraged as some things are off limits. ;)

Btw, I don't think there is a definitive origin of the 'Black Betty' song is there?
  • orraloon
    Seemingly 'black betty' was a term for a moonshine liquor in the days of Benjamin Franklin of USAnian history fame.

Course I could take offence at its clear racist connotations if I were inventive enough and woke enough. Nah, xxxx it, I'll open a beer instead 'n' chill.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

Good article in The Times today.

Basically it was a crock - when it could have been an epic tale of race reconciliation.

May be the same one I read, which highlighted that some aspects of the Sussex’s story wasn’t quite as stated (e.g. There was mention that if Harry thought the family had financially cut him off he should take a look at his bank statements and see from whom incomings were originating).
  • shirley_basso
    Not that one.

Was by a high profile black journalist - basically saying the interview was full of nonsense and inconsistency and fairly unhelpful to both them and the UK RF.

But it did go on to say what could have been....
  • kingstonian

Not that one.

Was by a high profile black journalist - basically saying the interview was full of nonsense and inconsistency and fairly unhelpful to both them and the UK RF.

Ah, ok. I think there is a fair amount of truth to that perspective.
  • ballysmate

Not that one.

Hope for his job's sake, he stopped short of saying that he didn't believe a word of it. ;)

• shirley_basso
    He said it was all unsubstantiated and very tone deaf to the UK audience (not necessarily target though).

His final point was that Megan not knowing Harry was pretty useless. When they met he was world famous for a) dressing as a Nazi and b) calling his army colleague a paki.

Just a conversation of how they overcame that could have become a meaningful story of race reconciliation.

Sorry I can't remember the guys name but he knows the RF well as he was the first black board member of one of Prince Charles charties / trusts.
  • kingstonian
    Buckingham Palace have instructed an independent law firm to investigate the accusations of bullying levelled at Megan. Very sensible move to have it investigated independently and not by Palace staff.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited March 2021

Buckingham Palace have instructed an independent law firm to investigate the accusations of bullying levelled at Megan. Very sensible move to have it investigated independently and not by Palace staff.

Hmm. I'd describe it as "third party" rather than "independent" as someone with vested interest picking up the tab.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Hmm. I'd describe it as "third party" rather than "independent" as someone with vested interest picking up the tab.
    It is all a bit of a waste of time unless Meghan and Harry are willing to be interviewed and then be subjected to its outcome.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    john80 said:

It is all a bit of a waste of time unless Meghan and Harry are willing to be interviewed and then be subjected to its outcome.
    I believe they've already asked for any evidence behind the claims through their own legal reps.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    going back to the original point about the Royals. It should be wound down. The monarch has an interest in law making via the Queens Consent which requires the Govt to inform the Monarch of any changes that would impact on the Crowns interests eg money. More on this here.
    https://www.legalcheek.com/lc-journal-posts/what-is-queens-consent-and-why-it-matters/#:~:text=Essentially, Queen's consent is the,parliament to debate the bill.&text=Further, royal assent is very,royal assent had been granted.

The Royals have enough houses, money etc to last lifetimes as well as all the connections which ensure nothing is going to change.
  • kingstonian
    So Charles, William and Harry had a conversation a few days ago, and almost immediately one of Meghan’s friends publicly announced both that it had happened and that it hadn’t been particularly successful. I can’t imagine that Charles or William will be particularly impressed at how swiftly word got out.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

So Charles, William and Harry had a conversation a few days ago, and almost immediately one of Meghan’s friends publicly announced both that it had happened and that it hadn’t been particularly successful. I can’t imagine that Charles or William will be particularly impressed at how swiftly word got out.

How thoroughly out of character for her to invade her own privacy again.
  • ballysmate
    So much for guarding their privacy eh?
  • kingstonian
    Yes, all very strange that someone that wants to retain their private life would act this way.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536
    Maybe she is friends with Rebecca Vardy.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Has David the downtrodden white guy been banned yet?

Oh, and for the record, the Queen should be referred to as "Brenda", not Betty

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • orraloon
    secretsam said:

Oh aye, she cannae be Sweaty Betty otherwise child #3 wouldn't have that no-sweat attribute.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

that's because you're a virtue signalling hang wringing soft lad. Jesus Christ you work for a bank you have ZERO room for credible holier than though credibility.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    secretsam said:

Has David the downtrodden white guy been banned yet?

do you think I should be? not woke enough?
  • shirley_basso
    You realise that woke isn't an insult, right? To not be woke would be worse - selfish, emotionally vacant and void of simpathy.