The Royals

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,900

But they are trying to help people understand their life by presenting it on opera - and in doing so making it more confusing.

Anyway - I get your point but it's all so bloody weird. And I cannot get my head around the conscious decision of a member of the royal family who's own mother was killed by the press - to air his family's dirty laundry on a television chatshow.

It's beyond belief.

Oprah. If they do an Opera that really would be surreal.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    rjsterry said:

But they are trying to help people understand their life by presenting it on opera - and in doing so making it more confusing.

Anyway - I get your point but it's all so bloody weird. And I cannot get my head around the conscious decision of a member of the royal family who's own mother was killed by the press - to air his family's dirty laundry on a television chatshow.

It's beyond belief.

The difference is with Oprah, they were in control. That's very different from a paper publishing a story based on some long lens photography and some third hand gossip.
    That 👆

I don't know how to slice the security problem, but the issue is that just because he leaves, doesn't t mean he stops being a target so...yeah maybe thee should be a contribution.

I guess in the US he can go down the street and buy a gun. He'd be one of the few there who knows how to use them.

Finally, let's be honest, in LA they re barely c-list paparazzi fodder. It's only the UK press that's so...weird.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

So-called 'woke' and 'cancel' culture are likely to lead eventually to some fairly significant - and long overdue - changes in society, hopefully. If this forum is anything to go by, then the people who seem to be 'against' such changes are exactly the type of people I would expect to be against it.

this is a racist post

• david37

No - I said that some people need more support to succeed as they may have deep insecurities and an inferiority complex, or imposter syndrome. It's not uncommon for successful black people and women to have felt like this - I see it among my connections on LinkedIn. That help, support and guidance may mean that suddently these people will be better position to be promoted and succeed whereas they weren't historically. That means the white male may find more competition for the same job role so needs to up his game. If he doesn't up his game, he doesn't get promoted.

What's the issue here? Generally speaking, if you are a good performing individual, all companies provide guidance and an appraisal process to help you get promoted. - so what if others need a bit more support.

Also - if some imbalance the other way is required to rebalance the scale, I can get over that - mind you, I don't get worried about seeing generally oppressed people being given an opportunity.

you're advocating treating some people more favourably on the basis of their colour . This is direct racism

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120

secretsam said:

orraloon said:

^ Coopster, you're going to get yourself banned again. ( Edit: not you secret squirrel, but the poster above)

It was quite nice outside today, windy, couple showers but lot of sunshine. Fresh air, gooood. And no browsing the internet for who's winding up who. Enjoyed.

Secret Squirrel??? Now I'm REALLY offended :D
    Oy!

Sorry, thought he meant me

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    david37 said:

No - I said that some people need more support to succeed as they may have deep insecurities and an inferiority complex, or imposter syndrome. It's not uncommon for successful black people and women to have felt like this - I see it among my connections on LinkedIn. That help, support and guidance may mean that suddently these people will be better position to be promoted and succeed whereas they weren't historically. That means the white male may find more competition for the same job role so needs to up his game. If he doesn't up his game, he doesn't get promoted.

What's the issue here? Generally speaking, if you are a good performing individual, all companies provide guidance and an appraisal process to help you get promoted. - so what if others need a bit more support.

Also - if some imbalance the other way is required to rebalance the scale, I can get over that - mind you, I don't get worried about seeing generally oppressed people being given an opportunity.

you're advocating treating some people more favourably on the basis of their colour . This is direct racism

So be it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited March 2021
    Is everything ok?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited March 2021
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Is everything ok?

It symbolises that she likes pink.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shirley_basso
    edited March 2021
    rjsterry said:

It's beyond belief.

The difference is with Oprah, they were in control. That's very different from a paper publishing a story based on some long lens photography and some third hand gossip.
    I totally get what you're saying but this felt more like a load of poorly presented allegations against their own family on national television.

Maybe it was a bit, fat, fukc you to the British royal family and press. Which is exactly what they deserve.
  • shirley_basso

Is everything ok?

Hahahaha
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930

ddraver said:

I'm not unsympathetic to your list, although I think you are being a little harsh on Meghan.

At the end of the day for me though is that if we are to shrink/Streamline the monarchy a little, as Charles is reputed to want, then actually this is the sort of thing that is going to happen. The children low down the line of succession are going to have to go and make their own way in the world (as much as any child of a mega-rich family ever 'makes their own way' - but, that's not a monarchy problem, it's a capitalism problem).

On the whole, serving in a war zone, spending some time cutting ribbons, charity work and marrying a hot actress seems like a pretty decent way of achieving this.

Again, I'm left unable to see anything else here other than a self-obsessed media circle jerk about...really very little. They have made the, entirely reasonable, choice to leave all that behind and given up (by their standards) an awful lot. Yet the circus of shite has followed them...

Agree with much of what you say......the only addition is that Harry appears to feel that if he steps away from a frontline royal role (which he’s entitled to do, and I don’t blame him) the taxpayer should continue funding whatever security he requires (which is a ridiculous expectation IMO).

Agree 100%
    He seems to have been seriously miffed when daddy stopped paying his security bill when he was in Canada and the Canadians refusing to pay it, saying his family had cut him off.
    He claimed he felt unsafe in BC because the British media had made their location known to the world.
    So he left the very dangerous Vancouver island and headed to the little backwater of LA and announced his location to the world himself.
  • focuszing723

ddraver said:

I'm not unsympathetic to your list, although I think you are being a little harsh on Meghan.

At the end of the day for me though is that if we are to shrink/Streamline the monarchy a little, as Charles is reputed to want, then actually this is the sort of thing that is going to happen. The children low down the line of succession are going to have to go and make their own way in the world (as much as any child of a mega-rich family ever 'makes their own way' - but, that's not a monarchy problem, it's a capitalism problem).

On the whole, serving in a war zone, spending some time cutting ribbons, charity work and marrying a hot actress seems like a pretty decent way of achieving this.

Again, I'm left unable to see anything else here other than a self-obsessed media circle jerk about...really very little. They have made the, entirely reasonable, choice to leave all that behind and given up (by their standards) an awful lot. Yet the circus of shite has followed them...

Agree with much of what you say......the only addition is that Harry appears to feel that if he steps away from a frontline royal role (which he’s entitled to do, and I don’t blame him) the taxpayer should continue funding whatever security he requires (which is a ridiculous expectation IMO).

Agree 100%
    He seems to have been seriously miffed when daddy stopped paying his security bill when he was in Canada and the Canadians refusing to pay it, saying his family had cut him off.
    He claimed he felt unsafe in BC because the British media had made their location known to the world.
    So he left the very dangerous Vancouver island and headed to the little backwater of LA and announced his location to the world himself.
    It's been mentioned a few times now. They have decided to take control of the situation and do what's best for their family.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

William didn't deny that the conversation took place

he didn't confirm it did either did he?
    Do you not think it weird he didn't address the specific accusation that was made?
    To be fair, there hasn’t been a specific accusation to address.

Which is why there has been so much speculative debate.

William could have said well one of the family has a history - then referred the journalist to the clip of Harry in the army on YouTube using racist language referring to an Asian colleague and the local population of Afghanistan.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

Do you not think it weird he didn't address the specific accusation that was made?

William could have said well one of the family has a history - then referred the journalist to the clip of Harry in the army on YouTube using racist language referring to an Asian colleague and the local population of Afghanistan.
    It was only one of those inane shouted questions as he walked from one event to another. Surprised he dignified it with a response.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

It was only one of those inane shouted questions as he walked from one event to another. Surprised he dignified it with a response.
    I was getting the impression from people here that he'd released a formal statement. Watching the very short clip gave quite a different impression.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

I was getting the impression from people here that he'd released a formal statement. Watching the very short clip gave quite a different impression.
    It was still reported as 'William breaks silence' which was almost as ridiculous as the same phrase being used to describe Morgan briefly pausing for breath.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

TBF, it's easy to do that around here, where pages of interpretation can follow a couple of spoken words.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

TBF, it's easy to do that around here, where pages of interpretation can follow a couple of spoken words.
    ;-)
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,027

Is everything ok?

Hahahaha
    Looks like she is wearing that colour under duress.

Clearly not her colour.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Pross said:

Maybe it's because I am a lot older than most on here, or maybe I am not very bright, but have to admit to being a bit lost with the direction the debate seems to have taken.

Prince William has countered Megan's accusation this morning by saying and I quote: "We're very much not a racist family."

Is this an example of what Rick calls a white man playing the victim, or can his response be given equal consideration?

It's a non-statement, isn't it?
    So what can they say? How do you prove you aren't racist? Your point seems to be that if a black person says you are racist you just have to accept that you are.
    Yup.
    I gave up at that point as I knew Rick would just go around in ever increasing circles.
    On this, what I'm trying to say is that it's a pointless question. Hence the analogy of asking a pro-cyclist if they dope.

If they do or don't, the answer will be the same so why ask it.
  • focuszing723

Pross said:

Maybe it's because I am a lot older than most on here, or maybe I am not very bright, but have to admit to being a bit lost with the direction the debate seems to have taken.

Prince William has countered Megan's accusation this morning by saying and I quote: "We're very much not a racist family."

Is this an example of what Rick calls a white man playing the victim, or can his response be given equal consideration?

It's a non-statement, isn't it?
    So what can they say? How do you prove you aren't racist? Your point seems to be that if a black person says you are racist you just have to accept that you are.
    Yup.
    I gave up at that point as I knew Rick would just go around in ever increasing circles.
    On this, what I'm trying to say is that it's a pointless question. Hence the analogy of asking a pro-cyclist if they dope.

If they do or don't, the answer will be the same so why ask it.
    Sure, but people can respond in very different ways and then the public can speculate on what was said adding to the intrigue. Was William's tone angry? Is he going to phone his brother and give him a b0ll0ck1ng?
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    The question reminded me of this:

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    david37 said:

So-called 'woke' and 'cancel' culture are likely to lead eventually to some fairly significant - and long overdue - changes in society, hopefully. If this forum is anything to go by, then the people who seem to be 'against' such changes are exactly the type of people I would expect to be against it.

this is a racist post

How did you know I was talking about you?

• david37
    edited March 2021

david37 said:

So be it.
    Racism is

david37 said:

this is a racist post

do you agree with Shirley then that discrimination in favour of Black people is a worthwhile exercise?

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    david37 said:

david37 said:

So be it.
    Racism is

david37 said:

this is a racist post

do you agree with Shirley then that discrimination in favour of Black people is a worthwhile exercise?

We have a winner.. ;)

To be clear though, I'd be in favour of more appropriate representation for all minorities in every environment. How that is achieved is another matter.
  • shirley_basso
    david37 said:

david37 said:

So be it.
    Racism is

david37 said:

this is a racist post

That's not quite what I said, but if it ends up with some positive discrimination in the short term, then I don't mind, no.
  • david37

david37 said:

david37 said:

So be it.
    Racism is

david37 said:

this is a racist post

That's not quite what I said, but if it ends up with some positive discrimination in the short term, then I don't mind, no.
    that's the second time you've advocated racial discrimination you foul racist. in this thread alone. I can only assume since you repeat that racial discrimination in favour of blacks is a good thing that you're a racist.

While you're very right on im surprised you haven't been banned.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    david37 said:

the munter has complained to Ofcom because she didn't receive support what an entitled sow.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56379830

Do you think you maybe have a problem with women?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • focuszing723
    david37 said:

the munter has complained to Ofcom because she didn't receive support what an entitled sow.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56379830

With what's been going on at the moment in the UK as well as these already crazy Covid times, try and have a bit of class.